UKBouldering.com

Server move (Read 6414 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Server move
December 04, 2002, 11:28:32 pm
This board moved servers last night, and is currently only accessible via ukbouldering.info (but then you've probably guessed that already!). In a few days, it should be accessable via ukbouldering.com/co.uk/etc again.

If anything doesn't work properly, please email: mike@ukbouldering.info

Over the next few days, it's likely that parts of the site won't work properly, namely all the servlet based stuff until this is set up on the new server, which might take a few days. So, you might not notice any difference, or you might notice some bizarre errors, but don't worry, everything will be sorted by next week, or it better fuckin' had be anyway.

dave

#1 Server move
December 05, 2002, 08:58:14 am
so how come now every time i visit this board, despite having clicked "log me on automatically each visit" i still have to log on every time? :evil:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Server move
December 05, 2002, 09:03:26 am
Hmmm....dunno - I always log in every time anyway, but it could be down to cookies. Try deleting any ukbouldering cookies from your cookie jar, and see if that helps. The system should set a new ukbouldering.info cookie.

Things will be odd until the other domains are pointing at the new server. This should only take 1 to 2 days, but my domain registrar are pissing me about  :cry:

dave

#3 Server move
December 05, 2002, 11:51:21 am
Tried that, didn't work. C'est la vie.

Also i've noticed that it highlights my own posts as new posts on the thread, which it didn't do before. Anyone else noticed this?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Server move
December 05, 2002, 11:57:53 am
Yeah, it's doing that for me too.

I'm going to leave until the other domains are over, then I'm going to worry about it then. Such things never go smoothly, but hopefully I won't have to do it again for ages.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Server move
December 06, 2002, 07:57:20 am
Update:

All the servlet based stuff (vids/pics/problems/etc) most likely won't work from later on today.

Should be back as normal from tomorrow (Sat 6th) morning when I've had a chance to do the necessary tweaking.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 Server move
December 06, 2002, 10:28:37 am
well its not like you'll be rushing out to go climbing on any nice dry rocks or anything is it.

BASTARDS!!!!! WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME WITH MIDWEEK SUN????   :bang:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Server move
December 06, 2002, 10:50:47 am
It's going to by sunny, dry and freezing this weekend...... it is!.... IT IS I TELL YA!!!

If I shout loud enough, maybe it will happen. Sunday's looking mildly better-ish.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Server move
December 07, 2002, 07:05:11 pm
Hi ukb folks,

Ok, after a whole fuckin' day of slaving away re-configuring the new server, most parts of the site are back to normal.

problems:
  • Some thumnails and images are missing
  • The problems submission form won't submit (some fucka was using our server to route spam so has been disabled until an updated version of the submission script is installed)
  • The printable version of the problem results page won't work if you've got cookies set off
  • Some password protected parts of the site won't let you in at the moment - sorry all you cavers looking for the guidebook  :oops:
  • The dynamic parts of the site haven't been performance optimised so may run a little slow
  • A program messed up the case of many file names, so some things might dissapear, as the server is case-sensitive
  • That's all I've noticed at the moment.

If you notice anything not working/missing, then please let me know , either by posting here or dropping me an email.

Anyway, now that's out of the way, I can start working on improving the site again. Re-design on it's way. Requests for features would be useful to let me give you what you want.

Sorry this has taken so long, but I've had another 20 odd domains and almost as many websites to move server, not just this one  :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Server move
December 09, 2002, 08:55:50 am
Ho hum, looks like peope can't get in using the www. prefix - anyone got in from www.ukbouldering.com and not just ukbouldering.com? Need to get set up so I can sort this from work  :cry:

dave

#10 Server move
December 09, 2002, 10:24:44 am
I get in ok from www.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Server move
December 09, 2002, 10:29:47 am
I thought I'd set it up fine. From work, I can only get in from www.ukbouldering.info, not www.ukbouldering.co.uk/com/net/org. Strange.

dave

#12 Server move
December 09, 2002, 10:32:45 am
I can't get in from the latter.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Server move
December 09, 2002, 10:38:31 am
Shit, my own server hates me  :cry:

Bubba

• Global Moderator