UKBouldering.com

Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing (Read 11116 times)

Slide

• addict
Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 03:06:49 pm
I'm off to Les Gets in a couple of weeks for a bit of MTB and Sport climbing.  Apparently i can get topos at the Tourist info when i'm there but wondered if anyone has any info/climbed on the Morzine/Les gets region.

Anything would be appreciated.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 03:28:29 pm
What week are you going to be there?  i'm out on the 9th to 16th of July and was undecided about climbing...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 03:33:42 pm
The guide for the immedite vicinity of Les Gets is the Vallee du Giffre Guide. There are claims that you can get it from Tabac in Taninges, but I've never seen it there. Decathlon in Sallanches, or the small sport shop (intersport?) in Cluses definitely stock it. You could try in the big TABAC / bookshop in Les Gets. Very little of the climbing is in the near vicinity of Les Gets as most of the rock at that level is pretty crumbly. The nearest is an overhanging crag behind the Auberge de Vallee (my aunt and uncles place!) in the Pont de Gets. The rest of the stuff is in the Giffre Valley to the south. Unless you have a car it will be a bit of a hassle to get to.

There is apparently a seperate guide for climbing around the Lac Leman, but no idea how far up the Valley that goes extends towards Morzine. There are definitely sport routes visible from the little cafe by the Gorge viewpoint, but no idea if they are in the guide.

If you fancy a rest day activity the tandem parapente jump off Mont Chery is good fun if you haven't done one before. Mountain Boarding really hurts. I mean really hurts.

clm

• forum hero
#3 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 04:12:32 pm
Saw an article about Flaine in grimper couple of years ago. Some at les carroz too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 04:19:07 pm
Yeah they look quite good, they are in the Vallee de l'Arvre Guide which is the next one south, that you drive through to get to Cham.

Slide

• addict
#5 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 05:07:04 pm
Fultonius.  I'm out the very same time. Just booked the chunnel today for the Friday night. Psyched!

Thanks CA Chris & clm for the info.  We have transport so should be able to get to Flaine or the other surrounding areas

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#6 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 05:17:42 pm
California Chris?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#7 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 05:19:56 pm
Fultonius.  I'm out the very same time. Just booked the chunnel today for the Friday night. Psyched!

Thanks CA Chris & clm for the info.  We have transport so should be able to get to Flaine or the other surrounding areas

Cool, would I be able to cadge a lift to the crag one day in return for a belay  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 05:34:32 pm

No worries, just had a look, it's definitely an Intersport in Cluses. Minor detour to get there.

Not sure what grades you are after but La Frasse has some of the funkiest rock I have ever climbed on - wierd long runnels down a slab http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10181 worth stopping for a look regardless of what gerade you operate at. Treydon is right next door, accessed from the same parking.

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Morzine / Les gets Sports Climbing
June 23, 2011, 08:13:39 pm
The Foron is the place to go.You get to it from Point De Gets, you take the right hand fork on the road to the ski area who's name escapes me at the moment.Perfect rock and seriously steep in places.Not much easy stuff,one 6b to warm up on then 7a and above.
Great spot.
The Vallees de L'Arve & du Risse guide has got stuff round Taninges as well as stuff in Samoens valley(I got my guide in the bookshop in Samoens)
Also the guide has a limited bouldering topo to Le Bourrinoire which is one of Fred haunts.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Right hand fork goes to Les Gets; left hand fork goes the Pra de Lys?

The guidebooks have been split up now and the recent editions are for the Giffre and Arvre seperately.

webbo

• forum hero
I meant turn right when you are on the road to Pra de lys.
I haven't been out there for about 3 years,so I've not looked for any new guides.The one I mentioned above has got several trips worth of climbing in.The only draw back is finding shady climbing in the lower grades i.e. in the 6's.

SA Chris

• forum hero
The back road to Sommand? Usually closed all winter.

Slide

• addict
Sorry, i meant SA Chris!

Fultonius.  Yes you could indeed join us climbing if there's enough space in the car those days.  My number is 07816462830. Not sure what days or where yet though.

Thanks once again for all the info everyone.  All i have to do now is avoid break myself MTBing.

webbo

• forum hero
The back road to Sommand? Usually closed all winter.
Can't remember where it goes although I have been up there on my bike.I think you can get to Morzine that way.

SA Chris

• forum hero
You can, but it's the main direct way to Sommand,which is on the back side of Praz de Lys.

webbo

• forum hero
Not from what I can see on the map.You go round the back of Mont Chery and the Foron is on the hairpin by L'Encrenaz(if you've got the Annecy/Lausanne map there is the Col de Foron to the left of the hairpin), the road goes on through the La Cote-d'Abro in to Morzine.Sommant seems to be on the other side of Le Praz de Lys on the Col de la Ramaz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal