UKBouldering.com

Learning How to Bolt (Read 4092 times)

j

Learning How to Bolt
April 05, 2011, 07:15:45 pm
Hi there,

Apologies if this is seems a bit off-topic in a bouldering forum but I was recommended that some of you may be able to help. Also I've had a search on the forum but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

In short, I would like to learn to bolt. I would like to hear from anyone who can bolt, specifically about how you learnt. I've been told the BMC run courses but can't seem to find any on their website at present but have emailed to enquire. I have also been recommended to get involved with a bolt fund; if any of you have any experience in this area I would be really interested to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 05, 2011, 10:51:08 pm
Tried emailing the BMC?
I know Tris (who doesn't seem to postmmuch here atm) learnt how to bolt for the Frogsmouth quarry re-vamp.. I think that was a bmc or bolt fund thing.. (I know next to nothing really but there's a couple of leads..)
T

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 05, 2011, 11:17:26 pm
In short, I would like to learn to bolt. I would like to hear from anyone who can bolt, specifically about how you learnt. I've been told the BMC run courses but can't seem to find any on their website at present but have emailed to enquire.

Hi Jen

Everything you need to know about installing bolts is in an excellent pdf download from the BMC here

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 05, 2011, 11:22:27 pm
I can tell you what not to do....

Don't use a drill borrowed from your mate who reckoned it was fit for the job and spend the next two back breaking days on the end of a rope drilling three holes for bolts that were too overengineered and about 50mm longer than they needed to be.

:chair:

Buy or borrow the bigest SDS drill you can afford and read the BMC guide first.

RichK

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 09:10:20 am

Don't use a drill borrowed from your mate who reckoned it was fit for the job and spend the next two back breaking days on the end of a rope drilling three holes for bolts that were too overengineered and about 50mm longer than they needed to be.

:-\ sounds familiar. Was it supplied by Super G Power Tools Inc' of Airton per chance?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 09:11:47 am
Just learn how to run, then do it quickly.

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 09:42:44 am
:-\ sounds familiar. Was it supplied by Super G Power Tools Inc' of Airton per chance?

No no, it was a tiny Makita supplied by Probes. But thanks, I know now not to borrow anything from a certain resident of Airton...

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#7 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 10:44:30 am

:chair:

Buy or borrow the bigest SDS drill you can afford and read the BMC guide first.

:o cheaky get, ill lend you one of these in future

:ras:   :kiss2:

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 10:52:45 am
 :lol::jab:

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 11:57:29 am
Can't believe we've both turned up wearing the same avatar.  ::)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 12:39:09 pm

I did a double take the other day when I noticed that - got to be a first for UKB?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#11 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 01:09:44 pm

Haha, freaky. i only changed it the other day, when whilst google image searching for 'football bird' he popped up.  ;)

danm

• junky
#12 Re: Learning How to Bolt
April 06, 2011, 06:43:09 pm
Jen,

Some of the local bolt funds run their own informal training events, contact them through their websites/email. I've helped arrange a few BMC events which are mainly about networking really. These usually also involve equipping a few routes at the venue  :)

If there is any demand for one I'll happily run one - so far we've done them in Cumbria, the Peak, South Wales and Cheshire. Drop me an email at dan@thebmc.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal