Wild fires warning (Read 2405 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Wild fires warning
April 21, 2011, 10:43:31 am
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2546

Over the past few days and over this coming weekend, temperatures have been rising, increasing the risk of wild fires across our moorland areas.

With the recent spell of hot weather, the risk of wildfires has risen.  In the past few weeks a number have already been reported across the moorlands of England and Wales, particularly in the Peak District and wildfires are expected to be a serious problem over the summer months and even this Bank Holiday.

The Fire Severity Index (FSI), provided by the Met Office, is the trigger for fire restrictions on open access land when conditions become exceptional. It can be viewed by viewing the Natural England website.  A serious fire has the potential to spread quickly and escalate into a big problem. Wildfires fires don’t just affect the surface vegetation but embed deep into the peat, and need a lot of water to put out.

Here are a few suggestions for action that you can take to help prevent wild fires:

If you smoke on the moors, stub your cigarette out on a stone or on the sole of your shoe and take the cigarette butt home (Moors for the Future provide free “butts & gum” pouches for this).
Camping isn’t allowed on any Open Access area unless the landowner has specifically given you permission, so don’t camp, and definitely don’t start a campfire. Likewise don’t fire up a BBQ in a high-risk area.
If you see a fire, call 999 immediately, give them a general location and try to contact the ranger service or local access authority as soon as possible.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Wild fires warning
April 21, 2011, 10:56:51 am
Don't know how you're doing this, but I saw this tweeted by the BMC yesterday.

Perhaps you could set up a blog thread for the BMC in a similar vein to the blogs to save you the hassle of having to manually post these?

Just a thought.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wild fires warning
April 21, 2011, 11:21:35 am
FFS, the met office can't even get these into a map???

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/firerisk/

Just a table of grid co-ords and values.. ferking useless...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Wild fires warning
April 21, 2011, 04:14:47 pm
Don't know how you're doing this, but I saw this tweeted by the BMC yesterday.

Perhaps you could set up a blog thread for the BMC in a similar vein to the blogs to save you the hassle of having to manually post these?

Just a thought.

Its a good thought but things can get a bit bit messy in the blog pile. Also I think its best I do it manually as I can put in the relevant sub-forums and edit where appropriate checking the links and get it right especially with the support we get support we get from the BMC   

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Wild fires warning
April 21, 2011, 04:24:01 pm
get it right especially with the support we get support we get from the BMC

Thought that might be the case after I cogitated a little longer after the post.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal