UKBouldering.com

Balance Bikes (Read 6047 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 02:00:20 pm
Anyone got any experience of Balance Bikes for nippers? What age are they suitable for kids from? The wee man is fast outgrowing his Winnie the Pooh push along and I'm thinking he will be ready for one soon.

They seem pretty dear for what they are though; anyone recommend any that are best value, or have a second hand one they want to sell?

Luthor

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 02:10:18 pm
I'd definitely recommend them.. Started my two out with an isla bike balance bike around age 2 1/2 - 3ish (i think) - and both had progressed to riding a bike with pedals by about age 4.

The concept is great as they learn balance and steering first. Once that is wired the pedalling is the easy bit :-)

The isla bike was expensive, but did 2 kids and then sold on ebay for approx 50% of original price.

Plenty more around these days though, decathlon knock them out for about thirty quid!!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/run-ride-175387600/

L

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 02:32:32 pm
Should have thought of Decathlon, will be down Glasgow way next month, will check them out then. Cheers.

ep

#3 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 02:48:53 pm
I'd definately reccommend a balance bike, we bought one for our 2+1/2 half year old and after a few weeks he's got the hang of it, and pretty much goes everywhere on it at full speed. Got a cheap one from toys r'us abouth £20.

Our other lad at 41/2 didnt have one at that age but has had a bike with pedals for abouth 3 months. the difference in balance between the both of them is obvious, as you cant really learn to balance with stabilisers on!!

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 02:58:00 pm
i got one for my sisters little girl from toys r us for £25 i think it was.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 03:35:36 pm
How old before they start doing spins on the way to school?

casa

• addict
#6 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 04:52:16 pm
Agree with general consensus, defo get one. Got a cheapie ofov fleabay for just over fuckall. The boy still luvs it even though he was on to proper bike within the month

jamiev

• regular
#7 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 05:00:26 pm
I taught son to ride by:

i) bike with stabilisers - he got used to sitting on saddle and pedalling etc, but not, obviously, balancing.
ii) take stabilisers and pedals off same bike. Take bike and son to v small grassy hill (with grass at base). Lower saddle. Send child down hill on bike which now acts as a balance bike. He loved this and got used to it v quickly, so the hills gradually got bigger.
iii) put pedals back on bike et voila. Son could balance and ride.

So all was accomplished on his first normal bike; no need for separate balance bike.

tom_greenwich

#8 Re: Balance Bikes
July 21, 2011, 08:13:39 pm
+1 for Islabike. Started from 2 1/2 years, got her a proper bike for 4th birthday and she basically got on it and rode off. Was bizarrely a bit of an anti-climax not getting to do the whole proud dad teaching her to ride!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#9 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 06:27:58 am
I taught the biggest child to ride by the same method as jamiev, except that I only thought to remove the pedals after much ankle scraping.

Middle child is still too short for any normal bikes that I found so I went for the Decathlon balance bike - the metal framed one with a rear brake like in Luthor's link.

Working pretty well so far, but I have (minor) concerns that the wheels might wear down before the newest child gets to use it. The wheels are made out of some kind of hard foam rather than air filled like normal bikes. I'm hoping that by then Jasper Jr will have finished with his cool machine and Mrs Sharpe will pass it on to us.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 06:47:46 am
we got the eldest a wooden 'john crane' balance bike when she was about 1 1/2 years old and she loved it straight away before she was even big enough to ride it but she tried anyway. its been great apart from the fact the wooden wheel centres are too flimsy and break after a while so have had to mend them. soon she mastered it and has loved riding it for the best part of 2 years. got her a decathlon bike with peddles a month or so ago, didn't put stabalisers on. cowboyhat comes round with his kid who can ride a bike, 10 mins later she can ride a proper bike. this was last week and she's 3 1/2 years old. will be getting an islabike for her next bike.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 08:32:41 am
My Mum got Sharpe jr an isla bike when he was about 2 1/2. He showed absolutely no interest in it until a few months ago. Now goes everywhere on it and is going to need a proper bike (i.e. pedals and a brake) soon before he injures himself going too quickly without being able to stop. In Font he was actually more stable on the bike than on foot and rode it to and from every crag.

Once they get into it it's amazing how quickly they progress. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to get him to understand the pedalling action (we have a decent old normal bike) when he's used to just scooting along on the balance bike. Any tips or should I just fire him down a hill and see how he goes?
 :P

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 08:37:31 am
I went for the Lagers method too:

Friends have used balance bikes for their kids and recommended them though.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#13 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 08:57:05 am

Once they get into it it's amazing how quickly they progress. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to get him to understand the pedalling action (we have a decent old normal bike) when he's used to just scooting along on the balance bike. Any tips or should I just fire him down a hill and see how he goes?

They seem to get it almost the moment you put them on a proper bike Jaz.  Our grandson made the transition from Isla balance bike to Isla pedal bike in half an hour.  It was bloody amazing......  ;D

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#14 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 08:59:32 am
Anyone got any experience of Balance Bikes for nippers? What age are they suitable for kids from? The wee man is fast outgrowing his Winnie the Pooh push along and I'm thinking he will be ready for one soon.

They seem pretty dear for what they are though; anyone recommend any that are best value, or have a second hand one they want to sell?

I'm a big fan Chris.  My grandson was riding an Isla bike round Millhouses Park in Sheff at two and he's not looked back since then.  Get the cheapest one you can obviously - they grow out of them really quickly!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 09:33:01 am
I totally agree with all the positive reponses here.

A friend gave our son a balance bike when he was about 18 months old. He loved it. We put him on a proper bike aged about 3, and expected him to wobble to the end of the street as I remembered doing on my first go. Instead we chased him about half a mile to a spot where there is fountain surrounded by some benches and ornamental rocks, around which he proceeded to ride slalom for half an hour.

Balance bikes work.

jern

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 11:12:18 am
Another vote for balance bikes.

Got our eldest (now 3 1/2) a Strider (http://www.stridersports.co.uk/) just over a year ago. He still loves it and its the fastest way of getting to / from pre-school etc (I refuse to put a 3 year old in a push-chair). It's a lot cheaper than the Isla bike and much more robust than the wooden (hippy) ones. Has adjustable seat height and optional foot operated brake.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#17 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 12:35:25 pm
Any tips or should I just fire him down a hill and see how he goes?

point him down a hill with a well rounded Uncle Lagers at the bottom to provide a soft and safe crash barrier

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 Re: Balance Bikes
July 22, 2011, 05:08:49 pm
I'm not sure how to get him to understand the pedalling action (we have a decent old normal bike) when he's used to just scooting along on the balance bike. Any tips or should I just fire him down a hill and see how he goes?
Take him down decathlon and let him ride round on the display bikes with stabalisers on them until he gets used to it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal