UKBouldering.com

Quality Caterers in Sheffield (Read 8165 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 29, 2011, 08:50:53 pm
To cut to the chase, me and one of UKB's moderators are finally getting married after 17 years together....
We don't want your classic 'wedding breakfast' - even the expression makes me feel a little jaded. No - in the absence of any of our favourite restaurants (Marco at Milano, for example) wanting to cater for our nearest and dearest on a Saturday lunchtime, we have found a 'venue' (cowshed) of our own, but would like recommendations for somebody who could prepare a nice lunch for our families. We don't really want your standard buffet fare, but a proper couple of courses of good food. Anybody got any good recomendations for caterers who might be able to help us out?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 29, 2011, 09:03:00 pm
Congratulations to you and Bubba.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 29, 2011, 09:16:37 pm
Thanks Chris! I'm so happy that Percy is finally making an honest man of me  ;D

Dolly

• forum hero
#3 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 29, 2011, 11:36:25 pm
Congratlutions to you both  (assuming its Lucy)
Have a look at http://www.cococatering.org.uk/
Might be exactly what you want. Really nice people as well as great food

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 30, 2011, 08:48:52 am

Glad you are happy, you really belong together.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 30, 2011, 11:39:37 am

I'm Getting all weepy at the thought ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 30, 2011, 11:43:38 am
Not as weepy as Percy and Bubba are at the thought.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 30, 2011, 12:01:06 pm
who's the giver and who's the taker tho?

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 31, 2011, 08:01:58 pm
Thanks, Dolly. And yes, of course it's me - who else would put up with him? ::)

Coco looked great but are booked up that weekend, as are Hazel's. Anyone know anything about this lot? http://www.pjtaste.co.uk/index.htm

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 31, 2011, 08:28:45 pm
They're meant to do good coffee, I know thats not entirely useful but its a good start.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 31, 2011, 09:41:45 pm
 :lol: That will do, at least it will keep us awake. It might even cover the stench of cow poo - no, it really is a cowshed!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
May 31, 2011, 11:28:32 pm
What about Jonty? His Cafe is top notch. Says he does 'catered events'.
http://www.madebyjonty.co.uk/

joe cook

#12 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 01, 2011, 06:10:58 pm
try Cafe Juniper. Its a new place on Bank Street run by the two girls who ran the cafe at the Foundry last year. Their food is really good and they're really nice girls!

Contact Kylie/Jen if you're interested by emailing juniper@bankstreetarts.com

fatkid2000

• junky
#13 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 06, 2011, 03:38:38 pm
Not sure if you've sorted this yet - we had a similar issue 3 years ago.

Anyway we manged to persuade Vincenzo - who is Marco of Milano's brother to do out wedding food. HE owns Cafe Buon deli in Broomhill.  The food was fantastic - he and his wife did the whole bash. ASk Fatdoc - he rolled out. We even had left overs for about 40 the next day. It was the best food I've had at a wedding and having been to about 20 over the past 3-4 years have reasonable knowledge.

I'm not sure if they have done further weddings - but it may be worth an enquiry.
I think his food is as good as Milano's but he just does not have the city wide reputation. 

I have to admit we really struggled to get anybody good in Sheffield - we sampled some utter shockers which I've forgotten.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 08, 2011, 09:12:35 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.

We're struggling to find good ones that aren't booked up; I think we may now go to Fischers at Baslow Hall. Although, being from Yorkshire I am struggling a little with this. I checked out their website and to have a private 3 course dinner in a lovely room costs £45 per head. After picking myself up off the floor, and realising we will have to ebay the kids, I came round to the idea. Unfortunately, when I phoned to potentially reserve our date I accidentally mentioned the 'W' word. I was informed that they have to send me the 'Wedding Brochure' to look through, even though we don't want to do anything other than eat lunch there. Yes, I had inferred correctly that this was going to cost substantially more than the price advertised on the website for a private lunch.  :ohmy:

Why did I not say it was for a joint 40th birthday party? Why?

If I were to book another venue for a birthday party, then turn up in a wedding dress saying we decided to get married as well, what does the collective wisdom of UKB think the outcome would be? Would they all spit in our soup? Refuse to let us in? Give us a bill for wedding prices anyway? Your thoughts please....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 08, 2011, 10:12:34 pm
I think it would depend on the venue, most hotels etc sniff the W word a mile away, add a few trimmings and double or triple the price. Think they would get pretty arsey if you tried to pull the wool. However independents might be different, if you said you truly wanted their basic service they might be open to it, last thing you want is the staff being awkward or unhelpful on the day, spoiling the atmosphere.

What about approaching one of the Peak pubs with good food reputation and see what they say?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#16 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 08, 2011, 10:18:20 pm

I'm Getting all weepy at the thought ;)

I just vomited...

seriously Perc.... nice one!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#17 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 08, 2011, 10:19:41 pm
Not sure if you've sorted this yet - we had a similar issue 3 years ago.

Anyway we manged to persuade Vincenzo - who is Marco of Milano's brother to do out wedding food. HE owns Cafe Buon deli in Broomhill.  The food was fantastic - he and his wife did the whole bash. ASk Fatdoc - he rolled out. We even had left overs for about 40 the next day. It was the best food I've had at a wedding and having been to about 20 over the past 3-4 years have reasonable knowledge.

I'm not sure if they have done further weddings - but it may be worth an enquiry.
I think his food is as good as Milano's but he just does not have the city wide reputation. 

I have to admit we really struggled to get anybody good in Sheffield - we sampled some utter shockers which I've forgotten.

now that WAS a great event... I endorse this totally

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 08, 2011, 10:21:12 pm
I'd be straight up with them and ask what extra you get for the wedding price over the birthday deal. If they can't explain the extra cost then I'd tell them where to go. If the extra bits and peices that come with the wedding deal are not worth the extra £££'s then say, can I have the birthday rates please.. if they refuse they're swindlers - walk away....
     I can't see that it would hurt to talk about it with them - after all they're trying to get business, and whilst they're trying to make a £££ they still want your business - unless they're wankers. In which case walk away!!

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 11, 2011, 03:40:29 pm
Tomtom, that worked a treat! We had a very amusing conversation where we both ended up laughing so much we couldn't talk. She said she would talk to the owner, got back to me a couple of days later saying they would do the private party rates (subject to a minimum spend, which means we're going to have to go all out on the booze  :alky:). A very reasonable compromise.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Quality Caterers in Sheffield
June 11, 2011, 09:46:39 pm
Excellent, glad it worked out :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal