UKBouldering.com

Malham Access Warning (Read 19488 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
#25 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 04:10:42 pm
I agree with Teaboy, a sign should not be needed. Seriously you think it's OK to piss outside someones house? Really? Come on, this isn't anything tricky to understand, just a bit of standard courtesy.
If you think that a sign will change anything then perhaps you should visit Kilnsey on a weekend and see how effective the signs regarding parking are there.
Also:
but the fact is a lot of climbers tend to piss and shit in all sorts of inappropriate places.
Is NOT the fact, the fact is a lot of selfish ignorant thoughtless people tend to piss and shit in all sorts of inappropriate places. If you were one of those people before Shark bollocked you but are now a changed man then maybe bollocking by friends is the way to go, it certainly can't be any less effective than putting a sign up.

Oh and there's nothing sanctimonious about expecting people to be able to achieve just a basic level of behaviour in a public place without the need for signs.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#26 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 07:49:02 pm
The problem is that the residents of Malham don't particularly like climbers and so we are tolerated as long as we keep as low a profile as possible. Putting up a sign would be tangible evidence that, as a group, we would rather piss on your doorstep, than walk 150 meters to a public convenience. Similarly, the car park is not a climbers car park and putting up signs directed at climbers would suggest we climbers feel a certain entitlement to it that might get up the local residents' noses.

Why? Is the sign going to read...

Climbers must not piss in this car park

Perhaps a sign along the lines of

Toilets are located for your convenience at 2 minutes down the road*

* Sorry don't actually know where this is.

:wall:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 09:24:13 am
OK, slack-line you know best. Next time you're there put a sign up if you think it'll help, I was only giving my opinion.

I don't see how a sign indicating where toilets are can be either implicitly or explicitly targeting climbers.  Its just a sign....saying where toilets are.  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 11:23:05 am
It'd be preddy cool if the sign had a hyperlink in it like above ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#29 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 11:28:32 am
Is NOT the fact, the fact is a lot of selfish ignorant thoughtless people tend to piss and shit in all sorts of inappropriate places.

This is very true.  Some arse had taken a shit under Vitruvian Man at Trowbarrow, I can't see this being a climber.  It's just the state of the Nation.  Back in my day etc etc

On a serious note, this kind of behaviour seems to be becoming more acceptable to a (growing?) minority.  I'm not sure what can be done about what is effectively a social norm for a certain bunch of individuals. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 11:38:41 am
Compulsory toilet / potty training at A Level?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#31 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 11:49:37 am
Good idea, but it's not going to do anything for the unsociable bastards that have already left school.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#32 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 11:51:33 am
Shock collars for them then. Activate any time they give the involuntary shudder outside a public convenience.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#33 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 07:27:27 pm
OK, slack-line you know best. Next time you're there put a sign up if you think it'll help, I was only giving my opinion.

I don't see how a sign indicating where toilets are can be either implicitly or explicitly targeting climbers.  Its just a sign....saying where toilets are.  :shrug:

No one is saying it would. I am saying that a sign shouldn't be needed to tell people not to piss in this guys bushes. If you can't see that, fair enough. I am done going round in circles here. It is just wrong. That is all that needs to be said. Thank you, and goodnight.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#34 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 09:20:26 pm
The last thing the world needs, never mind Malham is another sign.   :slap:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 05, 2011, 10:20:29 pm
No one is saying it would. I am saying that a sign shouldn't be needed to tell people not to piss in this guys bushes. If you can't see that, fair enough. I am done going round in circles here. It is just wrong. That is all that needs to be said. Thank you, and goodnight.

I find signs to toilets useful when I don't know an area.  Not everyone who goes automatically knows where they are.  :shrug:

Sleep well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#36 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 06, 2011, 09:33:13 am
The last thing the world needs, never mind Malham is another sign.   :slap:

Yeah, it's a bit of a piss-take.

(Sorry, I tried to resist, but couldn't)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 06, 2011, 09:50:46 am
Out of curiosity where do regular denizens of Malham head to when they're caught short during the day?

Are there similar issues (despite it not being viewable from someone's back door) with micturition and defecation at the crag itself?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#38 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 06, 2011, 03:10:19 pm

Are there similar issues  with micturition and defecation at the crag itself?

No, but there's piss and shit everywhere. (joke)
I once got caught short at the crag, walked back to the village(NT carpark toilets) for a turkish, and, wanting to avoid that rigmarole again, I now give myself the old coffee enema in the morning and visit the NT carpark toilets to aid the unavoidable conclusion.

I suppose I could just have a piss and a shit by my car though, as they can't get you for that.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#39 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 06, 2011, 05:26:50 pm
I find signs to toilets useful when I don't know an area.  Not everyone who goes automatically knows where they are.  :shrug:

If you're parking in the Cove centre car park then about 10secs earlier you'll have driven past the clearly signed toilets and another 30secs before that past the, also, clearly signed NT toilets.

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 06, 2011, 05:43:42 pm

Are there similar issues  with micturition and defecation at the crag itself?

No, but there's piss and shit everywhere. (joke)
I once got caught short at the crag, walked back to the village(NT carpark toilets) for a turkish, and, wanting to avoid that rigmarole again, I now give myself the old coffee enema in the morning and visit the NT carpark toilets to aid the unavoidable conclusion.

I suppose I could just have a piss and a shit by my car though, as they can't get you for that.

Get yourself one of these beauties.. looks perfect for the job :)

Robbo

• regular
  • Once a Royal Marine, always a Royal Marine
#41 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 26, 2011, 09:09:49 am
Surely the best way to try and resolve this issue, is to self Police it. i.e if you see anyone pissing in the carpark, then give them a Shark style bollocking.
Generally people arrive and leave at around the same times, so there is a good chance people will be spotted by fellow climbers when pissing up against their cars, the lone tree etc..
I appreciate that this isn't always the case, but there aren't many people soloing up the Cove. As such climbers always leave in pairs/trios. So make sure you have a word, if your oppo starts pissing all over the carpark before you get in your car to head home.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:16:01 am by Robbo »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal