UKBouldering.com

anyone recommend me a breathable bivvy bag? (Read 4161 times)

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
I'm thinking of doing a bit of first time bivvying this summer, probably just one night at a time for shits and giggles. I spotted the Alpkit Hunka which looks pretty ace for £30, anybody care to comment/advise?

Cheers!

Iain.

daprince

• regular
    • timeticks
Everything I have have ever bought from Alpkit has been excellent value for money. About half the price of popular brands and pretty good quality to boot. Not used a Hunka bivvy but got one of their sleeping bags and its genius. They seem to be the Ronseal of the gear world. At thirty quid and you don't want to live in it what can go wrong?

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
http://www.readytoleave.com/products/9579.jpg

probably better with something like this rather than just a bag. bags are good if your into ultra running but the comfort of having proper over head cover is nicer imo.
hope the link works no good with that sort of thing.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I'd agree. The Hunka looks not dissimilar to the Survival Zone. Essentially a sleeping bag cover. Fine for reasonable weather, or Alpinists, but for comfort I'd go for a proper bag

Something like that.

Also, if you're going to bivy in Scotland, make sure it's got a midge net!

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
cheers people! I'd spotted the rab bag in rock n run for 35 quid or so, so i might give that a bash.

Muchos gracias!

Iain

tomtom

• forum hero
Prepare yourself for morning bivvi bag panic, where you suddenly wake up with a face of soggy goretex and think you've been buried alive until you remember you're in a bivvi bag..

*some people may pay good money for this experience...

remus

• forum hero
Ive got the alpkit and have used it a fair bit, though only in good conditions. Its a perfectly serviceable bag, very simple and packs down pretty small. Its not astoundingly breathable so you will wake up with a damp sleeping bag on cold nights, but its never been bad enough to affect my beauty sleep.

fried

• forum hero
Prepare yourself for morning bivvi bag panic, where you suddenly wake up with a face of soggy goretex and think you've been buried alive until you remember you're in a bivvi bag..

*some people may pay good money for this experience...

Or even worse, busting for a piss, the whole bag has rotated 180° and where is that zip....

csurfleet

• menacing presence
I've got a survuval zone, but mostly use it with a really small tarp just big enough to keep rain off my head - I can't handle sleeping inside the bivvy bag and anyway one of the best parts of the experience is waking up to the view.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal