UKBouldering.com

Angry Man at Shucks Lair (Read 8295 times)

nodder

• obsessive maniac
Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 03:22:35 pm
We went to find this crag the other day,  Just as we were leaving the footpath a couple of guys, guessing they would be the  gamekeepers, arrived and told us piss off.  His excact words were if i catch you in the woods further than 50m from the fairy steps then i will make sure you are prosecuted, I dont like fucking climbers they chopped down some Yew trees and i got in the shit for it from english heretige.  So there you go.

Stabbsy

• junky
#1 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 03:33:44 pm
There's a post on the Lakesbloc blog with some wider issues at Fairy Steps :-

http://lakesbloc.blogspot.com/2011/07/fairy-steps-access-issues.html

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 03:46:16 pm
Haha, I had a similar incident a couple of weeks back (one gamekeeper also had a rifle).

Personally would strongly advise not going there, to be fair it is in a runner pen for pheasants, people's (very expensive) livelihoods.

Also gamekeepers are highly unreliable and edgy people. 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 05:03:50 pm
His excact words were if i catch you in the woods further than 50m from the fairy steps then i will make sure you are prosecuted
Unless you're causing some sort of damage, what's he going to get you prosecuted with?

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 05:47:15 pm
His excact words were if i catch you in the woods further than 50m from the fairy steps then i will make sure you are prosecuted
Unless you're causing some sort of damage, what's he going to get you prosecuted with?

Stealing buckshot out the end of both barrels  :-\

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 08:50:59 pm
Dunno.  He couldnt tell me which of the two sets of steps were the fairy steps either.  Given the fact that we were clearly about to walk through a gate with no right of way that said as much on it to get to shucks, it seemed better to leave gracefully.   

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 09:03:54 pm
If you're asked to leave then fair enough, you should leave but the prosecution thing is nonsense unless you've caused damage, have criminal intent,  are being offensive, holding a rave, etc.

ju13

#7 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 04, 2011, 10:14:25 pm
Some friends of mine were having a picnic at the top of the upper steps and got told to piss of as it is just a right of way not a place to have lunch, seems they are really clamping down on people going there at all. there was a story in the papers afew years ago about a game keeper who attacked some school kids who were camping up there and threw rocks at their tents. hopefully it will get sorted soon as its only 15 min walk from my house.

BenF

• forum hero
#8 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 05, 2011, 09:04:26 am
Some friends of mine were having a picnic at the top of the upper steps and got told to piss of as it is just a right of way not a place to have lunch,

It's selfish behaviour like this that gets us nice outdoor types banned from the countryside we love.  What on earth were your friends doing?  Did they not think for even half a second to consider how their actions were endangering access?  Lunch is for eating at home, or in a restaurant.  Rights of way are for walking on.  Would they sit on a bench in a park and eat their lunch?  No, I thought not.  Benches are for sitting on. 

I hope your so called friends think hard before they try to enjoy the countryside and the pleasant summer weather in the future. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
August 05, 2011, 09:07:04 am
Signed

Perplexed of Tunbridge Wells.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#10 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 02:34:56 pm
This seemed as good a place as any to ask about the current situation, so...

Has anyone been chased off recently?

The BMC database is fairly ambiguous about access and there's nothing new on Lakesbloc since July 2011. Was thinking of taking the wife up there on our way to Ambleside for a dirty weekend soon...  :-\

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 02:42:40 pm
Not heard of any issues recently, although I only went once with Nik and we were underwhelmed.  Although, considering the access issues at Fairy Steps more recently then I presume Shucks may still be similar.

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 02:44:00 pm
I only went once with Nik and he was underwhelmed.

For a dirty weekend in Ambleside?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 02:45:33 pm
Yeah, very underwhelming.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#14 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 02:56:49 pm
Balls, I actually meant Fairy Steps not Shucks Lair. Don't think there'd be much at Shuck's for a man of my girth.

I appear to be having one of those days where I can't seem to do anything right...  :chair:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 03:00:06 pm
I spoke to Les about this earlier in the year and his policy was that climbing should continue and balls to the stalkers.

I know a few people have been and not had problems, so I'd say go along and if you get told to leave just go somewhere else.  Newbiggin has (some) pleasant girth-compatible problems in a nice area.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#16 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 03:04:20 pm
Great! Thanks Gareth...

joe dobson

• addict
#17 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 04, 2012, 05:17:17 pm
I was Shuck's Lair last week and didn't run into anyone and didn't see any noticeable damage to any tree's at all in the area  :-\

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 06, 2012, 11:43:20 am
I would probably avoid going at this time of year especially when they are rearing birds.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#19 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 10, 2012, 12:41:02 pm
Ha! I have visions of gamekeepers in musth...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
September 10, 2012, 12:47:52 pm

Ooh you're like a rutting stag aren't you sir!

NaoB

• player
#21 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
October 12, 2023, 11:12:51 am
We visited shucks on Sunday and had a run in with the gamekeeper. His girlfriend spotted us walking out (she was out for a jog with her dog) and he quickly drove out and caught us just as we were about to drive off. He was exceedingly aggressive, rude and intimidating in the way he approached us. We managed to ameliorate him to the point where we ended up having a positive, reasonable conversation. I got contact details for the Dallam Tower estate to pass on to the BMC access rep, but he did express the opinion that the landowner was absolutely not going to entertain any negotiations for access, and that she was actively taking measures to clamp down - cameras were mentioned.

The main reason the gamekeeper was so angry was that he didn't want anyone to disturb the pheasants, which he has hand reared and they are worth £60 a pop! He was also upset that climbers he had previously approached had been dismissive and rude to him. I'm not sure how much of this I believe because his girlfriend accused us of saying things to her that we definitely did not…. But then I can also imagine his style of confrontation getting people's backs up, so who knows.

Having spoken to the access rep today, he will try to find some workable solution perhaps for limited access at certain times of year. Don't hold your breath though.

Meanwhile, please bear in mind that the shooting season starts this week and potentially runs until January/February, and that the rearing season begins early summer. Also, approaching through the field is likely to result in a confrontation. The description in the guide takes you past the pens, which is clearly a complete no-no (we have never gone that way and have not at any point been near the pens FYI!).

I can totally understand why they don't want climbers there at this time of year. Hopefully they will see some sense in permitting access in a limited way at other times so that this amazing buttress can still be enjoyed with respect on both sides. Watch this space.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#22 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
October 12, 2023, 11:22:53 am
Cheers for the update! I was under the impression that the guidebook approach was almost entirely on public footpaths, is there a better approach that we should be following?

NaoB

• player
#23 Re: Angry Man at Shucks Lair
October 12, 2023, 11:28:14 am
The short answer is that there is no public footpath that goes all the way to shucks.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal