UKBouldering.com

Accessible, child friendly Lakeland Blocage (Read 14699 times)

T_B

• forum hero
I'm off to the Lakes next week en famile with 9 week old baby, staying just north in the Eden Valley.

I'm assuming Carrock Fell is not v child friendly?

We'll most likely go to the Bowderstone, and might venture south to Kentmere.

Anywhere else (don't say Armathwaite.. or maybe there's some amazing secret Eden valley bouldering venue somewhere - Tim?)

Thanks

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
Carrock should be ok for stuff close to road?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Langdale? Close to road, grassy, small area.

Would pebble beach south bit of St Bees be any good for nippers? Have thought about it as an option too, so be intrigued to know.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Not exactly Lakes but both Goldborough Carr and Windmore (highball limestone micro routes)with very flat landing and topout are fairly close to your location.
Haven't been there but it sounds like Tilberthwaite might be suitable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
Langdale and Kentmere both good (watch out for Bull in the badger rock field at Kentmere - well it was there last time I was...). Parking can be an issue at Kentmere at weekends and busy times..

SA Chris

• forum hero
Just seen where it is from JB's link, isn't there a lot of the Southern Lakes stuff on lakesbloc around there?

http://www.lakesbloc.com/crags-by-map.html

St Bees might be a bit of a haul!

T_B

• forum hero
Would pebble beach south bit of St Bees be any good for nippers? Have thought about it as an option too, so be intrigued to know.

Access is the issue at St Bees. Death approach.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
Another vote for Langdale boulders.

T_B

• forum hero
Not exactly Lakes but both Goldborough Carr and Windmore (highball limestone micro routes)with very flat landing and topout are fairly close to your location.

A66 esoterica - nice. Good tips!

T_B

• forum hero
Another vote for Langdale boulders.

Yeah, perfect for kiddies but it would be a mission driving all that way from Eden Valley.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You saw this photo right? http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=51932

Actually no, I used to climb there when I lived in Cumbria. Nothing desperate, but few nicer spots for an evenings' soloing/ picnic scene. Should be handy if your based in the Eden valley. Jackdaw Scar is another nice little spot close by. Never went to Armathwaite but parts of that look pretty pleasant too.

Or if you're really jonesing for the grit head up Lops Wath.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Access is the issue at St Bees. Death approach.

I thought that was only for the North bit. Fleswick Bay is the bit I was thinking of, but I think S St Bees is a bit easier to get to too.

tc

• junky
Carrock's fine if you stick to the stuff close to the road and the three main boulders at the North end. Gimme a bell if you head there and I'll come and say hello.

or maybe there's some amazing secret Eden valley bouldering venue somewhere - Tim?)

That'll be Scratchmere Scar, The Hoff (nice) or Cumrew Crag then.

Stabbsy

• junky
There's a few other bits of St. Bees that are worth checking out. The old bit (St. Bees North) has a death descent, but there's all the new stuff at St. Bees South plus Fleswick Bay. Worth checking out Greg's topos to see how bad the approach is as I haven't made it there yet.

Some bits of Carrock would be OK (Boardman's Boulder and the roadside stuff). Goldsborough would be be really reachable from the Eden Valley, but it can get a bit wild up there if there's any wind. Trowbarrow and bits of Woodwell would be OK as well.

T_B

• forum hero
That'll be Scratchmere Scar, The Hoff (nice) or Cumrew Crag then.

Hmm, interesting. Are they in any guidebooks? I remember the Hoff was in that old North of England guide...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You won't need a guide for The Hoff, assuming you can find it with UKC and a road atlas. The bits between the cracks are harder than the cracks, but you'll struggle to find a 6a move.

tc

• junky
Just checked on the Hoff situation:
"Currently banned year round by the landowner. Negotiations are ongoing - any climbing that takes place whilst the ban is in force is likely to antagonise the access situation."

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Oops, I meant Trowbarrow rather than Tilberthwaite.

mattrm

Eskdale Fisherground?  I was there the other week and parts of it seemed like they'd be ok for kids.  Nice short walk as well.

lemony

• player
Gelt Boulder, naturally!

lemony

• player
p.s. I wouldn't call scratchmere scar bouldering or child friendly. Cumrew Crag is shite.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
Since you're taking a little'un it's worth knowing that Badger Rock is surrounded by sheep and their squishy crud at the moment, little font is cleaner underfoot though. St Bees (South Head and Fleswick) are 1hr from Penrith and baby friendly, although I think South Head is bird banned at the moment. Windmore End (lime) and Goldsborough Carr (grit) are 45 min from Penrith but as mentioned are exposed to any weather. I'd vote Langdale boulders for best baby-friendliness with problem quality. Scratchmere is now un-banned again but the bouldering http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,7063.msg102862.html#msg102862 is limited. Armathwaite is a midge-fest at this time of year. Northern Carrock Fell would suit as others have said. Enjoy!

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Brant Fell is easy to get to, great view and given the relatively small height, child friendly - would that qualify?  :shrug: - not loads of problems but enough for a day and the traverse is fun

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal