UKBouldering.com

Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011 (Read 17659 times)

lincoln.3

Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 02, 2011, 07:41:53 pm
Does anyone know how the Uk representitives got on in todays qualifying round in Sheffield?

robertostallioni

• forum hero

lincoln.3

#2 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 02, 2011, 07:57:12 pm
Cheers.
 ;D

climbingjoe1984

• regular
#3 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 03, 2011, 11:50:45 pm
Was I the only person who found the constant shouting of the announcer in the final for the crowd to make noise continuously a little irritating?

The climbing was superb and it is great we get these events in the uk.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 07:12:02 am
i watched it on streaming and it was great indeed!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 09:14:27 am
Was I the only person who found the constant shouting of the announcer in the final for the crowd to make noise continuously a little irritating?
No, everybody I spoke to said a similar thing, only they used the words "fucking annoying" rather than "a little irritating"

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#6 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 09:35:01 am
That was indeed the case.

However, I am pretty sure that it was a better atmosphere for it. But really I think you want commentary somewhere between Ian's factual and Dustin's manic Canadian ranting.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#7 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 09:52:32 am
No, everybody I spoke to said a similar thing, only they used the words "fucking annoying" rather than "a little irritating"
:agree:

Nick B

• addict
#8 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 10:36:16 am
Either way, brilliant competition.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 11:02:05 am
Was Dustin on telly in the 80s with Ted Rogers? no, sorry - that was Dusty Bin.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 11:57:35 am
Was Dustin on telly in the 80s with Ted Rogers Les Dennis?

Yes!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 12:47:05 pm
Les Dennis, the French Fire Engine.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#12 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 12:54:45 pm
Either way, brilliant competition.

once again a well organised comp by graemeA

Scouse D

• forum hero
#13 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 01:47:04 pm
very good comp ruined for me by Dustin.
Saying things to a crowd like 'you're really letting me down now' does not wash well with British sensibilities. We didn't give a fuck that he felt let down just wished he'd shut up.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 02:17:17 pm
Comp was good.  Found the women's problems more enjoyable to watch, not just due to the gender of the competitors but because I felt they seemed to flow better/create more tension.  Wondered if the heat maybe adversely affected the climbing of some of the problems, particularly the mens one that no one topped out on where they had to hang some tiny rail for the second move.

Also agree that the commentator was awful, at the beginning I even considered leaving, I am guessing someone must of had a word with him as he seemed to become slightly less awful as it went on, why would people mindlessly cheer for 30 seconds/whatever as someone is static on a wall trying to adjust their hands on a sloper/jam?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#15 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 04:12:07 pm
That commentator was an twat. Loads of folk left the comp and passed by our stand saying they couldn't stand it any more.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 04:33:06 pm
Yeah, apart from the commentator I thought the comp was excellent yesterday. Shame the first moves on the Men's 2nd problem seemed so nails though - never got to see anybody climbing that zebra-striped split volume at the top.

They should've got the commentators from last year's BBC's in -  Audrey Seguy and that fella who came out with the lines 'more SYKED than a badger on crack' and 'the endurance of a seal'.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#17 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 04, 2011, 09:59:51 pm
That commentator was an twat. Loads of folk left the comp and passed by our stand saying they couldn't stand it any more.

Dustin isn't a twat, he is merely a Canadian who didn't understand that a British audience doesn't need constantly egging on. But he does now. I guess the adrenaline got the better off him despite my warnings to him to not be OTT.

Having said that without Dustin doing his thing the atmosphere would have been a lot more muted. Remember the thread last year when you all said how we needed a more upbeat MC as it was too muted. Well I thought the atmosphere yesterday was the best at any of the BWC's that I have been to so far this year (I've been to 7 out of the 8 so far) and Dustin contributed significantly to that atmosphere.

And "that fella who came out with the lines 'more SYKED than a badger on crack' " is bloody useless and doesn't have a clue what he is on about  :whistle:

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#18 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 10:42:27 am
Amazing, well organised and super inspiring comp.

As for the commentator, I find it's never a good sign when your own girlfriend offers you money to choke someone out!

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#19 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 11:27:45 am

Dustin isn't a twat, he is merely a Canadian who didn't understand that a British audience doesn't need constantly egging on. But he does now. I guess the adrenaline got the better off him despite my warnings to him to not be OTT.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#20 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 11:41:23 am

Anyone else remember that Harry Enfield character?

"Oi - loud and shouty Canadian MC - NO!!"

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#21 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 12:55:46 pm

:agree:

Irritating and over loud to the point where some of our potential customers walked away from our marquee.  As usual CragX was directly opposite the circus tent. One question asked was if it was Beavis or Butthead who was commentating.

As for Graeme's "Well I thought the atmosphere yesterday was the best at any of the BWC's that I have been to so far this year (I've been to 7 out of the 8 so far) and Dustin contributed significantly to that atmosphere." that is one of the reasons I avoid competitions; the "atmosphere" coming from the circus tent on Sunday was utterly ghastly. Having watched one film of cage fighting(for research, it seemed like a codified and glamourised street brawl outside a cheap night club) the noise from  the competition commentator's delivery seemed very similar to their announcer. This is a major headline event; climbers are often potrayed by a mostly ignorant mass media as an irresponsible rabble, the Sunday night commentary did little to rebutt that prejudice.

To steal from one of my school reports "could, and should do better"

abarro81

• forum hero
#22 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 01:17:37 pm
Yes, we should all sit around with our hampers, picnics, strawberries and cream, and little British flags making remarks like "oh tremendously good work old chap". But not too loudly.
Disclaimer: I wasn't there, have never been to cliffhanger, and on the streaming you couldn't hear this Dustin guy that much.

P.S. I like being part of an irresponsible rabble.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#23 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 01:39:21 pm
You should have been there to witness the "irresponsible rabble" scenes at the Broady when the fun police came out and shut down the tunes and wanted everyone to do one home, well good!

The scenes in the park afterwards sounded amazing!! Irresponsible rabble on!!

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#24 Re: Cliff hanger Sheffield 2011
July 05, 2011, 02:25:17 pm
Yes, we should all sit around with our hampers, picnics, strawberries and cream, and little British flags making remarks like "oh tremendously good work old chap". But not too loudly.
Disclaimer: I wasn't there, have never been to cliffhanger, and on the streaming you couldn't hear this Dustin guy that much.

P.S. I like being part of an irresponsible rabble.
:agree: :agree:
What a spiffing suggestion my dear chap! That colonial fellow's presentation was rather loud and vulgar. So glad you were mostly spared his ravings with this new wire service you young chaps use nowadays. Rather unsure about the flags though; such overenthusiastic nationalism is why my family arrived on these civilised and tolerant shores over the previous couple of centuries.

I delight for you that you like being part of an irreponsible rabble. In the interests of diversity, please accept some of us choose not to be part of one.

I do approve of your  suggestion about picnic hampers. Especially the strawberries. I'll forego the cream however, that would make me physically sick.

Be well abarro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal