UKBouldering.com

System board type symmetrical board setup (Read 6605 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Hi,
           my board has long needed some serious thought put into it so i can utilize it seriously for some strength/steepness training.  due to the height of my garage it had no option but to be a set up with two 1220 x 2440 plywood boards landscape with another board cutinto a triangle so it can fit into the apex of the roof.  The angle is 55 degrees. :o

Now i have quite a few juggy resin hold plus a set of HIT strips. but im wanting to set it up in a similar situation one of those beastmaker 50degree boards like they have at rockover in manchester and other such walls. probably be keen to put larger footholds initially. but i was wondering if anyone had any pictures or plans of how to get started in positioning the holds as im a bit at a loss as to where to start in terms of doing it correctly.  i'll be making/buying some wood for the setup.

i thought if people do things similar to sticking the holds on with an adhesive whilst they are designing it and then screw them in once it looks like they have it correct? as i could im agine totally wrecking the board if i just start screwing the holds on and moving them around infinately until they make some kind of sense?

Cheers
Tim

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

douglas

• obsessive maniac

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
cheers for the links
,useful for ideas on training but looking more for a template of hold shape/ position.  Anyone got any pictures or links to  system boards did a google and none the wiser.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
cheers for the links
,useful for ideas on training but looking more for a template of hold shape/ position.  Anyone got any pictures or links to  system boards did a google and none the wiser.

Did you read this?

(This thread should probably be in the Board Construction FAQ sub-forum).

Nick S

Anyone got any pictures or links to  system boards did a google and none the wiser.

http://www.powercompanyclimbing.com/2010/12/reader-questions-system-boarding-for.html

This the sort of thing you are after?

the mirror board/systems wall combo looks amazing. 

chriss

• obsessive maniac
We have a 45 board like the last link, so you have the same problem, but mirrored. It hi lights weaknesses well in that you can often flash the left side & session the exact problem on the right. We got lots of holds from Core Climbing & made some from wood.

It's a good system & we all love it.

Vitamin K

• addict
Hey Tim - I would recommend getting yourself some system tiles. You may recall seeing some on the plywood at Broughton - these were/are mine and I reclaimed them when I saw that the system board wasn't going to be reinstated anytime soon.

I'm back using my tiles at the moment having stripped all the other holds off my home board (not as steep as yours but you can have too steep an angle for systems work). The reason I've set it up like this is that I've had a lay-off and needed to build the foundation again. I'm supplementing this with some beastmaker session too.

Tiles are the way to go and give loads of options given that you can rotate the holds and cover everything you need, including pinches.

Just pm me if you need more detail.

Vitamin K

• addict
Sorry Tim - should have said that my tiles were from Pusher. They still make a version and other companies will too, just have a look around and I'm sure you will find what you need.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Drill your ply, and use t-nuts.  You need to sort out the receptor threads obviously.  The best bet this, and you can drill your wooden holds to accept t-nuts as well.  simple as. 

Screw on your footholds and smaller crimps and all that.

Paul B

• forum hero
Sorry Tim - should have said that my tiles were from Pusher. They still make a version and other companies will too, just have a look around and I'm sure you will find what you need.

do yours have any texture?

There was always an old red one at the school which worked great as a fingerboard (the comfiest mono's ever) but it was like crimping on slippy plastic when bolted onto a wall. There were some more basic pusher offerings that were rougher but these were fairly limitied and ended up being used mainly as jugs for lock-offs etc.

I know one forum regular molded the larger tile and made a few for himself but once again the texture was an issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal