UKBouldering.com

video editing: "lightworks" (Read 4744 times)

DubDom

• menacing presence
video editing: "lightworks"
May 24, 2011, 08:42:41 pm
Hi all

anyone using this: http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

looks good.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 25, 2011, 11:10:33 am
Had a quick play with this last night, first impressions look pretty good, high end but still pretty easy to use. I like the price.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#2 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 25, 2011, 09:37:02 pm
Yup this is the daddy of non linear editing systems, one of the early systems along with Avid back in the early 90's. Lots of big features and academy award winning editors have used it as their package of choice over the years . I thought it had died a death since I hadn't seen a lightworks system since about 1995, so it's great to see it coming back with a vengeance. Beats Premiere, vegas and my FCP into a cocked hat, if its good enough for Scorcese....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 25, 2011, 11:05:35 pm
It's and interesting time for the high end NLE market, what with FCPX dropping in price from $999 to $300 and this going open source/free, will be interesting to see what effect if any it has on big players like Adobe. My bro who uses PremPro CS5 for work says the Beeb has recently moved to Adobe and the latest incarnation is really impressive especially used with some Cuda hardware stuff so he can't see Adobe being too bothered about losing market share.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 29, 2011, 12:02:31 am
Beats Premiere, vegas and my FCP into a cocked hat

in what way?

not being a cunt, but would like to know how it is better

(already downloaded and trying to do stuff)

DubDom

• menacing presence
#5 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 29, 2011, 09:19:55 am
colour corrector, 3d stereo support, resolution independent, fewer keystrokes per edit good fine cutting. Developed by contributions from some of the best editors in the business (if it's good enough for scorcese then it's good enough....) - so very good for intensive jobs.

'course you still need to know how to edit. There are different ways to drive a NLE editor (usually the drag and drop way then the quick way) so it might not suit everyone, but if you want to use its full featureset, you'll appreciate it. All these programmes are very powerful so first impressions can be a bit misleading

Beats Premiere, vegas and my FCP into a cocked hat

in what way?

not being a cunt, but would like to know how it is better

(already downloaded and trying to do stuff)

maybe in that case you don't need it.   

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 31, 2011, 04:52:54 pm
But not for Mac...?  Grrr...

I've been demoing PremierePro CS5 which seems great (though I know next to nothing about video editing), but £560 ex VAT is pretty steep.

I hadn't heard about the new Final Cut - is that a much cheaper option now?  Can't seem to find any pricing for it on the apple store, but $300 sounds amazing in comparison to the above...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 31, 2011, 05:37:25 pm
I hadn't heard about the new Final Cut - is that a much cheaper option now?  Can't seem to find any pricing for it on the apple store, but $300 sounds amazing in comparison to the above...

Announced recently at one of their Fan-boi events to much oooing and ahhing. Available on the App Store sometime in June, $299 sounds good but in fact what they have done is un-bundled the FCP studio so for pros who use all of it they will still need to buy more, jury is still out if it is 'dumbed' down to iMovie-Pro levels, some say not.

http://www.macworld.com/article/159202/2011/04/final_cut_pro_x_blog.html
http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/332-welcome-to-the-new-final-cut-pro-x-on-the-app-store-in-june-for-299

DubDom

• menacing presence
#8 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
May 31, 2011, 11:45:42 pm
The new fcp looks good, lightworks will be available for mac later in the year (if they hit target!!)

The fact that it doesn't bundle any more might be a good thing - we'll have to see what they do with the rest of the studio suite.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
June 01, 2011, 11:33:13 pm
On the subject of high level 'free' software anyone used Blender? Pretty impressive 3D modelling and animation tool.
http://www.blender.org/

DubDom

• menacing presence
#10 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
June 22, 2011, 12:50:32 am
new final cut is released and it looks like it's a complete dog.

looks like I'm getting a PC next....

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: video editing: "lightworks"
April 10, 2012, 12:37:18 pm
Did anybody on here persist with Lightworks? I'm currently getting pretty fed up with Vegas and the way you make and implement masks (removing an ever present photographer bouncing around on a rope).

(I guess I could just go away and use Photoshop CS6  :slap: )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal