UKBouldering.com

Anyone for Tennis? (Read 33111 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 02:19:27 pm

Anyone else enjoying the French open/gives a shit about tennis?

I'm strating to think Fed might be the one this year. Everyone's talking about Djokovic, Nadal isn't the force he used to be, our media os as ever Murray obsessed and Fed seems to have stayed low on everyone's radar. It'd be nice to see him win it when Nadal was in the tourmement, put the naysayers to rest.

The women's draw is all over the place. Kim out in a shocking display yesterday, Stoser today. Seems like the stage is being set for a "surprise" winner again.

Quite a tasty (viually and tennis-wise) match on Lenglen at the moment. If only I could watch it!

Dolly

• forum hero
#1 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 02:29:46 pm
Yes and yes.
I never used to care but now I have a tennis obsessed son so have got a lot more into it.
I think its like a lot of sports in that respect - ie if you know a little more about it, then you can appreciate and enjoy seeing the best in the world playing at the top of their game (or an 11 year old ranked 77th best in Yorkshire for that matter)

I can't see anyone apart from Djokovic winning TBH. Did you see him in Rome against Nadal ?
Murray just isn't good enough - he plays too many poor, short shots in the centre of the court for me.

Am watching the women's match @ work ATM :)

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 02:32:32 pm
What the hell is going on with Wozniacki at the moment? Shes getting killed out there.

galpinos

• forum hero
#3 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 03:15:36 pm
What the hell is going on with Wozniacki at the moment? Shes getting killed out there.

Another favourite bites the dust/clay. Bonkers. A lot of the top women seem a bit fragile at the moment.

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 08:20:55 pm
Yes and yes.
I never used to care but now I have a tennis  :tease:obsessed son so have got a lot more into it.
I think its like a lot of sports in that respect - ie if you know a little more about it, then you can appreciate and enjoy seeing the best

in the world playing at the top of their game (or an 11 year old ranked 77th best in Yorkshire for that matter)

I can't see anyone apart from Djokovic winning TBH. Did you see him in Rome against Nadal ?
Murray just isn't good enough - he plays too many poor, short shots in the centre of the court for me.

Am watching the women's match @ work ATM :)

Still fancy Novak? Looking.a little mentally fragile, panicky drop shots when his ground shots are on fire.

Dolly

• forum hero
#5 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 08:29:09 pm
Mmm. Its going to make an interesting match tomorrow now

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 27, 2011, 09:10:33 pm
Still fancy Novak? Looking.a little mentally fragile, panicky drop shots when his ground shots are on fire.

He was down and out in the semi against Murray in Madrid but still won, absolute classic match that.  JDP is a big test too, been out injured a long time so his ranking doesn't reflect his ability.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 31, 2011, 02:46:45 pm
good work from muzzle today, looked like he'd blown it at 2-5 but pulled it back from the brink.  about time he took advantage of a fench open draw openng up for him, let's hope he can grind out another win and set up a semi.with soderling (or nadal)

Dolly

• forum hero
#8 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
May 31, 2011, 03:00:55 pm
He seemed to play much more aggressively when his back was against the wall - as he did in the third and fourth sets yesterday.
He's frustrating to watch sometimes isn't he ?
Great winner though, I thought he'd blown the point by then.

Dolly

• forum hero
#9 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 03:55:03 pm
He's doing that thing again - getting a couple of breaks down before he starts playing to win.
I'm no sports psychologist but surely he can see a pattern here ?

galpinos

• forum hero
#10 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 04:16:55 pm

He's so frustrating to watch. If he'd just go after the points a bit, instead of patting it back all the time, I reckon he'd be up there. I'm still backing Fed despite that weird performance yesterday.

Really enjoyed Schiavone's win yesterday. She's a proper clay court player and a proper fighter!

All this watching tennis has inspired me for my match tomorrow against Sale 'B'. A win and promotion will be ours (if I manage to not choke on every vital point)!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#11 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:11:19 pm
and there's the usual Murray i've-got-this-all-under-control-i'll-just-switch-off-for-a-moment-and oh shit from coating at 2-5 I'm 5-5  :wall:

galpinos

• forum hero
#12 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:13:59 pm

I was just about to post the same. Why oh why can't he just win comfortably in straight sets for once.

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:16:07 pm
 :agree: Typical

galpinos

• forum hero
#14 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:25:55 pm

Finally! Chela looks mentally broken, he's probably caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and realised his tan makes him look like some "Chesire Posh" lass on a night out in Deansgate Locks. Classy....

Dolly

• forum hero
#15 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:28:24 pm
Nice image...don't speak too soon though. Deuce on Murray's service game

galpinos

• forum hero
#16 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 01, 2011, 05:34:08 pm

At two love hopefully he can close it out.

What gets me is.......

If I was a pro tennis player and was up against Fed, Rafa or Djoc if I got broken, I'd be thinking, "uh oh, I think I've lost this set" and could easily see the set run away from me but against Murray, I'd be thinking, "there's a chance he's mentally crash or lose concentration, I'm still in this set". His erratic nature and inability to get more than half his first serves in must make him a less intimidating opponent.

Obviously with my devilish serve, crushing forehand and tricky backhand I'm an intimidating figure on the tennis courts of the South West Manchester League Division 3!

galpinos

• forum hero
#17 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 04:26:16 pm
A whole week of Wimbledon and no comments?

Men – Really enjoying Fed at the moment, looking on really good form. Didn’t watch it but Murray must have been on good form to take Gasquet in straight sets, coke or no coke, the Frenchman is a class act. Nadal looked beatable when playing Muller but as ever, always seems to find an extra level to finish off. I was in hysterics watching Novak trying to smash his racket, pure frustration. He doesn’t seem to be quite there at the moment.

Women - With one Williams out and the other not looking too good it must be time for the lovely Maria to screech her way to victory, galloping around the court, limbs everywhere doing a remarkable impression of Bambi on ice? I’m not a fan of Bartoli and Pironkova is a bit of a nothing player so that leaves Wozniaki, who seems to be going well but we’ll see if she can shake the curse of the 1# Ranking!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#18 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 05:36:04 pm
Women - ...it must be time for the lovely Maria to screech her way to victory....

You are Roy Hobbs from Hatfield and I claim my five pounds.  ;) The draw has opened up well for Maria though but would love to see Lisicki go all the way (think they could meet in the final).

Murray looked pretty good from what i saw of the first two sets today  - haven't seen much of Fed but when I have he has looked imperious. Nadal, by all accounts is playing well (again seen very little of him play) but Del Potro seems to be giving him a bit of a test at the minute.

Novak smashing up his racquet is probably my second favourite moment of the tournament at the minute (after Lisicki winning last Friday or Saturday).

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 05:41:51 pm
You'd have to bet on Sharapova taking the title now, with Wozniaki crashing out earlier. However Azarenka is looking solid and one to watch for sure. And not forgetting Lisicki either!
As for the men its a tough one with all the top four looking to be in cruise mode, with the exception of Novak yesterday! Murray was incredible today too so who knows, it could for anyones taking.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#20 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 06:06:12 pm
Nail biter for the first set at the moment between Nadal and Del Potro.  The racket smashing on Saturday was awesome, even Baghawotsit was in hysterics.

Great tournament so far.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#21 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 06:14:49 pm
Looks as if it going to get even more nail biting FD - Nadal has the trainer on court for an injury.

As for the racquet smashing - Novak was absolutely steaming and you just knew it was going to happen - the only doubt was when...

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 27, 2011, 06:45:12 pm
So Rafa just edges his tiebreak while Fed loses his... Anything could happen now, specially with the injury of Nadals too.

galpinos

• forum hero
#23 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 28, 2011, 08:23:51 am
Felt for Del Potro in the first set tie break, he seemed flustered by the delay and looked to me to be trying to play Nadal’s injury, not the point. He seemed to ditch his game plan and try to make Nadal play out wide on his forehand. Interesting to see only two breaks of serve in the match, one for each player. Nadal can still win the big points it seems.

Murray was in great form. Weathered the storm when necessary produced some incredible tennis when necessary. Didn’t see any of Federer’s match but surprised he dropped a set.

I’d expect a Nadal/Murray semi on one side. On the other, I’d love to see Tomic get to a semi. Federer might struggle against Tsonga but I’m going for Federer/Tomic.

In the ladies, I’m a bit gutted to see the Williams go out so early. They are proper athletes, proper sportswomen who don’t buckle under pressure (I’m a bit fed up of the ladies having mini breakdowns on court) and great ambassadors for the sport.

I’ll go for Sharapova/Lisicki (I’m not a fan of her but prefer her to Bartoli) and Azarenka/Kvitova.

All the above is the informed opinion of….

Roy Hobbs (aka galpinos)

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 28, 2011, 10:29:28 pm
I still think Azarenka is quite possibly the one who has the best chance of beating Sherapova but all them women played so well today its incredibly hard to choose between them.
Anyway lets see what Murray can do tomorrow!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal