UKBouldering.com

cost of a centre (Read 9024 times)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
cost of a centre
April 23, 2011, 10:31:20 pm
assuming you already have the premises how much money should be allowed for to create somewhere like the climbing works.  I need to know to see if its a viable business venture as someone i know has all the elements in place but not enough funding.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: cost of a centre
April 24, 2011, 08:55:37 am
not enough funding.

How do you know it's not enough if you don't know how much it will cost?

has all the elements in place

Shirley this includes having worked out how much plywood, matting, staff, gold plated urinals, coffee and chocolate etc. is needed? Add up the costs for all the stuff as well as the amount needed to spend on labour to put it all together and add my consultant fee and HEY PRESTO, you have a good estimate of how much it will cost.

That'll be £25,000 management consultation fee please

Disclaimer: I have never been involved in such a project

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#2 Re: cost of a centre
April 27, 2011, 07:16:14 pm
cheers lagers ill put the cheque in the post.  the reason i asked is because he probably knows a figure he needs but i wanted to do a bit of my own investigation to check im not going to get ripped off before i hold further talks with him.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#3 Re: cost of a centre
April 30, 2011, 10:31:33 pm
im sure someone whispered £250k for a large bouldering wall as a startup(building wall,covering rent for time before opening and other set up costs like insurence etc) but dont quote me on that.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#4 Re: cost of a centre
April 30, 2011, 10:53:52 pm
i was thinking 200k so that would probably be about right. there is probably 50,000 pounds worth of ply without building the walls.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#5 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 12:35:06 pm
im sure someone whispered £250k for a large bouldering wall as a startup(building wall,covering rent for time before opening and other set up costs like insurence etc) but dont quote me on that.

Our budget for Dublin is somewhere in the region of a quarter million euros

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 12:45:09 pm
Is it a good time to be investing in Ireland Graeme?  :-\

roddersm

• stalker
#7 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 12:55:31 pm

I'd imagine it's a perfect time due to the cheaper propert and rent?

Just out of interest Graeme did you consider Belfast as a possible loction? What attracted you to dublin or Ireland in general? This is the 1st commercial wall in Ireland (North or South)?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:05:46 pm
Yes I'm aware of that but was thinking more of what may happen in the next few years with either horrific austerity measures or the consequences of default (whatever they may be) to deal with.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#9 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:19:10 pm

We shall see. Our last gamble paid off handsomely.

Anyway from my point of view it's only money and if it fails or struggles it won't affect me too much - as long as The Works continues to be successful

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#10 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:21:08 pm

Just out of interest Graeme did you consider Belfast as a possible loction? What attracted you to dublin or Ireland in general? This is the 1st commercial wall in Ireland (North or South)?

Nail/head with the rent bit.

We had a gander in Belfast a couple of years back but thought no. Dublin seems ripe.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:21:56 pm

We shall see. Our last gamble paid off handsomely.

Anyway from my point of view it's only money and if it fails or struggles it won't affect me too much - as long as The Works continues to be successful

Fair play then.  :)

roddersm

• stalker
#12 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:30:37 pm

Nail/head with the rent bit.

We had a gander in Belfast a couple of years back but thought no. Dublin seems ripe.

OK fair enough. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will do great. Hope to make it down sometime when it opens.

roddersm

• stalker
#13 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:37:56 pm
Yes I'm aware of that but was thinking more of what may happen in the next few years with either horrific austerity measures or the consequences of default (whatever they may be) to deal with.

Yeah sorry Jasper. Thats a good point but I suppose it would be a risk in the UK too, although maybe slightly less so, with uncertain economic conditions ahead? There seems to be a growing bouldering scene around Dublin (Chillax or Dave would know more than me on this), and a lack of facilities there, so i suppose its a logical enough spot.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#14 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:39:13 pm
Our budget for Dublin is somewhere in the region of a quarter million euros

Graeme do you have any more information about the wall, where it will be, when its opening etc?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:44:03 pm

Yeah sorry Jasper. Thats a good point but I suppose it would be a risk in the UK too, although maybe slightly less so, with uncertain economic conditions ahead? There seems to be a growing bouldering scene around Dublin (Chillax or Dave would know more than me on this), and a lack of facilities there, so i suppose its a logical enough spot.

No probs. Anyway, The Works hasn't exactly done badly in bucking the economic trend in recent years so there's probably nothing to worry about!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#16 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:52:06 pm
Graeme do you have any more information about the wall, where it will be, when its opening etc?

We are keeping stum for a bit longer but all will be revealed in a month or so. Although we hope to open sometime in September.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#17 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 01:53:20 pm
There seems to be a growing bouldering scene around Dublin (Chillax or Dave would know more than me on this), and a lack of facilities there, so i suppose its a logical enough spot.

Yeah loads of new boulderers around now. Mostly college age, very motivated and very strong.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: cost of a centre
May 11, 2011, 05:03:56 pm

Aye, well dodgy. Somewhere like Scotland is a safer bet. NE Scotland specifically. South Aberdeen ideal.

That's £5000 as consultant for supplying this information. Thanks

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#19 Re: cost of a centre
May 19, 2011, 07:38:51 pm
all i have to do now is convince my customer to invest the 200k, shouldnt be that hard they are always interested in making money. do you mind me asking graeme what the profit margins are like over a year, thats if i can achieve anything like the works.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#20 Re: cost of a centre
July 04, 2011, 07:58:56 pm
Sorry, not going to say what the profits are other than they are good. If you are serious then get our Companies House records.

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: cost of a centre
July 06, 2011, 11:43:50 pm
Aye, well dodgy. Somewhere like Scotland is a safer bet. NE Scotland specifically. South Aberdeen ideal.

Well, there's hardly any demand for it up here is there, what with all the climbers and the poor weather, doesn't sound like it'd be a good place to open a wall...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#22 Re: cost of a centre
July 07, 2011, 09:10:46 am
Well apparently Transition are expanding to include an outdoor climbing bit and dirt trails for BMX. Not sure it's a wise strategy thugh; if it's dry and daylight hours with climbing 10 mins drive away why would you climb on an outdoor wall*

*ignoring seagull infestations, greasy rock, high tides and high seas preventing access to the climbing

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: cost of a centre
July 08, 2011, 09:05:56 pm
Can they not spend the money by moving the campus board 2 feet higher off the ground?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal