UKBouldering.com

Online storage and backup (Read 1199 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Online storage and backup
June 06, 2011, 01:04:41 pm
Thinking of setting up offsite backup with Mozy/Carbonite or similar? Anyone got experience of either or alternative? I know they have been mentioned in recent threads.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Online storage and backup
June 06, 2011, 03:39:10 pm
Ive used both carbonite and Mozy over the last 4 years.

Carbonite is a bit simpler ui and slightly less configurable. I used them for two years fine, but it wouldn't work through works firewall. Mozy somehow does so I switched to them.

I renewed with Mozy earlier this year, I think a week before they removed their unlimited package which was £110 for two years.. This may have changed either way since then.

Theyre both easy to use and work really well. Both now have web and smartphone apps to access your files too. I think the main operational difference s that carbonate was always backing things up (when low CPU usage etc..) whereas with Mozy you can set it to back up say every few hours..

Both take ages to back things up to start with unless you get onto a fast connection for upload (I did mine at 50mbps at work!) but after that it's fine. Just sits in e background and does the business. I thoroughly recommend either.

Happy to answer any other q's.. Both have free trials iirc, so maybe try both and see which you prefer?

Tt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal