UKBouldering.com

Best place to buy a 2nd hand DSLR ? (Read 4029 times)

biscuit

• menacing presence
Best place to buy a 2nd hand DSLR ?
July 05, 2011, 09:03:08 pm
I've decided to take the plunge and get a DSLR. I know nish about photography but have a hankering for taking better pics. A Canon D3100 seems to fit the bill as a good simple first timers camera. I have only 2 questions:

Where is a good place to get a 2nd hand one ? Found them on ebay for £290 ( body only )

Is the 18-55mm lens that can come with it worth it or for climbing shots would i be better just getting the body and buying a different one ?

Make that 3 questions - sorry:

Is the HD option on it any good ? I know focussing can be an issue.

Paul B

• forum hero
Harrisons
Ffordes

Like with anything on ebay you have to judge it. Buying an entry level model you can imagine the sale is because someone is moving up the body ladder.

From what I understand the Nikon kit lens is well reviewed. By 'ok' for climbing shots it depends what you want. 18mm isn't super wide on a crop body, nor is 55mm on a crop (x1.5 for Nikon) particularly long. Its a good place to start.

Yes, HD footage from DSLRs is pretty stunning for the cost. Focussing is manual, if you want point and shoot auto focussing options you don't want one for video!

biscuit

• menacing presence
Cheers Paul, i'll look at those two.

Looks like the lens will do me as a learner.

Thanks again.

tomtom

• forum hero
If it's 290 for the body, whack on another 80 or so for the basic lens and your not that far off the £400-450 the brand new one would cost....

E.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nikon+d3100+digital+slr+camera&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=8581934874&ref=pd_sl_10vi9sk7wk_b

£300 for the d3000 is pretty good if you can live without live view and vid...

biscuit

• menacing presence
You make a good point there. I do want the HD though. A bit more hunting has turned up some possibilities. No rush so i shall take my time and see what's out there.

Cheers.

ducko

• junky
i have a HD camcorder that im selling if your intrested i can get you spec and pics, its wicked quality full1080p HD i just dont use it

biscuit

• menacing presence
cheers but i am going for the dslr as i want to get better at photos + have HD vid as well.

ducko

• junky
#7 Re: Best place to buy a 2nd hand DSLR ?
August 10, 2011, 04:56:08 pm
my feriend uses a cannon 550D its awsome im getting a 60D soon soo ill post up my opinions althou it looks mega

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
#8 Re: Best place to buy a 2nd hand DSLR ?
August 19, 2011, 09:27:21 am
Did you get any further with this Biscuit? Would be interested in hearing about your findings so far as I'm still after something similar myself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Best place to buy a 2nd hand DSLR ?
August 19, 2011, 10:01:46 am
Harrison Cameras Twitter feed has lots of second hand things for sale.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal