UKBouldering.com

UK Mini Road Trip beta (Read 1876 times)

chillax

• forum abuser
UK Mini Road Trip beta
May 10, 2011, 10:47:03 am
I think Paul B or someone may have started a thread like this last year, but I can't find it so thought I'd pop up a new one.

Basically, a planned trip to Yosemite for the end of the summer has bitten the dust so I've got three weeks holidays that I'm not sure what to do with. Thinking of going to the Verdon for a week at some point, but for the other two weeks I'm kind of tempted to wander round the UK for a bit as its close, cheap and I've not spent much time climbing over there. It'd also be nice to get some first hand experience of the crags I keep hearing ye rave on about, just so I can say with confidence that everythings rubbish compared to Fair Head  ;)

I've been to Pembroke a few times now and plan to head over for more weekends during the summer, so that ones off the list. Was thinking of starting off at Gogarth, heading over towards Sheffield, then travelling north to get the ferry back to Belfast from Stranraer. The questions:

Which would be the best trad crags to visit on the way? (myself and the gf are steady up to E2, get the odd E3, and hoping to push it to E4 by the end of the summer)
When would be the best time to head over weather wise? I'm thinking end of July/start of August.
Is it worth trying to climb grit trad in the middle of summer? Never climbed on the grit. It looks fun, but would it be frustrating in the warm?

Any and all advice welcome  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: UK Mini Road Trip beta
May 10, 2011, 12:23:45 pm
if I was you I would spend 2 weeks in N Wales, maybe venture out as far as the Peak and then back.

Alternatively Gogarth / Snowdonia - Peak or Yorkshire, Lakes and then if you have some time to kill / get rained off from the Lakes stop at some of the cragfs in Dumfries and Galloway. Big task to list individual crags though.

Re summer climbing on grit, if you get to some of the higher crags and aren't too bothered about the highest grades you can get a lot done. For example Yorkshire crags like Ilkley, Rylstone, Crookrise, Earl, and the Barden Moor "Seats" will be fine for some cragging in all but heatwaves.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: UK Mini Road Trip beta
May 10, 2011, 12:32:25 pm
Basically, a planned trip to Yosemite for the end of the summer has bitten the dust so I've got three weeks holidays that I'm not sure what to do with. Thinking of going to the Verdon for a week at some point,

This is exactly where I'm at right now. Yosemite is out, I'm going for 3 weeks in the Verdon, Sept/Oct time.

I think the post you were looking for is probably muddled in with all the pimp my rack posts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal