UKBouldering.com

Nottingham Climbing Wall (Read 6883 times)

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
Nottingham Climbing Wall
May 17, 2011, 09:54:03 am
hi, i was just wondering what the new nottingham climbing centre is like, as i am due to start at the university at the end of september. just wondering what type of facilities it has? for example is there a campus board or circuit board there? what are the problems and routes like?
thanks a lot,
george

chris05

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
May 17, 2011, 10:11:29 am
There isn't a campus or circuit board at the minute, although I assume they are going to be putting them back up at some point. There are a couple of fingerboards and there were rock rings although they had been taken down at the weekend. The centre is a work in progress but there's plenty to go at.

Problems seem quite good, cant comment on routes. For updates probably worth finding them on Facebook.

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
#2 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
May 17, 2011, 10:17:08 am
There isn't a campus or circuit board at the minute, although I assume they are going to be putting them back up at some point. There are a couple of fingerboards and there were rock rings although they had been taken down at the weekend. The centre is a work in progress but there's plenty to go at.

Problems seem quite good, cant comment on routes. For updates probably worth finding them on Facebook.

cool, thanks for the info!

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#3 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
May 18, 2011, 05:00:12 pm
Keep asking about campus boards etc: the more who ask the more the pressure there will be to do this faster. Fingerboards and pull up bars are hidden in the bouldering area round the back. The rings are usually there but someone ripped a bicep on them recently (get well soon Jamie).

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
#4 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
May 18, 2011, 08:45:21 pm
yeh, just sent them an email asking about it, it would be good if they could get a campus or training board before i start uni, need to keep up the training...

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#5 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
July 01, 2011, 02:09:57 pm
Still no board  :wavecry:

The two boards and pull up bar are useful but no substitute

Last time I asked (April/May) I got a vague 'yes we intend to put the old cellar boards back up but at the moment we are devoting time/money elsewhere' answer - not entirely sure where they would put them now to be honest as most space seems utilised ???  :doubt:

Agree around problems but some are not being changed very regularly - back slab and panels have been the same for a few months or so, the rest get refreshed regularly - bound to have changed them yesterday now I've written this!

Good shout on keep asking though  :agree:

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
July 01, 2011, 02:19:41 pm
bound to have changed them yesterday now I've written this!
Indeed I believe/know all the back corridor problems have been changed in the last week or so, it is now the main room problems that are ripe for refreshing.  I don't think the frequency of setting is too bad, though it certainly slows down in the Summer.

I think there is still plenty of room for the cellar boards, next to the pull up bar (or move this) in whatever the upstairs room is, there is another upstairs area above the group room and there is a fully equipped gym room which is currently completely unused.

I am not expecting any fast movement on this though as Dan is injured, and several of the other, more committed climbers/training people are also injured/climbing!

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#7 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
July 10, 2011, 10:45:41 pm
sidewinder is right, now that Dan is injured there seems to be a lull in the new routes sector. There seems to be a lack of skilled setters who are keen to give up their time in the Summer months. There are still some good hard problems though and enough for the hard climbers to go at. You may need to be creative tho...

There is a room at the back of the centre where the long term aim is to develop into a traing room including putting the old woody up and camps boards. Always a good idea to keep mentioning it though to let them know there is a need.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#8 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
July 14, 2011, 09:40:29 am
bound to have changed them yesterday now I've written this!
Indeed I believe/know all the back corridor problems have been changed in the last week or so,

When I was down on the 5th the yellow back wall had been changed but the slabs and panels were the same as they have been for some time, also there was no indication of the grades for the yellow wall probs last week which makes for interesting times and I had to guess and lie massively about what I was being spanked by to record in my training log ...   ::)

Looks like an indoor sesh is on the cards again this w/e as the weather in the Peak looks shite  :furious:

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Nottingham Climbing Wall
July 14, 2011, 10:08:46 am
I had to guess and lie massively about what I was being spanked by to record in my training log

A few new ones have gone up in the main room, unfortunately only one hard one, which is very hard, so that leaves me still repeatedly failing on a few through the stepped overhang.  I am treating this as a learning experience in how to have a long term redpoint.  If you bring take a rope there are actually quite a few good problems on the lead walls, most of which climb very much like boulder problems anyway.  The other issue at the moment is that it's a bit warm and the fans have decided to fail, apparently this is being sorted soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal