UKBouldering.com

tendon tweak ice/heat? (Read 2904 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 14, 2011, 09:00:10 pm
so whilst fingerboarding earlier I felt me tendon feel a bit tweaky but then after washing my hands (warming the tendon up) it felt fine so I was wondering if a more serious injury occured would ice or warm water be better? My two lines of thinking are a) ice helps stop swelling but constrict the tendon (rubber band in cold idea) conversely b) warmth would help the elasticity of the tendon but wouldnt help swelling......
.....any thoughts anyone or even some SCIENCE

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 14, 2011, 09:00:56 pm
dont use heat on early injuries

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 15, 2011, 01:14:12 am
Tape it up (when climbing) and dont do exactly the same exercise.. my index finger felt a bit tweaky after an earlier visit to Rubicon - I went back on friday and it was fine on all but one hold on one problem (which I suspect was where I tweaked it) - I just walked away and did something different.. feeling better now..
It'll probably be fine..

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 15, 2011, 01:41:13 am
wasnt so much worried for the current tweak as its feels fine now it was more a general wonderment as to the benefits of ice vs. heat for tendons

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 15, 2011, 10:26:11 am
I've had conflicting advise from Physio's and Quacks over the years. It does seem that the prevailing school of thought, which has settled for the past few years; is that cooling is the best initial treatment (if applied soon enough). The reasons seem to be that reducing/preventing inflamation as early as possible, help prevent secondary tissue damage around the injury. After that, it depends who you ask. I've tried warming and cooling cycles, it didn't seem (to me) to help or shorten healing time. Now, rightly or wrongly, I find the best approach is to cool it straight away. Rest it for at least a day or two longer than it hurts, Volteren (topical for mild, oral for a bad one) and (I'm almost ashamed to say, as a hard headed engineer) Arnica, rubbed in once a day. I suspect the Arnica thing has more to do with the rubbing than the Arnica itself, who knows? Break it back in slowly, if you tweak it again, I find it takes much longer to heal. I usually keep up the stretching, extending to the point where I know it's about to hurt, not beyond and I find an increase in mobility/extension almost daily..

Topher

• regular
#5 Re: tendon tweak ice/heat?
May 15, 2011, 12:29:53 pm
When i tweaked my finger a month or so ago i read an article on submerged your hand in cold water for about half an hour, twice a day.

The body is fooled into protecting it self and sends the blood to it vital organs.

Then after 10 -15mins it realise all's ok and send the blood back to the extremities. This apparently give your tendons something like a 400% increase in blood supply and your hand starts to feel warm.

Keep your hand in the water for a futher 10mins or so.

Worked for me  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal