UKBouldering.com

Rock Rings Training (Read 12313 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 06:20:57 pm
After searching the archives I've not come up with anything of use, so I'll start a new post.
I'm well aware that using Metolius rock rings isn't as good as using a regular fingerboard and/or simple campus rung, but due to the constraints of rented accommodation (wall fixings/damage to door frames etc.), they're the best I have access to for now, so am keen to maximise them.

I've been doing sessions on them a few times a week for about a year, doing selections of deadhangs, repeaters and pull-ups on the three rungs, varying between sessions of power training and endurance training (long hangs with a foot on a stool).
I'm just wondering if the collective UKB knowledge has any interesting ideas for other ways to use the rings?  Much of the fingerboard-specific training info talks about isolating grips, assisted one-armers etc, but you can't really do much of that with rock rings.  Anything novel would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Gaz 

lukeinaz

#1 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 07:56:25 pm
Start working on your one armers.  I found rings really useful for progressing from a full jug to a single pad one arm.

edit:  sorry didnt read your full post

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 08:26:03 pm
what are you hanging the rock rings off? It seems the crag-hanging-fingerboard is currently the must have item and would no doubt be of more use than rock rings?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#3 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 08:40:25 pm
I've got them clipped to a long sling that's looped round 2 beams in the loft and then hanging down through the loft trap-door.  Means I can just unclip them and close the loft when I'm done (and the landlords visit). 
Where do these hanging fingerboards come from, or is it a DIY job?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 08:46:49 pm
I've got them clipped to a long sling that's looped round 2 beams in the loft and then hanging down through the loft trap-door.  Means I can just unclip them and close the loft when I'm done (and the landlords visit). 
Where do these hanging fingerboards come from, or is it a DIY job?

These fellas are the worlds favourites at the moment - with good cause too..

http://www.beastmaker.co.uk/

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#5 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 09:14:24 pm
Aye, I know, but I've got the usual issues of mounting a board in rented accommodation.  So for now rock rings are the most convenient short-term solution.  I'm hoping I'll be able to sort something better soon.

richieb

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 09:15:53 pm
Alright Gaz, I think the idea is you could still use a fingerboard (ie BM) mounted to a plank of wood and hung from a sling in the same way your rock rings are. The board would obviously rotate some, but you could maybe rig some kind of prop against a wall or something to stop this? Or have 2 sling attachment points.

Or perhaps build something that would brace across the hatch and suspend the board down through the hole?

Sorry, don't know owt about rock rings though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 09:26:08 pm
Theres is a whole thread - pictures everything of different ways of mounting a BM temporarily somewhere on here...
(if the search was any good.....) ;)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#8 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 09:29:56 pm
Ah, I see.  I'd not thought of that.  I'll have a wee scout about the BM website for dimensions and see if it would fit in the hallway.  If it worked, that would be pretty funky.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 23, 2011, 09:39:56 pm
Some inspiration for you:

http://www.beastmaker.co.uk/Mounting_fingerboards.pdf

I'm sure you could fashion something to do the same through a loft hatch.

lukeinaz

#10 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 24, 2011, 02:19:30 pm
you could try this

lukeinaz

#11 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 24, 2011, 02:24:43 pm
..... assisted one-armers etc, but you can't really do much of that with rock rings...

actually rings are great for assisted one-armers.  but if you are not there yet you can pull yourself up with both arms and try to lower yourself slowly with one arm.  if this is too much use both arms and add weight.  use a grip that you cant lock off on and again try to lower yourself very slowly.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 24, 2011, 03:00:26 pm
Used RRs a few years ago, yes they are limited compared with a fingerboard, but still better than nothing if you can't get out climbing, plus they're a bit kinder on the elbows.

Agree with above that they are good for assisted one armers or offset pull ups which is how I used them along with some encores/repeaters.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Rock Rings Training
June 26, 2011, 12:18:32 pm
beastmaker has a good bit on mounting fingerboards. if you type mounting fingerboards into google its the first link. I currently live in rented accommodation and have a BM attached to a powerbar (end of page 2) and it works fine, no attachments, can take off easily. All I needed was a powerbar and about £10 of wood and a few screws (I am not a master carpenter so it doesnt require too much know how). For rented accommodation I would say this is the ideal set up. Hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal