UKBouldering.com

I have never needed help from UKB more than now (Read 26570 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
just ordered a backup hard drive from Amazon. Paranoia set in.
Snap, just bought 2x 2TB drives and RAID'd them,  :ohmy:, although Amazon in brilliant fashion put them in minimal packaging so I'm amazed either one works.

Paul B

• forum hero
Thanks guys.
On the one hand, my head has been thinking, wow, that's three years of work down the drain + photos from Italy etc etc.

is there anything the university can/will do to make your life a little easier?

Sorry to hear this.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
just ordered a backup hard drive from Amazon. Paranoia set in.
Snap, just bought 2x 2TB drives and RAID'd them,  :ohmy:, although Amazon in brilliant fashion put them in minimal packaging so I'm amazed either one works.

was going to do this as my 2x 1TB drives are full, then thought I don't actually need to keep all these downloaded films & tv series so deleted a couple hundred gig of stuff i am likely never to watch or use again. ps get yourself a ssd, 40gig is more than enough for win 7 ultimate x64 plus all the progs you want to run

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I've thought about deleting stuff before but couldn't bring myself to do it as I'm something of a hoarder.

Instead I use external USB drives to bung a single copy of sutff I'm unlikely to listen/watch again and leave it sat on the shelf.  Storage is cheap and I've then got a copy should I change my mind about wanting to watch it again and I don't have to wait for it to download.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Well, I stayed up for pretty much two days and did an all nighter leading into the final critique and it came good. Despite not having my plans/sections/elevations etc, I was told in the pub afterwards by my visiting critic who has worked for a high profile firm that my review was one of the ones he actually enjoyed. It was nice to be commended for retaining an optimistic outlook and nice to hear some really good feedback about the quality of the work and developmental models I was able to present. A week without any drawings enabled me to detail my building from top to bottom which left me with a 2.5m high drawing that left nothing to uncertainty. I told the reviewers that this was to be my desert island drawing. Gladly they laughed and agreed I had made the right choice. Still so much to do but all will be well.

Paul - On the mitigating circumstances front, I've been told on two occasions that data loss does not merit them. Best not to dwell and just impress though eh.

Thanks again for listening to the whinge guys and sorry to have posted such a self centred thread. Repeatedly amazed at the knowledge here that everybody has.

andy popp

• forum hero
Tom, really good to hear that the crit went well and that you're taking such a positive approach, I think its the only way forward.

I wasn't going to say anything in advance, as it just seems so negative, but I think the advice you received about mitigating circs is probably right. If a student came to me with this I would probably, however reluctantly, have to say it was just tough and to get on with it.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
glad to read things are getting back on track!!!  :smartass:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Good to hear its working out beast

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Good work, keep it up, onwards and upwards.  :smartass:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bon Effort for rising to the challenge.

illegitimi nihil carborundum.

Monolith

• forum hero
Maybe more of a YYFY but I'd just like to thank people for being so supportive and offering technical advice along the way with this. I put the last pin in the wall at 9.15 yesterday morning after staying awake for 4 days to finally redraw and recover my final year main project. I've never felt so strange from being sleep deprived so badly but it's over and the end of the degree. Thanks again and I owe you helpful people a drink. Hoepfully I've pulled it out of the bag and the comments from my peers have been positive with respect to what I've been able to redraw in the time. Now for a sleep.

The mantra read...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Well done mate! Disappointed you haven't managed to keep your blog up to date in your spare time :)

Sleep the sleep.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Well done mate! Disappointed you haven't managed to keep your blog up to date in your spare time :)

Fucking slacker!

Great effort Tom. Hope you've backed it all up....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Well done Tom.  I may have said this earlier but you've shown great character digging in and sorting this out without giving up or blaming the world around you.  I'm sure youll be a real asset to any future architecture practice and all this effort will be worthwhile in the long run.  I hope you get the grade you deserve.

SA Chris

• forum hero
This might be the story that sets you apart in an interview and lands you a dream job!

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
Well done fella!

I think you've done a really good thing here, and like has already been said, it may be worth bunging into an interview situation!

I'm reckoning you knocked the froth off a few after that...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
This might be the story that sets you apart in an interview and lands you a dream job!
:agree:

Monolith

• forum hero
Cheers chaps! Feeling much better after sleeping for two days!

Yeah I think I need some time in a temping job now just to get the funds rolling back in before any form of 'proper job' application. I've been cleaned out! Maybe the HDD saga can be written up as a novel and in a bizarre twist of fate, I may never need to work again after its release.

rich d

• forum hero
"Maybe the HDD saga can be written up as a novel and in a bizarre twist of fate, I may never need to work again after its release"
I'd leave that bit out of the interview.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal