UKBouldering.com

Lunnun? (Read 3609 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Lunnun?
May 17, 2011, 07:18:12 pm
Due to pressing family business I will be in .uk for a short visit in a couple of weeks, the beginning of which involves flying to Heathrow on a Monday morning and taking the train out of London again on Monday evening.

So: which London wall (a) has decent bouldering? (b) is easily accessible by public transport en route between Heathrow & St Pancras? (c) has not too onerous fees or red tape for one-off casual visitors?

Alo, I want one of these new Rab Boreas tops because they look ideal for Alpine multipitch rock, but the prices being asked for them in Germany are ridiculous. Are there any decent gear shops in London these days that would be likely to have them in stock?

Stubbs

#1 Re: Lunnun?
May 17, 2011, 07:58:37 pm
The Westway is directly between Heathrow and St Pancras, th bouldering there is pretty good now they've built a big new bit out the back.  I can't remember how onerous or expensive a single sesh is but their website should help http://www.westwaysportscentre.org.uk/climbing/  there's an Urban Rock there, but I don't think they stock Rab. 

Cotswold Outdoor do the top you're looking for http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/dep/browse-by-brand/cat/rab/fuseaction/products.list/group/79/level/2  for 40 notes.  The nearest one to your journey is Holborn, about 10 mins walk from St Pancras 22 High Holborn London WC1V 6BN 020 7242 7670

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Lunnun?
May 17, 2011, 08:03:10 pm
The Westway (£10 to get in, free but tiresome registration) is en-route, mostly routes but some good bouldering.  The Arch (£10) and Mile End (£7+£5 registration) are both another 20mins on from St Pancras/King's Cross, both are very good dedicated bouldering centres.

PM me if you decide on The Arch.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Lunnun?
May 17, 2011, 08:14:10 pm
The nearest one to your journey is Holborn, about 10 mins walk from St Pancras

... thus tying in perfectly with the obligatory stop to pick up a bag of freshly roasted at the Monmouth Coffee Shop. Thanks for the tips.

(I used to go to Mile End circa 1990. Might call them and ask if my registration is still valid)

Stubbs

#4 Re: Lunnun?
May 17, 2011, 08:43:56 pm
BOOM

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal