UKBouldering.com

TOM BOLGER (Read 21842 times)

comPiler

• forum hero
TOM BOLGER
July 27, 2011, 01:00:36 pm
First Blog
7 April 2009, 4:24 pm

My first blog and im sitting in a cafe, in the rain - nothing new. Thankfully my friends are here from Scotland so no shortage of bad chat. Had a good day yesterday at Terradets before the rain. I tried La Leccion 8, it was really good but a bit wet still. The others managed to OS numerous routes, Ally his first 7b and Neil denied at the top of the classic 7c, Occident, all in all a good first day for them. The forecast is better for tomorrow so hopefully we can get climbing.

Source: TOM BOLGER

comPiler

• forum hero
#1 Better Weather finally!
Better Weather finally!
2 May 2009, 7:00 pm

Its been a busy couple of weeks with miserable weather but finally things are on the up. Managing to get out in the good weather, whilst moving house. Disblia has been a good crag before work and I managed to do a really good 8c there called Cadena Muerte and am now trying another whilst waiting for the cave at Terradets to dry.

We are now living in Vilanova De La Sal, less than 10 minutes from St Linya and am motivated for mid-May when it is open again.

comPiler

• forum hero
#2 (No subject)

26 May 2009, 9:06 am

Its been a busy few weeks since the last blog, work, climbing and the new pooch Dillan. As St Linya is still closed I have been climbing at Disblia, a sector with many old, hard, classic routes and an old training ground for Spanish WADS. This week I managed to do Cadena Perpetua, 8C. Psyched to do it, as it has only had a couple of other ascents. Pete O'Donovan has also been out a couple of days with us taking pictures and keeping the dogs under control!!! Thanks for the pics.

Saturday was the first visit of the year to Rodellar. We went with Pete, Angels and met up with Dani and Andrea. Its such a cool place with endless amounts of amazing routes. I watched Dani try a new project at Ventanas next to Los Borrachos, totally insane!!! Psyched to get back there, probably this weekend because Lynne doesnt want to go anywhere else!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#3 A good week
A good week
28 May 2009, 1:02 pm

Went to Diablia yesterday and tried a new route there. It links Guilty 8b+ into Cadena Perpetua. The route is fantastic but now im absolutely destroyed, everything aches.    Also yesterday,  after some impressive power-squeals Lynne managed to do her first 7c+, after almost dropping it at the chain.  We are both quite motivated at the moment as we only have 5 weeks of work left.  We are planning on climbing in France, Spain and Austria for a couple of months.  Im pretty psyched to check out Gorge Du Loup, Zillertal, Rodellar, as many as I can!!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#4 Rodellar and beasted lats!!!
Rodellar and beasted lats!!!
24 June 2009, 12:07 pm

With temps of 37 degrees the last couple of weeks have not been easy but seeking the shade in Rodellar, climbing early and cooler temps of 32, the last week has been good. I tried Les Inconformistes a 9a at Las Ventanas. Its an amazing route that is slightly intimidating due to its strange angle, completamente differente!!!!!!! Alan Cassidy has also been out for the weekend. We took him to Disblia and he warmed up on a 7c OS and then just before dark OS the classic 8A of the crag. He was keen for Rodellar and he did Made in Mascun 7c+, El Delfin 7c+, Mal de Amores 8A+ 2nd go just missing the OS. Lynne tried Made in Mascun and is hoping to do it before her summer jolly.

comPiler

• forum hero
#5 Life on the Farm
Life on the Farm
28 September 2009, 9:21 am

Its been a long hot relaxing summer in Catalonia, sleeping, doing the garden, sleeping, eating, sleeping, its definately nothing like a British summer. We went on a bit of a trip to France for a week but decided to head back to Spain as we wanted to stay at home and not in the van (weak I know). We were also quite motivated to begin our mini farm....chickens, rabbits, fruit, vegetables, nuts etc, fresh eggs every day are definately good for recovery.

We have spent the last month climbing lots, taking advantage of the slightly cooler weather. Ive been trying Les Inconformistes again and im really enjoying that. Ive not tried it in the last couple of weeks due to a finger slicing incident but am keen to get back on it tomorrow. Since we started back work a couple of weeks ago we have also been going to Margalef and Disblia, not so easy to go to Rodellar and be at work for 4.30!!! At Disblia I managed to do a really short 8b+ called Guilty, super bouldery with the crux over only a few bolts. I then surprised myself by doing an 8C link up of an 8a+ into the route Perpetua, only just managing to clip the chains!! At Margalef ive had a few goes on an 8C there called L'espiadimonis. Ive never really climbed on pockets before, a different style to what im used to but im definately psyched to spend a bit of time there over the next few months.

Alan Cassidy is also out living with us now. He is definately motivated, wanting to do every route in Catalonia! A couple of weeks ago he managed to do Pata Negra, 8C in Rodellar achieving his lifetime climbing goal. (check out his blog)

comPiler

• forum hero
#6 La Primera Nueve A!!!!!!!
La Primera Nueve A!!!!!!!
4 October 2009, 7:06 pm

Today I did my first 9A Guilty Perpetua (FA), which is a link-up in the 'Old Skool' Disblia cave. It links Guilty, a hard 3 bolt 8b+ (font 8a at least) into the top of Cadena Perpetua. Cadena perpetua is a hard 8c that I have already done, the top section being 8b+ in its own right. I dont really like breaking down the route into graded sections because when comparing them to other routes there are so many varients to be considered i.e. the size of rests etc. Regardless, this is my hardest route to date and the most direct line through this awesome cave and im really psyched for people to come and try it and give their opinions.

comPiler

• forum hero
The Next Decade of Climbing!!!  Venga Vichos!!!
3 January 2010, 4:16 pm

....Ok, so.... ive not been very good with keeping the blog upto date but im going to try a bit harder and make time which is not so easy when im working and going climbing and dont have internet but motivated to make an effort this decade! :)

Before christmas I was climbing a lot in Santa Linya. I was really motivated for a route called Fuck the System, a long 9A that is the extension to the classic 8C Digital System. I tried it quite a lot and fell off the last move!! Im pretty psyched to get this route done as soon as the cave dries up. Alan also managed to do his project in the cave, an 8C called Favelita before he headed back to Scotland for Christmas. Lynne was also pleased to do Devora Hombres, the short and powerful 7C+ in the back of the cave.

comPiler

• forum hero
#8 Its purrrrrfect!!!!!
Its purrrrrfect!!!!!
24 February 2010, 4:02 pm

Direct Fabelita 9a , my very own link up at the cave!!!!!!!

Soo psyched, after falling on the last move the other weekend and then a week of crappy weather i thought it was going to be another 9a which i have fallen off the last move and not done!!!

Well, it didnīt start all that amazing today, we went down to the crag not expecting much after a storm yesterday and torrential downpour , to find the crag more or less dry. The sun was out and a strong wind was whipping round the cave making it feel crisp and cool. After 3 miserable attempts falling at the same spot, a really bouldery sequence, in the lower part and time to go to work approaching, i was ready to call it a day. However a japanese friend of mine whose name i cannot begin to spell gave an amazing display managing to do his first 8c+, today is his last day in spain after a long trip and he was super psyched, this Psyched me up to give it that one last "TRAINING GO"   and that was it, somehow even though i felt tired before i started it was just one of those attempts when everything feels right !!!!

Now I need to get back to some unfinished bussiness ie Fuck the System ( when its dry that is).

Thanks to Lynne for going to the cave All the time!! Thanks to Alan too for the superb victory  belay!!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#9 What a Crazy day!!!!!!
What a Crazy day!!!!!!
26 February 2010, 8:54 pm

Well, I still can't quite believe it, today i did my second 9a, Fuck the System.

Tired from wednesday we arrived at the crag late today as we had to do an english course, so i warmed up slowly on airline and then bouldered around, i hadn't been on fuck the system for more or less two months due to all the rain and seeping tufas, anyway i pulled on and climbed through the crux of digital smoothly, arriving at the rest before the crux sequences i felt calm and focused pulling through the moves i made one or two mistakes hesitating on the top headwall and completely forgetting to replace the crucial toe hook, pumping out i plumetted back down with memeories of previous failed attempts. I bounced back up the rope and worked the moves to remember the top sequence,.

Sitting around at the bottom after, again I thought it was time to call it a day, the sun was fading it was getting cold but i dont know i just psyched myself up once again thinking if you want to get something done you've got to try fucking hard!! At the last move i felt nervous as it it is a large dynamic move and i had already fallen here two months ago. I slapped a numbing hand on my hand and went AMUERTE hitting the final hold perfectly ,letting out a roar as i clipped the chain it seemed like the dream ending to an already perfect week!!!!!!!

Thanks to lynne again for many days in the cold belaying and thanks to Pete for coming out in the cold to get the photos.

comPiler

• forum hero
Clipcicles, Open your mind and Margalef
28 March 2010, 7:45 pm

Here are a few pics depicting the last months episode, mal tiempo y buen tiempo. So it started with clipicicles and snow AGAIN, climbing down at the cave in down jackets, hats and thermals. Doesn't sound like what you would expect from Spain in march, does it??!!! Well anyway, I had a great start to the month, managed to do the super classic open your mind 8c+ and then the following day El ball de triceps 8b at margalef which was my first 8b flash, thanks to Alan for the well needed beta.Lynne had a pretty good couple of weeks making short work of airline 7b+ and la gorra 7b+ at margalef. Alan crushed Rollito extension 8c (his third now) before a brief return to the motherland!! Anyway we are all now on to the next set of projects, but are all waiting for some sun to dry the slimey tufas a bit!  THE NEXT LEVEL Alan is attacking open your mind 8c+ and making fast progress with this power endurance test piece. Lynne is getting closer to the trio ternura 8a, but the crappy conditions of  the last month have left crucial holds disgustingly wet .And i'm trying to push myself on to the next level , Open your mind direct , its amazing how easily your lifetime goals change!

comPiler

• forum hero
#11 Open your mind direct R1 9a
Open your mind direct R1 9a
6 April 2010, 10:33 am

Well arriving at the crag on what was meant to be a rest day due to sore skin, back etc Alan and  I sat around heckling and soaking up the sun; well as I said I wasn't going to climb but with the motivational energy flowing from what is "team scotland" and the young Jonny Stocking crushing Rollito Sharma 8b+, I was psyched up for my own proyecto!

After a couple of familiar boulder problems at the base of the crag to warm up, and waiting for the good conditions to arrive I found myself  clipping the chains. Looking up at the extension shaking out I wanted to continue but looking at the soaking tufa holds I knew that it would have to wait for another day.Lowering off pumped but not completely destroyed I am even more determined than ever to push myself on to the next level. When it drys out i'll be going for the 9a+ chains.

comPiler

• forum hero
#12 8a Que Barry!!!
8a Que Barry!!!
24 May 2010, 12:29 pm

The last couple of weeks have been pretty eventful, with the prime event being Lynne crushing her first 8a Thai dream!! Awesome effort!!!

The scot youngster Ross Kirkland also managed to do his first 8a in fine style, managing a flash ascent and a shout goes out to Ally Swinton who also grabbed his first 8a!!

I aso squeezed out the classic Fabela 8c+ down at the cave.

Well with rising temps ( slightly unbearable) we firstly went over to Rodellar, where the team bagged some good ticks, Alan crushed gemenis 8b+ second go and Neil despatched Gladiator 8a+, Ross onsighted Ironman 7b+ and I managed to get a quick ascent of Welcome to tijuana 8c just before the clouds opened and drenched the valley rendering the crags unclimbable.

So off to Margalef.....

Now Margalef is somewhere I have climbed before but hadn't really appreciated how amazing this climbing area really is, the new route possibilities are absoloutely endless, the scenery is superb and the variety of styles of climbing is mind blowing!!

Yesterday i managed to get Aitzol 8c in 3 redpoints, well psyched.  I am very keen to try more routes down here and see what they have to offer.

comPiler

• forum hero
#13 The cave
The cave
21 December 2010, 5:57 pm

Well here we are living in Santa Linya!! Walking from our house to the crag, the cave!

Climbing in Santa linya is probably one of the most surreal places, when your in the village you feel like you are on the edge of the world this is a place where donkeys and packs of wild dogs rule the rutted and mostly dirt streets and where the average age is at a youthly 72.

On arrival at the cave, however, you will probably be greeted by an array of very expensive vans, large groups of people speaking in more languages than you thought existed and nearly all of them queueing up to get on some 9b or another.

Every winter the cave fills up and we spectate watching the climbing elite come from all corners of the world to test themselves on the amazing hard routes that are to be had. Just over the last few weeks there has been an impressive show from team Japan each of the four members climbing 8c+. I think that you can learn so much just from watching the different climbing styles and different approaches to routes. The Japanese guys try to onsight everything even if it is at there redpoint limit. This positive mentality and approach is maybe something we could all bring to our climbing. When was the last time you thought oh yeh this route is as hard as the hardest route I've ever done , I'll just get on it and onsight it?

Well anyway as for me, I have been trying a route called Ciudad del dios 9a/+, having fallen near the top and struggling with flappers and heel slips and numb hands and any other excuse I could think of for falling rather than I just fell, I decided to have a shot on blomu 8c+.

Blomu is an awesome route it breaks dow into three parts 7c, 8b, 8c+ the first is quite short and burly the second is crimpy with two dynamic throws and the third part consists of delicate heel hooks, tenuous body tension foot swaps and a pretty spicy run out, the whole thing is a truly brilliant route. Very psyched to do it but it just isn't my project, which, I am more motivated than ever to get back on, hopefully I can squeeze a couple more cositas out of the tank to top off what has been my best year of climbing to date.

comPiler

• forum hero
#14 All aboard the sending train!!
July 27, 2011, 01:00:37 pm
All aboard the sending train!!
20 January 2011, 12:40 pm

So, after warming up at the football pitch waiting for the horrible fog to leave the cave . We arrived with an hour to spare before having to get off to work. On arrival Alex Barrows started what was to be a crazy day of sending with a fine ascent of Rollito sharma 8b+ ( his first of the grade)!! Two Japanese guys managed to simultaneously crank out a red point of there 7b project on the last day of there trip receiving an awesome applaud from the busy crag. The atmosphere was great. Up next was me, I managed to do Ciudad del dios 9a/+!!! Next, Danilo busted out Rollito Extension and just as I was running around stuffing my things into my bag trying to leave for work Rob Lamey fought his way up Ruta del sol 8b. Possibly the best 20 minutes of sending ever?

Ciudad del dios is the first route that has made me question whether I could really do it or not. I knew I could do all the moves and I could do it in two sections , putting it all together however just seemed both mentally and physically too much.

The first section of the route is a five bolt 8c+ which is really bouldery, with two main deadpoint moves. The second part is longer and requires you to switch over quickly into endurance mode. I found this transfer from really bouldery to resistance climbing mentally very taxing. I knew that to do the route I had to remain calm, something that seems so easy to do until you are actually there.

Well, climbing is so hard to determine what you did differently, what let you snake your way up when every other time you got spanked and shut down. Is it physical? Some of it must be. Is it mental? Definately, when I was actually climbing the route I felt more relaxed than ever before, I felt confident and without any nerves of falling or about doing the route. The demons that so frequently dash all redpoint hopes just weren't there. Maybe for me a once in a year moment of mental focus like this is how Ondra or Sharma rock up to the crag every other climbing day ?

comPiler

• forum hero
#15 Montsant Magic
Montsant Magic
24 January 2011, 10:11 am

Yesterday ,with my project under my belt, I decided to go and do some onsighting-destination Montsant. I had only ever been to Montsant once before, 3 years ago, but had seen the stunning line of L mens 8b+. I remember standing at the bottom of it too intimidated to get on it.

Well 3 years on and there I was tying in, getting psyched up for the onsight go.

This time I had decided that I was going to approach it differently, in the past I have approached routes onsight too psyched up, jittery, full of nerves and have blown them on some subtle foot move or pumped out over gripping.

The route went really well, I had to battle and there was definately a couple of moves were it felt really close, but I managed to stay relaxed and keep my head together right until the chains, keep those thoughts of "I'm going to do it" at bay.

Soo pleased to do this route am really psyched to get back into onsighting.

comPiler

• forum hero
Siurana Real Rock fun in the sun!!!!!!
12 April 2011, 4:24 pm

Well, Sunday saw Lynne and I team up with Neil McGeachy (geek) and take team Scotland for a day out in the mega sport climbing venue of Siurana. A big shout has to go out to Team Scotland, who were all awesome. I must say that I'm really impressed with the kids that are coming through from Scotland, they've got great determination and truck loads of energy to boot!!

The sun was out and it was really hot but that didn't stop anyone all of the kids crushing atleast 7 routes in the day!!

I think what Geek is doing with the MCofS is really great for furthering Scottish climbing, they are getting kids out onto the rock were they are gaining invaluable climbing experience from a really young age. Which, when you look to Mr Ondra, is definately needed by todays elite!

comPiler

• forum hero
#17 Casa Santa Linya, life in Spain.
Casa Santa Linya, life in Spain.
3 May 2011, 4:10 pm

Well, so far this year Lynne and I have had loads of friends staying at the house which has been awesome,too many names to mention them all.

I think it's always great for the motivation to have psyched people around you I feel it really helps to get you psyched to try hard.

Here are a few photos of recent activities here in Catalunya.

Alex (the hulk) Barrows walking to the gorge at Mont rebei, with myself and Ross Kirkland.

Elly (the dutchess) chilling on the sofa.

The team having a late night workout on La Rambla.

Ummmmm??Which way to the car?

Well, anyway I've been trying Catxasa loads and have fallen at the top 4 times now. Hopefully the weather will cool a little bit, I will rapidly grow some new skin and be feeling good for tomorrows redpoint.

comPiler

• forum hero
#18 Summers Coming
Summers Coming
23 May 2011, 7:23 pm

First of all I would like to say thank you to EDELRID who have taken me on as part of the team. I've had all my new kit sent out and its amazing.

Its got pretty hot here in the last couple of weeks and we have had to venture to some crags that are in the shade but close enough to be able to get to work on time. We went to Sector Regina at Terradets, world class tuffa climbing thats well worth the walk-in. We have also had a couple of days at the lesser travelled sector at Terradets called La Pizarra, where we have been doing a bit of cleaning and climbing. Although the crag is roadside the routes are amazing but very 'old skool' ie HARD!!!

Joe Kinder and Colette were staying with us for a few weeks which was really motivating, we did a load of climbing and lots of drinking, Joey also filmed me on Ciudad del Dios which was really fun.

We are now on the countdown to the school finishing.......only 4 weeks to holidays!

comPiler

• forum hero
#19 Better late than never
Better late than never
8 June 2011, 7:16 pm

Ive finally figured out to post a link!!! Thanks again to Joe and Colette for the video of Ciudad del Dios in the Santa Linya cave.

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/climbing-videos/watch/tom-bolger-climbing-ciudad-del-dios-9a

Only 2 weeks to go here before heading off for the summer, 2 months for climbing, climbing and trying to stop Harry scaring people.

comPiler

• forum hero
#20 3 days to go!!!
3 days to go!!!
20 June 2011, 1:13 pm

Well, its HOT!!!!!!! So, we have been doing a bit of climbing at La Pizarra and sector Regina in the Terradets valley, which are the most shaded spots around, the only problem is that it has still been 28 degrees in the shade. Sweat and greasiness are at maximum levels, its a bit of a shame because these two sectors are truely amazing. I will definately be spending more time at these crags when we return from our summer ADVENTURE!!

With it being so hot this weekend we couldnt be bothered sweating our way up routes so we decided to go and do the via ferrata in Oliana which I must say is pretty spectacular, looking down on eagles swooping across the crags is really quite stunning.

On Sunday we went to Cavallers, a high mountain crag that is filled with granite. Cavallers is about 2 hours from our place in Santa Linya and as you arrive there you can feel the difference in the air, when you stick your hand out the window of the car you dont get the hair drier effec you do near ours. the scenery is reminiscent of Switzerland or Austria and grazing cows wander around the boulders in the lush valley meadow. Well, we didnt go for the sport or the trad routes, we went bouldering. At the base of the valley there is a beautiful stream that is surrounded by boulders and bordered by a thick pine forest. The boulders range from easy gentle slabs to impossible looking overhangs. This is somewhere we will definately be revisiting. The only problem with Cavallers is that there is no real topo, the good thing about it is that if you are psyched and you want to be the first to do new problems, there are thousands of new potential problems, just dont forget your brush to get the moss off the virgin boulders!!!!!

Well with 3 more days and then we are off on our summer trip, so psyched now, its just so difficult to decide where to go first!!!

And thanks again to FIVE TEN and EDELRID for there continued support.

comPiler

• forum hero
#21 Travelling amuerte with Mavis!
Travelling amuerte with Mavis!
7 July 2011, 10:32 am

What a crazy week or so, returning to Scotland, buying a campervan (Mavis), catching up with family and friends, travelling south again on the karaoke ferry extrordinaire to Santander, to very, very slowly cross the Cantabrian mountains (bad map use) back to the inferno of Lleida, swimming, drinking, organising the Spanish dole and now Basque Climbing WOOHOO!!!!!!!

The first crag we have come to is Apellaniz, a small seemingly locals crag which is beautifully set in a lush Basque forest. Climbing here is a little surreal as you climb to an orchestra of cow bells worn by the huge cream cows that mow the grass at the base of the crag, making it seem as though it has its own private gardener.

Arriving to the crag without any guide or anything, we were warmly welcomed by the locals who gave us a guided tour of the crag. There are about 60 routes spread over three main buttresses. In general the climbing is short, bouldery and explosive on pockets and edges. The middle buttress is longer and has a more British limestone feel, white and blue with delicate climbing on slopers and undercuts.

Im so psyched to get back climbing, its been a while.

First day at the crag I did a classic 8a os, La Txunga del Txi and another 8a La Txunga del Gotzon 2nd go. Yesterday we returned to Apellaniz, warmed up on a couple of brutal 4 bolt 6's and Lynne did a 6b+ with a full on move off a mono!! I then go so spanked on a 7a+ that I had to check the guide to see if I was on the right route, as I knew that there was an 8b next to it. Unfortunately, I was on the right route!! With Lynne chuckling I wondered if it would go next red point, joder! Luckily, I shook my way up it feeling scared on the first pad mono undercut and smeary feet. Now I know why the Basques are so strong. Anyway, a couple of biscuits later I finished off the day by onsighting a really great 8a on the Garrapatta wall. Grades, what an odd concept sometimes.

We are resting today and tomorrow we are going to check out Valdegobia.

comPiler

• forum hero
#22 Valdegobia, Spanish Malham.
Valdegobia, Spanish Malham.
23 July 2011, 10:43 am

The 7a+ at apellaniz that was a misprint in the guide actually 7c, thank the lord!

At first I thought these stone carvings were just for feeding the cows, only later did I find out that they were actually tombs!!!! Didn't get back in one after that.

These tombs are everywhere at valdegobia at the bases of many routes, there is even one carved into the crag about 10 feet off the ground!

First and only day at baltzola= rain, forced rest day.

About 300,000 euros worth of vans in the car park! I thought climbers were poor?!

Spanish Malham, Valdegobia.

Back from a quick trip to Germany, where I was at the enormous tradeshow with EDELRID. It was a really good experience, great to see the innovative new kit that those guys are producing and really appreciative of their support.

So we,ve had 2 days climbing at Valdegobia, this is a crag which is to my knowledge not well known in the uk or outside of Spain for that matter. However, I think that the brits out there would love this crag, suprisingly cool temps, crimps, pockets and tiny little footholds. It's set within a green meadow. Not suprisingly it is super popular for Spanish climbing families. So much so that the locals have nicknamed the main sector as "the playground". Some of the sectors are featured in the basque climbing guide but not all, there are loads of sectors with one more hidden quiet sector that is covered in amazing tufas!

The only downside to the area is that at the weekend it is realllllly busy, kids and dogs and cows out number the climbers ten to one. For me personally I don't like climbing when it is so busy, the atmosphere there wasn't the usual chilled, friendly spanish way that I have come to know and love. Oh well, all that said I did do some really cool routes,made some silly mistakes( not taking enough draws) and having to jump off the onsight of the 8b+ not knowing whether to laugh or cry, pleased to do the 8c yesterday, it's the quickest I've ever done one.

Today back to Apellaniz, and proj time for Lynne, venga amuerte!!!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#23 Santa Linya Desploma't Climbing Event
July 27, 2011, 01:00:38 pm
Santa Linya Desploma't Climbing Event
26 July 2011, 11:30 am

DESPLOMAīT 2011 ,LES AVELLANES Y SANTA LINYA LA GRAN FIESTA DE LA ESCALADA.

ATENCION LO QUE SE AVECINA EN SEBTIEMBREACTIVIDADES PROGRAMADAS-COMPETICION DE BLOQUE-COMPETICION DE PISCIBLOC-DEMO EVOLV TEST (prueba por la Face los gatos Evolv)-FIESTA NOCTURNA CON DJ. Y ESPECTACULO DE FUEGO-ACTIVIDADES PARA LOS MAS PEQUES. ROCODROMO INFANTILPUENTE TIBETANO-INFLABLE ESCALABLE-PROYECCION DE PELICULAS-CONCURSO FOTOGRAFICO-EXHIBICION DE SLICKLINE-INSTALACIÓN DE INSTALACIONES PARA APRENDER SLICKLINE-ASISTENCIA DE ALGUNA DE LAS FIGURAS MAS PUNTERAS DEL MOMENTO....-CONFERENCIA SOBRE LA SOSTENIBILIDAD EN LA CUEVA GRAN DE STA. LINYA Y PROYECCION TURISTICA DE LA NOGUERA-Zona Shopping con Stands Comerciales-Y MUCHAS MAS SORPRESAS.........SORTEOS.......http://desplomat.blogspot.com/

comPiler

• forum hero
#24 3 8cs in 6 days
August 07, 2011, 01:00:20 pm
3 8cs in 6 days
7 August 2011, 10:09 am

Dani lopez aka biceps guy on Karma 8b at Lezaia.

Lynne swinging around on the awesome 7b at Lezaia.

Wei trying hard on Beldurra 8b.

Wei at the base of Lezaia, another mega locals crag.

Me on the tufatastic Gaua 8c.

Harrrry!! New haircut!!

Dani Lopez, crushing agur 8b at oņate.

Me on the mega tufa classic Honky Tonky 8c.

Great cross through moves on the mid section of Honky Tonky 8c.

The sun tickling the base of the wall and my feet.

Dani (de vitoria) sending txipolini 8b Apellaniz.

Ellie keeping herself amused with a little snack.

Me on Justolini 8c. First ascent (link up).

Another shot of me on Justolini, a cool short and steep buttress.

So, itīs been a pretty busy week, retreating from the crags in Asturias as I couldnīt get harry to the best crags as he couldnīt climb the via ferrata approaches. Oh well, back to the Basque country and Navarra where there is a real abundance of small locals crags that are really great and Harry friendly.

First on the list was Apellaniz, where we met up with Dani Lopez, a really strong climber from Leon, the guy is like a walking encyclopedia of spanish climbing with a book thick collection of hand drawn topos. Here I did a link up of Txipolini 8b into Justuri 8c (3rd go) , I tried the link up because the 8c is no longer possible due to a broken hold that has left a blank section of wall. Its great climbing combining steep power pulling to a crimpy headwall, Dani tried it with me too he thinks itīs 8c.

After a rest day retrieving the rope from a tree in Apellaniz we went on to Oņate, the original training ground of many Basque beasts including Patxi Usobiaga and Josune Bereziartu. There is an awesome photo of Josune in the old Basque guide crushing Honky Mix 8c+, the most ripped women that ever existed and the first to climb 9a!!!!

This crag has awesome tufa lines, what I found out is that this crag is a true locals crag with sand bags a gogo for warming up. Its meant to be a summer crag but the locals climb here in spring and autumn, the jungle conditions left me wimpering at the state of my hands!!! Really psyched to get Honky Tonky done, uber classic!! The following day we went back but the rain and humidity stopped play, so semi rest day.

On the road again we followed Dani to Lezaia a crag set in Navarra, itīs a super steep cave style crag where power endurance is the key. First day at the crag I jumped on a great 7b to get going and then got stuck into the 8c Gaua, It features kneebar intensive tufa squeezing to a powerful headwall. After two tries working out the trickery I did it 3rd go, some would call that first redpoint however I think thats absolute turd, a go is a go! Awesome route definately psyched to try more at this crag.

Today we are off to explore another local Navarra crag with routes upto 8c+, thanks to Wei for the info. However looking at the weather the temps are set to sore, might just have to whip out the speedos and get to the Playa!

All the photos by Lynne except the one of her of course.

comPiler

• forum hero
#25 Bielsa, oil leaks and back to work.
September 18, 2011, 07:00:18 pm
Bielsa, oil leaks and back to work.
26 August 2011, 12:52 pm

Bielsa,

Lynne and I had heard loads about this place over the last couple of years but never made the effort to go and check it out, the problem being that you have to pass Rodellar to get there.

Crag on the way to Bielsa,

Well, last week we went and found out that it is definately worth the effort, Imaculate rock covered in snaking tufas, Its basically like terradets mark 2. Well on the first day at the crag I had an amazing day, warming up on a 7a and then doing Joes Bar Team (possibly the best 7c in spain) I managed to onsight Highway 52 8b. This route is incredible, amazing quality and has a bit of everything just the way I like it.

The second day saw us back up for more, instead of climbing onsight I decided to have a go on an unclimbed project at the crag that the locals reckon will be 9a, the route is really amazing. Its impressive to watch french climber Manu Lopez throwing redpoints on the route in proper amuerte style. Definately looks like there is room for new routes. So with this new project potential in mind we headed back down to the nearest city to get some supplies to stay there for a week, when unfortunately we realised that the van had started leaking oil!!!

With only a week left before starting work and temperatures hitting 37 degrees we were reluctantly forced to return to the casa, to take the van to the garage and get stuff sorted out.

Well anyway I have another crag that I am super psyched to return to. Maybe next weekend if the van is alright!

BACK to work.........

So we are back and its a baking 32 degrees, I know I sound totally spoilt. How can you complain about sunny blue sky weather? Well I never thought Iīd say it but you can. We actually went and climbed on plastic today, its the first time in a loooooonnnnng time and iīm battered.

With the temps set too stay like this I think Iīm going to have to be a weekend warrior escaping to cooler spots and doing a bit of training during the week.

DESPLOMAT event is this weekend, should be a good laugh, deep water soloing over the swimming pool, boulder comp and big Fiesta!!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#26 Proj mode
September 20, 2011, 07:00:33 pm
Proj mode
20 September 2011, 3:52 pm

Me, being a pikey!!! Foam mats for the board I want to build.....

Sweating at the casa

The new chicken coop, first free range egg was layed yesterday!

Vicious guard dog attacking the obviously dangerous orange squeeky ball.

Back at the casa, got all the School/work shite organised and now to think and engage myself into Project mode, Catxasa is awaiting my attention.......

Desplomat bouldering event is also going to be really cool, they have errecyed an awesome wall over the village swimming pool and there are loads of steep funky looking bouldering walls too. Cant wait going to be a really great event.

The last couple of days out here have actually been a bit cooler and it has sent my psyche levels soaring, after a quick burn on the proj two days ago I felt really good, had to remind myself of a few subtle foot and hand movements but all in all it went well, until my foot popped which saw me helicopter spinning sideways my leg getting caught by the rope and me flipping upside down, all very dramatic indeed but actually nothing happened I had a brief moment of turding myself and letting out a scream like a 6 year old girl only too have the softest of soft falls and lower to the ground feeling a bit stupid. Oh well atleast there was only Lynne there laughing at me and not a packed crag!

Right we are back, school has started, timetables have been finalised everything is just about sorted.

Being organised in this game of climbing is just about as important as how strong your fingers are. Sorting out all your stuff for the crag

comPiler

• forum hero
#27 Desplomat- 2011 Les Avellanes
September 27, 2011, 07:00:16 pm
Desplomat- 2011 Les Avellanes
26 September 2011, 5:58 pm

Pablito, busting out a backflip.

Dyno!!!!

Xavi, swimming in climbing shoes.

Sunday was spent chilling out in the sunshine flying off the wall into the pool!

What more could you want?

The final of the boulder comp on Saturday night was really good fun, amazing problems, with a late finish even by Spanish standards we finished at 3:30 am! The party went on to the 9 the next morning.

Diego Marsella having a think about the moves on one of the problems in the final.

Alex taking down one of the final problems.

Chris mantelling out the volume on prob 5.

Me catching the swinging balls, awesome problem.

Great atmosphere for the final.

The one and only Andoni Perez, comentator extrordinaire.

Mid comp refreshments.

Lynne crushing the blocs.

Desplomat at the weekend was a great success. Loads of people turned up for the boulder comp, which had a really great and friendly atmosphere. The problems were super interesting and well set, it definately felt a bit unusual for me and was great training (battering) doing dynos and loads of funky moves that you donīt normally do when your tied onto the end of a rope.

The Desplomat event was all about raising awareness about the climbing areas around Santa Linya to show how important it is to local climbers and from the rest of the world. As you may know the climbing situation in Santa Linya has been a bit difficult in the recent past. I think that this event will have helped hugely in showing the local government and other people just how important the climbing in this area really is and help to keep areas like Santa Linya open.

Congratualtions to all the guys from Les Avellanes for putting so much hard work into the event so that we could all have a really great time and also a big thankyou to Victor Fernandez, who put so much into it he lost his voice completely for the day of the event.

Last but by no means least Iīd like to say a massive thankyou to my new Sponsor freshstartliving.com.

They are a super innovative company that truly appreciate the dedication and sacrifices that have to be made by top level climbers.

With their support I feel a new confidence and motivation that I can achieve my climbing ambitions.

comPiler

• forum hero
#28 The Monkey King- Indian Ondra
October 11, 2011, 07:00:28 pm
The Monkey King- Indian Ondra
11 October 2011, 4:50 pm

I first saw this video some time ago, it was shown to me by good friend Alan Cassidy , not quite sure how he found it but what an amazing find!

WARNING

This video contains moves that even Ondra canīt pull off.

Someone give the guy some climbing shoes, just imagine what he could do!!haha

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#29 Re: TOM BOLGER
October 11, 2011, 10:44:46 pm
The move he does at 0.34 is truly gobsmacking  :bow:  :bow: .....

comPiler

• forum hero
#30 Turning point
November 16, 2011, 12:00:32 am
Turning point
15 November 2011, 8:29 pm

Well, Iīve been trying my project, as usual. This project seems different to the others Iīve had before, after coming agonisingly close to doing it in the spring ( falling at the top 6 times) I thought that with cooler temps and a focused run at it I would be able to polish it off quickly. However, so far I havenīt managed it. Even though strangely all the sections feel better than ever the damn thing still holds out against me.  The main crux of the route is a slap to a mono, this move is just so fricking hard to get right! I tīs not just about strength itīs about timing, about commiting everything and not giving in to the natural "oh my god Iīm slapping to a mono and my fingerīs going to rip off" fears. The annoying thing is Iīve been through this move before and also Iīve done from one move before the mono to the chains three times! Redpointing- itīs mental! It is SUCH a learning process and is definately the hardest thing I have ever tried. After getting close but not doing it I now realise that I need to up my game to get this route done.  With this route in mind and Tudor bompaīs periodisation manual in my hand I have reached what I think is a turning point in my climbing. Climbing over the last 2 and a half years has been going to the crag and me throwing myself at the hardest routes I could get on, well iīve enjoyed it and Iīve learnt lots on the way, but I think itīs time for a bout of training aswell.  Yesterday I started: boulder warm up, 2 x 8a laps, then 2 goīs on my project , then up fabela 8c+ then back to the casa where I did sets of ten and 20 pull ups on a small edge on the fingerboard ( 100 in total) then went to work, finished at ten got home ad then did a fingerboard session. Still psyched today even though I canīt lift my arms above my head;)   Oh yeh and  today as it was pissing it down I have been bolting a new line in Santa linya cave! Itīs incredible the amount of work that goes into bolting these routes and I have a new found respect for all the guys out here who bolt routes (out of their own pocket). So far it seems really hard, you never know though until you start trying the moves, but I woudnīt be suprised if the cave had another  9th grade route notched on its scoreboard. No pics at the mo because my camera battery charger is capput! :(

comPiler

• forum hero
#31 Gypsy Blood
November 29, 2011, 12:00:43 am
Gypsy Blood
28 November 2011, 5:26 pm

Gypsy Blood,

is the new route I have just finished bolting and cleaning today in Santa Linya!

Wow, the work that goes into bolting these routes is beasting, thank god Iīve finished it, so now I can spend rest days actually resting instead of fighting with a 50 degree, 30 metre overhanging wall.

Obviously the name is about Lynne and myself, lifestyle choices and a bit of family history in there too!

Although, It should be known that I havenīt had to turn to collecting scrap metal to fund my climbing passion, YET!

I havenīt tried the moves on the sharp end but obviously felt the holds and stuff whilst hanging on the static rope, itīs so hard to say how hard it will be and iīm really psyched to jump on it and check out how hard it actually is. The cool thing about the route is that there is virtually no resting point so will be super resistant, continuous climbing. Just how I like it.

Well weīll see, ill get a photo tommorrow.

Psyched ;)

comPiler

• forum hero
#32 Winter Wonderland
January 18, 2012, 12:00:35 am
Winter Wonderland
17 January 2012, 6:27 pm

Eli on Pegue Nocturno 8a

Porky!!!

Niels cruising Spanglish at the futbolin-Santa Linya

Gerard hanging out at the rest on fabelita 8c.

Well Catalonia is the place to be in winter. Cold, crisp, blue sky days are what it's all about. Xmas and new year have come and gone but the winter season out here is still in full swing. The psyche is high and all that christmas grub seems to have finally been burnt off!

Now I'm psyched to climb all the way out of the Santa Linya cave, yesterday I fell off the top of Fabela pa la enmienda 9a, an awesome 50m route out the middle  of the cave, getting some air miles on the clock as the bolts are super spaced, as you only clip 5 bolts in the second half of the route:)

This year I am psyched to do more exploring, get out and try some hard routes in new places, bolt more and climb more onsight! Maybe even a multipitch or two!

comPiler

• forum hero
#33 Fabela Pa la enmienda 9a
January 23, 2012, 06:00:19 pm
Fabela Pa la enmienda 9a
23 January 2012, 5:10 pm

So with loads of motivation for 2012, I managed to make an ascent of my fifth 9a, fabela pa la enmienda. This one is special to me as it climbs all the way out of the cave at Santa Linya. I remember first visiting the cave on a trip when I was 17 and swinging around on the 8aīs there thinking how impossible and intimidating the place was. Ítīs cool to look back and be able to see the improvement, something that is often very hard to see and something that as climbers we are always looking for. Check out the interview about the route at UKclimbing:   http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66228 Thanks need to go out to Lynne for the epic belays and to EDELRID, whose support is much appreciated.

comPiler

• forum hero
#34 Margalef, a climber's paradise
March 28, 2012, 07:00:15 pm
Margalef, a climber's paradise
28 March 2012, 3:00 pm

What do we look for as climbers from the perfect crag?

Routes of all grades? Amazing views? Both north and south facing crags? Fast drying routes and places to climb in the rain?

Well with these criteria in mind my place of choice has to be Margalef....... itīs amazing in some ways itīs completely overwhelming, the number of crags and the possibilities for future crags, just blows your mind.

Lynne and I have been making the journey down there for the weekends for the last couple of weeks and have been exploring the newer sectors of La coma closa ( home to the famous super route of Era Bella) and la catedral. These are some new shadey sectors for when the weather is a little warm and they are absoloutely world CLASS!!!

Iīve had a couple of runs up the mega test piece Era Bella 9a, which is amazing, so psyched to try this one this weekend!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#35 Catxasita 9a/+
May 09, 2012, 07:00:20 pm
Catxasita 9a/+
9 May 2012, 3:03 pm

So psyched to have done this one! Feels like my hardest route to date.

Check it out on ukc:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67094

The cave and Catalunya is heating up rapidly forecast of 31c tomorrow,  time to start seeking shady higher spots and in six weeks time back to  the UK. Hopefully it will be a good summer in the UK and I'll be able to  get out on all the routes I want to try.

comPiler

• forum hero
#36 Psicoblok Camarasa
June 11, 2012, 07:00:12 pm
Psicoblok Camarasa
11 June 2012, 1:27 pm

I first spotted this small but beautiful band of rock jutting out over the lake in winter on my way to Terradets and thought to myself when it's really hot I need to go and check that place out as it looked like great fun.

So a couple of weekends ago after trying to go climbing at the Camarasa crags and sweating off just about every route I tried we headed up to the lake to check it out.

I took a short rope and abseiled down a couple of lines the rock quality was surisingly excellent and nicely featured which it needed to be as the faces are about 45 degrees overhanging.

The first route to try was an obvious line scaling the left side of the prow on massive jugs, probably the steepest 6b out there and great fun "La via del guiri" 6b, after that we set about trying a route just round the corner which went directly up the prow. This goes up the steepest part and with no chalk and unsure about what to grab it was great fun getting spat off and splashing around in the water. I got the route after working out the sequence and is now known as "La Fiesta del bellyflop" 7b+ after that I traversed round the base of the cliff ( which is prob 5+) which is covered in cool tufa holds and tried another line which starts up a great tufa this one 7b "El Muricec", and finally I abseiled down another blank looking face to clean it up which turned out to be a great little line. Niels grabbed the first ascent naming it "The hole" 7a and I followed after him up the excellent little route ( in the photo us jumping from the top of "The hole" 7a).

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]The descent from "the hole" 7a[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Niels on La Fiesta del bellyflop 7b+[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Martin on the 6b (Eli and Dave looking in from the viewing platform)[/td][/tr]
[/table] By no means is this Lleida province's answer to Mallorca but it is good fun and great for when the weather is really hot, the routes in general are quite short 8 or 9m  and bouldery, a good intro to dws as the water is deep, nice and warm and the routes are short. Psyched to check out Mallorca some day looks absoloutely amazing!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#37 New kit, psyche for new routes!
August 23, 2012, 07:00:21 pm
New kit, psyche for new routes!
23 August 2012, 12:22 pm

Firstly, so psyched about the new Edelrid kit, they have brought out some great new shoes called the Cyclone. They are a top end performance shoe and I am really psyched to get out and use them on real rock, amazing fit and new stickier rubber are going to make a big difference this season. Secondly they have brought out the Atmosphere harness which is amazing, super light but also super comfortable this is going to be so useful for when I return as I have loads of plans for bolting new routes and also multipitch projects which mean lengthy periods in my harness.

http://www.wobook.com/WBCs1MV9xT4t/Workbook-Sports-2013-Wobook.html

Training indoors here in Scotland has been my only climbing fix, all the crags have been soaked and ridden with biting little midges. One armers, finger boarding and circuits blue and orange plywood have taken over from blue and orange streaked limestone paradises..... One thing being back has taught me is that overtraining is easily attained and that if you really want to train to go away on a trip it is so worth following a periodised plan. Currently I am suffering from the mentioned and with a tweaked a2 pulley i'm going to have to take it easy for a month or so, but if I can't climb I am determined to get out and bolt some sick lines to get me motivated and what better all body workout than bolting steep lines. Didn't seem to harm the beast that is Dani Andrada!!!!!  

Here are a couple of spots I've seen that i'm going to go and check out for new routes when I get back:

from outside the cave

Looks really cool, amazing fun climbing on stalactites cant wait to get out there and get involved.

Back to the rings to do some more pull ups, front levers and all the horrible bulls##t you do when you cant just climb rocks!!!!!!! haha

comPiler

• forum hero
#38 Start of a new chapter
September 15, 2012, 07:00:17 pm
Start of a new chapter
15 September 2012, 2:54 pm

So the ferry is booked!!!

We have hugely enjoyed being back in the UK, old friends- new friends, fish and chips, curry, drinking too much, you know the usual! Pulling on Plastik, and checking out Scotland in the camper.

Next Saturday Lynne, myself and the pooches will be heading out in the camper!! Spain is cooling down nicely for our arrival, we are heading to the Basque country first and then heading across to hit up Oliana, Margalef and Rodellar with maybe some Siurana and Santa linya in there too.

This year is going to be so different we are not going to be teaching so we are going to be free to chase the good conditions and just go wherever, whenever we please!!!!  

The Lleida area really has become a second home to me, the people, the food and wine are all truly great and have been sorely missed these last couple of months. The amount of rock and world class routes to go at is insane. The room for further development is just as incredible.

The climbing and the climbers that you see  and meet make it the most inspiring place to climb.

comPiler

• forum hero
#39 New Sponsor- Core Climbing
September 26, 2012, 01:00:09 pm
New Sponsor- Core Climbing
26 September 2012, 10:52 am

Big thanks to the guys at Core Climbing, really psyched to be working with them and their support is really appreciated.

Core make awesome holds, inspired designs from real rock destinations like font and the grit give their holds the real rock feel!

comPiler

• forum hero
#40 finger issues, fitness training
October 21, 2012, 01:02:00 am
finger issues, fitness training
20 October 2012, 8:54 pm

Well, things don't always go the way you want them too! The summer break in the UK was meant to be for hard core training ready to come back and crush Catalunya's awesome crags, instead it turned into injury riddled rain dodging and feasting on really healthy food like fish and chips, haggis and litres of irn-bru.

Being back in the Spanish sunshine is amazing and great for the body and soul, my finger is healing up well after spending the last couple of months doing very easy climbing and making sure not to crimp anything. The last week I spent training in a cool little wall in les avellanes the village next to Santa Linya, I must admit, it feels weird training indoors when the sun is shining and the cave is just around the corner, but it is what needs to be done. I have been doing some fitness training, going running and the last week I was doing 100 move circuits and doing 1200 moves in total finished off with sets of pull-ups rounding upto 200. Its actually pretty cool just being able to train and then hang out in the sun.

With rain forecast for the next couple of days I'm going to head down to a friends climbing wall in Lleida to do a bit of training and then time to get on rock again.Psyched!

Having this time away from being able to go and try my hardest on routes has made me realise just how much I enjoy it and how difficult I find it to be cooped up inside, how stunning the places where we go climbing actually are and how much I love the process of having a project in mind and running through the moves in your head last thing at night.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Harry hitting the booze[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Bielsa  
[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]The new wall at Les Avellanes, work in progress.[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kiu[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]chilling in the campo[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Camarasa coffee break[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dinner time[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]The best beer out there![/td][/tr]
[/table]

comPiler

• forum hero
#41 Psyche resurge
October 23, 2012, 07:00:18 pm
Psyche resurge
23 October 2012, 4:10 pm

Unbelievabe psyche resurge today, went climbing in the wall, did some boulder problems for the first time in the last 2 months and my finger didn't hurt at all!!! I know now it's time to be responsible and not go mad on the rock and try some 9a+ but I must admit i'm fecking psyched. I totally believe that having a break sometimes is a good thing and I definately feel like I have a renewed energy.

Check out these routes which look absoloutely amazing and that are at my local crags!!!!

Nit de bruixes 9a+ Margalef

Fight or flight 9b Oliana

And a video of me that always gets me psyched because it reminds me of good times, hanging out with good friends and trying hard in the cave.

comPiler

• forum hero
#42 Power to weight!!!
October 30, 2012, 06:00:28 pm
Power to weight!!!
30 October 2012, 5:06 pm

Incredible week for climbing! 8c+s, by a little girl which just boggles the mind. Having taught english for a few years and teaching loads of 11 year old kids I find this incredible not merely because physically 8c+ is f**king hard but because it is also so mentally and technically challenging and most 11 year olds iv'e met are still little, little kids fighting over using the other kids rubber, spilling bogies everywhere and laughing at everything that has the word bottom in it!

How can an 11 year old girl climb as hard as adults who have dedicated 10s of years to training or basically to the best female climbers in the world?

Pushy parents? Psyched Kid? Naturally amazing power to weight ratio? Environment (loads of psyched climbers)? Coaching?............ The list goes on.

Ondra flashing 9a! Awesome, amazing skills he definately makes you feel like you need to pull your finger out and try hard!! haha

Then you have the other side of the coin, Edu Marin's dad does his first 8b+ at 60..... incredible.

Climbing is amazing it is so complex, thats what keeps it fresh and always inspiring I suppose.

comPiler

• forum hero
#43 SHERPA
November 06, 2012, 12:00:42 am
SHERPA
5 November 2012, 8:17 pm

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Worked after 8a+ onsight [/td][/tr]
[/table]

So big thanks to my newest sponsor SHERPA Adventure Gear, with their amazing clothes I'm going to keep nice and toasty at the crag this winter!!!

All sport climbers know that there is nothing more important than a big warm down jacket at the crag, whether for belaying or chilling with your mates between redpoints it is crucial in being able to keep warm and keep your energy levels up instead of just shivering to death. You might be thinking i'm crazy because I live in Spain and people don't think it gets cold here but they are WRONG!!! It gets feckin freezin but it normally coincides with the good conditions so being able to deal with the cold is essential for making the most of the good friction. The Sherpa khumbuche jacket the perfect crag downy, I had it on today at the cave and it was awesome.

Soo...... getting back some fitness! Two weeks ago I started climbing again on rock and made a trip to Tres Ponts with Lynne and met up with Gaz Parry. To be honest I felt absoloutely turd, I was climbing like a robot locking off every move, trembling at the knees scared about falling off and just generally crap, fumbling clips etc 7b felt like 8b and 7c like 8c. So after three routes I was destroyed both mentally and physically, I was chatting to Gaz about the importance of getting on rock and how plastic just doesn't prepare you for it, I ended up having to have a week off as my finger started to hurt a bit again:( Anyway after a week off I felt fresh again, my finger felt fine and I was psyched to get fit and feel fluid on rock again. We headed back out to tres ponts, I did a 7b to warm up and felt good! I was nicely suprised, feeling much more relaxed and actually enjoying the climb not gripped out of my mind. Next I had a look in the guide and picked out a 7c+ to try and onsight, so I grapped 16 draws thinking that would be more than enough and set off with my new beany on to shield me from the icey wind blowing across the crag. Well I got up into the crux puffing and panting and was thinking to myself the whole time this feels totally desperate for 7c+, shit I have got a lot of work to do to get back into shape!!! Anyway I fought my way up the route, not taking enough draws for the monster, I had to seperate the biners creating a heanous rope drag, I squeezed the rope into the anchor and sat back!! UUUFFFF I let out and muttered to myself something about fucking 7c+ desperate!

Got down and was psyched to get up the thing and thought it was an amazing route, truly 5 star but kept thinking it was desperate for 7c+ after checking the guide again I realised oops it was an 8a+!!! yayy confidence boost!

So that was three days ago, yesterday we went to the cave and I did a couple of 7cs and felt ok today I gave myself a huge kick up the arse and set off up Fabelita 8c just to go bolt to bolt for training and I did it!! I mean I have done this route before and know the moves well but I'm just so psyched to have got some fitness back in such a short time!! I finished off the day by doing the 7c 5 times. So psyched for this season going to have a couple of rest days and then maybe hit Oliana!!

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Gaz and I getting ready for some 7b chimneying[/td][/tr]
[/table]

tornado in cubells
[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jack on 7c at tres ponts[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]In the cave with Harry, home sweet home![/td][/tr]
[/table]

comPiler

• forum hero
#44 Catalunya Days
December 16, 2012, 12:00:28 am
Catalunya Days
15 December 2012, 7:53 pm

So those crisp winter days are upon us, fresh cold air and mint conditions on the rock. The last couple of weeks have been awesome, I have spent some really great days at Santa Linya cave sessioning Seleccio Natural with good friend Joe Kinder.

The route itself is majestic one of the best, untravelled to say the least,  Joe and I have had some frustrating hold snapping incidences, and have definately left the route harder than before.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Lowering off Seleccio Natural [/td][/tr]
[/table]

Trying a hard route with Joe is great fun, he brings so much energy to  the crag it's crazy, when he's not trying to send the route he's  investigating and bolting a new extension. It's been really cool to  compare and learn from different climbing styles and approaches,  enjoying the same route is something new to me and is something I've  been missing out on. Don't get me wrong trying projects on your own and  working out your own ways feels so wholesome but having a laugh,  belaying each other on the same project is really cool, I feel the most  relaxed I have ever felt whilst projecting a route. Psyched to get out  there tomorrow and give it a go!

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Joe chatting beta[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Chris and Primo

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Primo[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Colette[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Primo on fabela 8c+[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Another perfect Catalunya winter, wouldn't want to be anywhere else!!

The other current project Lynne and I have is a house!!! We have got a place 30 min from Margalef and 30 min from Siurana!!! Basically more climbing than you can shake a stick at so really psyched to put some work in and get it the way that we want it...

comPiler

• forum hero
#45 New year in the sunshine!
January 16, 2013, 12:00:39 am
New year in the sunshine!
15 January 2013, 8:45 pm

To bring in the  new year we headed down to Oliva near Gandia, with Gaz and Kate to check out the local crags there and get a bit of warm, sunny weather! Had a great week checking out Bovedon and climbing and bolting at Gaz's own super crag, en La Vall de la gallinera.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]The view from below the mega steep prow project.[/td][/tr]
[/table]

The view from Gaz's crag! Here I bolted a roof project, which I tried and will prob be 8b or maybe a bit harder called "Do the Andrada". Really cool spot perched up above a beautiful valley am definately psyched to go back and play on some of the projcets there!

Since then I've been climbing in margalef, trying some easier stuff because I've got a bad back:( and am currently seeing an osteopath about it, didn't really realise how frustrating and difficult back pain could be, i'ts also definately brought home that I need to get more flexible and that flexibility and posture play a huge part in both performance and preventing injuries.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]POW!!!!! [/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Happy after doing Rocaina dura 8b+ on the new part of Espadelles Margalef[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]

Los reyes de Margalef!!! haha

[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Sunny Catalan Weather ;) Harry snow wrapped[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Now back in Catalunya I'm so psyched to explore and climb at my new locals, Margalef and Siurana, also been out and found a load of sandstone boulders (roofs and everything) walking distance from my house!!! Just need a new back!

comPiler

• forum hero
#46 Rest time
February 24, 2013, 01:49:48 am
Rest time
19 February 2013, 5:45 pm

So unfortunately I have been dosed another rest period away from climbing:( this time it is a back injury.

I'd had the occasional sore lower back from time to time but always put it down to swinging around in huge steep caves and having sore, tired muscles. That was until when working on our house I lifted up a rather large boulder and felt something pull in my lower back, thinking it was just a tweaked muscle I went back to climbing a few days later trying seleccio natural 9a I could still climb but falling off and the pressure of my harness on my lower back was horrible! This continued for two months until I thought I need to go and see someone about this. I thought maybe I just needed a massage to work out the knot in my back. I saw a physio and then an osteopath and with no resolve, I went to the osteopath for 2 weeks until she said I better get an MRI done to see what exactly was wrong. So went for the MRI and it turns out I have a herniated disc or disc bulge. SO basically need to take it very steady and no climbing at the mo...going to get started with some physio and work towards getting fit and healthy again. It has really brought home that you have to look after yourself well and also has really made me look to and appreciate that I want to climb for a LONG time and that to be able to do that I need to respect stretching and general care and not just about trying as hard as I can every time I go to the crag.

A positive in all this rest time is that I'm working on my general flexibility and especially upperbody  working to see if I can straighten out my right arm fully for the first time in the last four years!!!!! Reading Jerry's book is definitely keeping the psyche up...

On a positive note our house is coming along and am very psyched about getting climbers to come and stay..... I also went out with a friend who lives near by to check out new walls 20 mins from the house that are pretty awesome, long, good rock and north facing which is perfect for when the weather heats up!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#47 Back!!!
July 19, 2013, 07:00:13 pm
Back!!!
19 July 2013, 1:22 pm

Back to the UK and Back training !!!!

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Training at the mega wall- The Depot Leeds[/td][/tr]
[/table]

So after a long lay off healing my back in the spanish sun I'm back to theUk ( which is suprisingly sunny at the mo) and back training. I know its sick to say but i'm loving training, climbing is great fun whether its on rock or plastic and I have missed it deeply!!!

I'm based in Edinburgh at the mo and am mega psyched to explore more of Scotland and check out Reiff and Torridon in the next week or so..

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Mr Beastmaker on Malc's arete Torridon[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Last week I was at the Outdoor Show in Friedrichschafen, Germany checking out all the new amazing kit on offer,  I was there with Edelrid and have to admit I'm really impressed with the innovative new kit they have released, can't wait to get my hands on it.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Prize winning "Product of the year" Snipe rope [/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr]
[/table] Dual thickness the first 7m are 10mm and the rest are 9.8 which is amazing for sport climbers as the ends of the rope ie the bit we trash first is more hard wearing. This is a must for any sport climber.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Prize winning harness Orion[/td][/tr]
[/table]

The comfiest climbing harness in the world and still super light. Psyched on this especially to take care of my back.

comPiler

• forum hero
#48 Era Vella 9a
May 25, 2014, 01:00:08 pm
Era Vella 9a
25 May 2014, 10:14 am

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Era vella 9a, pic Said Belhaj[/td][/tr]
[/table] Era Vella 9a, well psyched!

This route has been in the back of my mind for a long while, it is a mega route, truly world class.

Getting back to this level really feels like a big milestone and has made me more psyched than ever to try hard and keep pushing myself to try and achieve my climbing goals. Injuries can really mess with your head, but you can also learn so much from them and hurting my back made me realise that I wasn't indestructible that you have to take care of yourself and respect your limitations.

A few days before doing Era vella,I also redpointed  Victimas del passat r1 a mega route on one of the finest looking walls in Margalef, bouldery and explosive power endurance climbing, one of the best 8c's ive done and probably the hardest!

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Victimas del Passat r1 8c ,pic Lynne Malcolm

[/td][/tr]
[/table]

comPiler

• forum hero
Seleccio Natural 9a and Migranya 8b flash
4 June 2014, 4:58 pm

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]pic Sam Williams[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Wow so psyched to have done this route !! One of the coolest climbs out there, explosive climbing with two dynamic lurch cruxes:) Great fun! In Siurana I made the most of a dip in temperatures and managed to flash the classic 8b Migranya, cheers mac for the beta ;)

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]pic Sam Williams[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Right , the weather is heating up and I'm looking for other projects, one thing in particular has captured my attention and is a super exciting adventure. Sam Williams and I have set about ground up freeing a new multipitch route!! Pics and info to come soon!! Psyched about this one!

comPiler

• forum hero
#50 Temps dropping psyche rising
October 25, 2014, 01:00:24 pm
Temps dropping psyche rising
25 October 2014, 11:53 am

September was  rematch time for Sam Williams and I on our multipitch project "Icarus", we headed out with 2 weeks to try and finish off what we had previuosly started.

We had a fortnight and we thought we would have loads of time to get the route done. At the start we had everything going our way, on picking up the hire car Sam got a free upgrade to a beastly estate car that we could fit a massive Edelrid bouldering pad in and so there was our accomodation sorted!! We stormed off to the uber crag  psyched to see what the upper reaches of Icarus had to offer.

Day 1: we got back on the first pitch thinking we would romp through it and get on with working the second pitch, however I pulled on squirmed my way upto the crux into the mega run out and then  greased off in the out of season hot temps and basically circumcised my thumb and took a massive whipper only to land on a bolt head with my heel :( My nerves shaken, my thumb pissing blood this was not the positive start I had been hoping for!!! The day sadly to say went miserably with us only managing to make it to the base of the second pitch.

Thankfully things picked up after a slow start, my bruised heel and the hot temps meant we left working the second pitch for a few days and headed off to develop the higher pitches.

At this point we had the first 3 pitches equipped at estimate grades of 7b+, 8b, 6c+,  

Pitch 4: The first of the upper pitches will weigh in around 7b and has some great climbing with a real mix of holds from monos to water runnel side pulls, it leads about 25m up the wall to an obvious belay ledge.

Pitch 5: This pitch will prob be about 7b+ and features the same great and varied climbing of the previos pitch and is slightly longer at 30m to another obvious belay ledge.

Pitch 6: 4+ here you have to traverse round to the base of the "V wall" pitch, a stunningly immaculate vertical wall of blue water worn limestone.

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Storm rolling in while we were at the base of "V wall" pitch.[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Pitch 7: The "V wall" pitch, this is the pitch which took us longest to equip and the pitch that we had the most time playing on. The friction climbing on this wall is of superb quality an inspiring wall with just enough holds to make it possible and "the cherry on top" of our very own multipitch route.  I estimate the grade to be around 8b, we tried it in pretty hot conditions so it will be good to try it in the cold and see how it feels.

En fin: We were incredibly naive in thinking that we would smash out a brand new multipitch ground up in 5 days!!! In total we have spent nearly 3 weeks and it's still not finished. But in no way do I regret it, undoubtedly it has been the biggest and best climbing adventure I have had. I cant wait to get back up there!

[tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Tired me at the top of the route!! Psyched to get back and send all the pitches in a oner!!![/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr]
[/table]

October! Time to increase the day fitness get on some hard projects (9a+s) and get out climbing loads!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal