UKBouldering.com

general conditions on grit in yorkshire (Read 4994 times)

simon40

• player
  • Sport climber, too weak to boulder
general conditions on grit in yorkshire
May 28, 2011, 08:50:04 am
Hello

We are heading up to Otley way tommorow to boulder. Does anyone know the possible conditions for Caley/Almscliff areas please. Also any local knowledge to where there are those 'ever dry' crags would be much appreciated.

Lastly a good local cafe for breakfast.........

Many Thanks

account_inactive

• forum hero
Generally hot and wet.  Otley bikers cafe is good though

tomtom

• forum hero
almscliff was in surprisingly good nic on wednesday night but since then who knows...

The Bridge St cafe in Oltey is a good place if it rains. I still think its impossible to eat £5 worth of food from there. The most ive managed is £3.75 then i was stuffed.

account_inactive

• forum hero
The Bridge St cafe in Oltey is a good place if it rains. I still think its impossible to eat £5 worth of food from there. The most ive managed is £3.75 then i was stuffed.

That was the place I was thinking of.  Dobbin ate £22 worth of breakfast there once!

tomtom

• forum hero
Thats impossible...

Even for el-Dobonio..

the 'new' breakfast there (about 2-3 years on the menu) is top for lardo-loading. Bacon eggs, sausage, beans, chips, tomato and a slice of fried spam for £3.. (no tea included unlike the regualr brekky). I recon the £5 challenge is possible if you start with a bacon and suasage roll (1.25) follwed by a regular breakfast (£3) and sponge pudding and custard (75p). The killer is the two slices of bread and butter that come with the breakfast... Just when you think youve made it...

Tom de Gay

• stalker
Also any local knowledge to where there are those 'ever dry' crags would be much appreciated.
Henry Price, for one of longest traverses on grit
or the back of the Calf at Ilkley, which can stand up to a bit of drizzle
or Malham if you have a rope and endurance

Stubbs

Joker's wall at Brimham is pretty much perma dry too.

Dunny's cafe (bridge street cafe) is amazing, I used to live 50 metres from it, going in on midweek morning is an education!

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
I was at the cliff yesterday, very windy and all dry. Didn't feel too greasy either. Will be going up again today probably this eve. Havn't been to Caley since it rained thursday

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Need a venue for bouldering tomorrow with a decent spread of grades that won't be piss wrapped from seepage or inaccessible due to snow on the roads. Any ideas other than Almscliff, anyone?

andy_e

• forum hero
Roads to Brimham are fine apparently according to NT Brimham Rocks facebook page.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Nice one. Was thinking Brimham might be a good bet. I'll be headed there.

andy_e

• forum hero
Do you happen to have any caley knowledge will?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Afraid not. I remember a couple of years ago when the snow was bad that some of the walls there were completely plastered. Maybe best checking what way the wind was blowing when the big dump happened and making a judgement based on that.

spacemonkeys9

Considering Ilkley or Almscliff tomorrow for routes, is it worth the drive up or find something local? Looking to try some different venues than Western/Eastern Grit Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal