UKBouldering.com

RIP (Read 467379 times)

Nails

• addict
#1775 Re: RIP
January 30, 2024, 01:06:11 pm
Yes, I guess it is all a little over romantic. Perfect Guardian material where all evils are explained by a horrible upbringing. Trouble is that despite having an innate disdain for the smug self-righteousness of Guardian readers, I also am one. I find myself torn between thinking Leopards don't change their spots and loving the idea of the possibility of redemption. Whichever way you lean I think that Erwin James' writing is sufficiently good that he's worth exploring a little. I've bought one of his books, but only on Kindle.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 01:13:18 pm by Nails »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1776 Re: RIP
January 31, 2024, 02:41:01 am
Yes, I guess it is all a little over romantic. Perfect Guardian material where all evils are explained by a horrible upbringing. Trouble is that despite having an innate disdain for the smug self-righteousness of Guardian readers, I also am one. I find myself torn between thinking Leopards don't change their spots and loving the idea of the possibility of redemption. Whichever way you lean I think that Erwin James' writing is sufficiently good that he's worth exploring a little. I've bought one of his books, but only on Kindle.

And we’re currently going through the trauma of parole hearings, threats and intimidation by the family of the man who murdered the father of two of my children. My partner reading her own and the children’s victim impact statements at the hearing almost broke her (last Thursday).
Fortunately ( and I really mean that) the hearing was was adjourned part way through, as the “gentleman “ has a list as long as my arm of violent and drug related offences committed in jail (as recently as two weeks ago) and the board “wish to consider” this.
Unfortunately, (incomprehensibly) she now has to go through it all again in May.
Even if he is returned to Cat B (he lasted less than a day in Cat C, and yet was still allowed before the board) in May, the pantomime will be repeated in a year, then again, ad infinitum, until the victims tire of the stress and the system can dump him back into society.
The lead warder for his current wing, testified that he “was not responding well to confinement” and should be “ tested in the community” in one breath and then confirmed he had “ seriously assaulted” a member of staff only a few weeks ago, in the next.

So, colour me sceptical with a hint of jaded.

Nails

• addict
#1777 Re: RIP
January 31, 2024, 10:43:36 am
Sorry that you and your family are having to experience such a horrific situation. It's impossible to imagine what it must be like for someone who hasn't suffered anything remotely on that level. I suspect that not enough thought is given to the impact on victims of having to endlessly revisit the same trauma during the process of parole hearings. I also appreciate that it will probably be more than a little irksome listening to people like myself pontificate about the possibility of redemption. Apologies if that caused offence.

nik at work

• forum hero
#1778 Re: RIP
February 03, 2024, 07:31:40 am
Carl Weathers

Might have to have a Rocky-a-thon

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1780 Re: RIP
February 03, 2024, 03:02:53 pm
Thanks Kramer for services provided. I listen to Back in the USA a lot when I was slightly too old for the record. Fantastic, nevertheless.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1781 Re: RIP
February 03, 2024, 06:24:58 pm
Brilliant band. About 20 years ago, I went to the best festival and music weekend I’ve ever attended.  The Sonic Youth curated All-Tomorrows-Parties at Butlins Minehead.  The lineup was out of this world.

Iggy & The Stooges, Sonic Youth, Bardo Pond, Six Organs of Admittance, Jackie-O Motherfucker, My Cat Is an Alien, Melvins, Richard Youngs, Charalambides, The Skaters, Magik Markers, Alexander Tucker, Deerhoof, Wooden Wand, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Wolf Eyes, Negative Approach, The Dead C, Monotract, Prurient, Awesome Color, dkt/MC5, Dinosaur Jr., Gang of Four, Be Your Own Pet, Aaron Dilloway, Major Stars, Lambsbread, Hive Mind, Leslie Keffer, The Notekillers, Dead Machines, Family Underground, White Out w/ Nels Cline, Peter Brötzmann and Han Bennink, MV&EE + The Bummer Road, Hair Police, Bark Haze (Thurston Moore, Gown and Pete Nolan), Taurpis Tula, Islaja, The New Blockaders with The Haters, Nurse with Wound, 16 Bitch Pile-Up, Blood Stereo, Flipper, No-Neck Blues Band, Comets on Fire, Fursaxa, Double Leopards, Mouthus, Sun City Girls, Mats Gustafsson + EyE (Boredoms), Ashtray Navigations.

The Saturday night in the main hall was Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Iggy and the Stooges and the MC5.  When MC5 played Kick out the Jams, you had all of the above on the stage playing together. Incredible energy. What an experience. RIP Kramer.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1782 Re: RIP
February 04, 2024, 12:43:20 pm
Holy cow Ben!

Anyway, Aston "Family Man" Barrett.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1783 Re: RIP
February 04, 2024, 01:49:27 pm
Brilliant band. About 20 years ago, I went to the best festival and music weekend I’ve ever attended.  The Sonic Youth curated All-Tomorrows-Parties at Butlins Minehead.  The lineup was out of this world.

Iggy & The Stooges, Sonic Youth, Bardo Pond, Six Organs of Admittance, Jackie-O Motherfucker, My Cat Is an Alien, Melvins, Richard Youngs, Charalambides, The Skaters, Magik Markers, Alexander Tucker, Deerhoof, Wooden Wand, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Wolf Eyes, Negative Approach, The Dead C, Monotract, Prurient, Awesome Color, dkt/MC5, Dinosaur Jr., Gang of Four, Be Your Own Pet, Aaron Dilloway, Major Stars, Lambsbread, Hive Mind, Leslie Keffer, The Notekillers, Dead Machines, Family Underground, White Out w/ Nels Cline, Peter Brötzmann and Han Bennink, MV&EE + The Bummer Road, Hair Police, Bark Haze (Thurston Moore, Gown and Pete Nolan), Taurpis Tula, Islaja, The New Blockaders with The Haters, Nurse with Wound, 16 Bitch Pile-Up, Blood Stereo, Flipper, No-Neck Blues Band, Comets on Fire, Fursaxa, Double Leopards, Mouthus, Sun City Girls, Mats Gustafsson + EyE (Boredoms), Ashtray Navigations.

The Saturday night in the main hall was Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Iggy and the Stooges and the MC5.  When MC5 played Kick out the Jams, you had all of the above on the stage playing together. Incredible energy. What an experience. RIP Kramer.
That's one hell of a line-up!
As an aside, another deceased founder member of MC5 was Fred Sonic Smith who was the partner of Patti Smith and I believe her track 'Frederick' was written about him.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1784 Re: RIP
February 10, 2024, 04:05:56 pm
I believe that’s the case yeah.

Damo Suzuki (Can) today. RIP

https://youtu.be/FFYW5nZkpiA?feature=shared

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1785 Re: RIP
February 11, 2024, 06:21:49 am

Just seen that.Shit.

jakaitch

• regular
#1786 Re: RIP
February 11, 2024, 08:15:47 am
Saw him in Bristol a few years back. Was absolutely brilliant.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#1787 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 12:01:26 am
Kelvin Kiptum, age 24

https://news.sky.com/story/kelvin-kiptum-world-marathon-record-holder-and-his-coach-die-in-road-accident-13069858

Absolutely awful news. Had the world of marathon running at his feet, the baton surely passed on by Kipchoge. Who knows how fast he could have gone.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1788 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 01:39:10 am
He really was looking like he would be the one to breach the 2 hour marathon, at 24 he had so many years to improve especially when most marathon runners seem to peak in performance in their mid thirties. Such as sad loss for distance running.

T_B

• forum hero
#1789 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 07:29:57 am
I’m really upset by this.

The way he attacked the second half of the marathon was something else. I have no doubt we would have seen history made in Rotterdam.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#1790 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 07:58:31 am
Absolutely devastating news. Such an amazing talent. I honestly don't know who's even close to matching him. Marathon running is never going to be the same.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1791 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 08:01:05 am
Never run a competitive marathon outside of 2:02 🤯. And each marathon was faster than the last. Honestly seems like he was only just warming up

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#1792 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 08:11:19 am
Me and partner completely shocked by this news this morning. She’s massive into running (international races etc) so we’re pretty entrenched in the running world, this just came out of nowhere. A true gem lost to a freak accident. Hopefully this pushes the Kenyan government to improve their road quality and safety…

edshakey

• forum abuser
#1793 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 09:00:27 am
I honestly don't know who's even close to matching him.
Yeah there will be a huge void for a long long time. Nobody is ready to run near 2 hrs currently - only others under 2:02 are Kipchoge, Bekele and Lemma and surely only Kipchoge could even get vaguely close. So it'll take another young talent to explode onto the scene like Kiptum did, and who knows when that'll be.
Gutted, a huge tragedy.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#1794 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 10:19:19 am
I honestly don't know who's even close to matching him.
Yeah there will be a huge void for a long long time. Nobody is ready to run near 2 hrs currently - only others under 2:02 are Kipchoge, Bekele and Lemma and surely only Kipchoge could even get vaguely close.

Maybe Kipchoge, but I doubt it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1795 Re: RIP
February 12, 2024, 01:53:29 pm
Horrible loss. I think my wife and shark's wife have competed against him (well, run in the same marathon! :)).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1796 Re: RIP
February 14, 2024, 01:51:08 am
Steve Wright.

Just so many afternoons and long drives, laughing like a drain, in my 20s.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1797 Re: RIP
February 14, 2024, 11:01:20 am
Totally. Memories of doing crap factory jobs in my 20s with Radio 1 on, Steve Wright coming on meant a) entertainment and b) a shitty day was nearly done.

SamT

• forum hero
#1798 Re: RIP
February 14, 2024, 12:12:28 pm
 :(

Every hour long coach trip home from 6th form for 2 years.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1799 Re: RIP
February 14, 2024, 10:11:28 pm
Bernard Newman.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal