UKBouldering.com

The picking stuff up thread (Olympic and Power Lifting) (Read 8951 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
A thread dedicated to the sport and practice of Olympic and Power lifting.   Initially introduced to the Deadift and Overhead squat as rehab for elbow, back and shoulder problems I've become increasingly interested in, and convinced by the benefits of picking heavy stuff up and putting it overhead or picking it up and putting down again.   There are several training and injury related threads that talk about deadlifts, overhead squats so I thought it might be useful to gather this all into one place and keep a thread running, also for discussions on technique, demonstrate your prowess, and to post any useful links to resources and feats of strength and power.

Disclaimer: These exercises will not make anyone a better rock climber, but, they will almost certainly help with injury prevention and rehab, full body strength, flexibility and they are really good fun to learn and do.

Some definitions..

There are two Olympic Lifts: The Snatch and the Clean & Jerk.

There three Powerlifts:  Squat, Benchpress and the Deadlift.

Some resources:

Dan John  training guru and Olympic lifting coach. His book Lifting and Learning is great.

Westside Barbell the Powerlifting guru Louie Simmons.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Disclaimer: These exercises will not make anyone a better rock climber, but,

UKB Crush warning

This morning I weighed 9lbs heavier than last summers climbing weight but am nearly as skinny as I've ever felt.

No more weights for me thank you.

* Edit* not to say that the limited weights work I've done has solely caused the 9lbs but don't want to let doing weights from now on stop me leaning down
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:36:57 pm by shark »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Didn't they sort out your back and make your core stronger (feet on the 40 degree board; climbing tall and all that stuff)?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Disclaimer: These exercises will not make anyone a better rock climber, but,

UKB Crush warning

This morning I weighed 9lbs heavier than last summers climbing weight but am nearly as skinny as I've ever felt.

No more weights for me thank you.

* Edit* not to say that the limited weights work I've done has solely caused the 9lbs but don't want to let doing weights from now on stop me leaning down and picking stuff up and pressing it overhead like the Olympic beast I am.

Give over fatty   ;D  you need to manage your rep/weight/rest ratios better.
Did you take any limb measurements before and after? Anyone thinking of experimenting with weights should know how they're reacting to it.
Running has put 3cm on my thighs and given me the munchies :popcorn:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Didn't they sort out your back and make your core stronger (feet on the 40 degree board; climbing tall and all that stuff)?

Thanks for paying attention - yes, it can't be denied but FFS 11st11lb !! I was down to 11st 3lb when I did K3 last year

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Give over fatty   ;D  you need to manage your rep/weight/rest ratios better.
Did you take any limb measurements before and after? Anyone thinking of experimenting with weights should know how they're reacting to it.

Running !!! - didnt your grandmother tell you how to suck eggs and that climbing isnt a cardio sport

Re measurements there wasnt much change:

Before:

Circumferences: (cm) Torso at Nipple Height: 95 Torso at Umbilicus: - 78 Hip: - 96 Upper Arm: - 38 Forearm: - 29.5 Wrist: - 18.0 Thigh: - 55.0 Calf: - 42.0

After:
Circumferences: (cm) Torso at Nipple Height: - 95.4 Torso at Umbilicus: - 77.3 Hip: - 94 Upper Arm: - 37.4 Forearm: - 29.8
Wrist: - 17.6 Thigh: - 54.0 Calf: - 41.4

Thinking about it I had already been doing the weights stuff by the 'before' weigh-in

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Well this thread degenerated quickly....  ::)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Well this thread degenerated quickly....  ::)

:oops:

Sorry

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
That's OK, I'll go and take my heavy toys and play with some other friends  :wavecry:

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
Im starting to massively rate lifting shit. I used to do a bit, but stopped when i was early 20s, it gave me a lock off strength that ive never lost but ever after i stopped ive always been battling odd injuries, my back being the worst, caused by lack of lower back core strength.
The man of the moment of sorts, Blackpool Sam, was all but a punter some 4/5 year ago, i remember bouldering with him at the barn after he'd had 3 months off, sat looking after special needs kids, eating pizza's, drinking shite etc. He was probably 15 stone and could barely string together 5 pull ups. He then went into plate lifting machine mode, and still is 5 yr later, 6 in the morning every morning, clean and jerking 140kgs or something equally silly for breakfast. The outcome is.. well.. a frightening amount of BT, a lock off that a gymnast ud be proud of, and a number of V14s under his usually very heavy weight belt. You just got to be arsed i guess.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Here's a great free resource from Dan John From the Ground Up most of which made its way into Lifting and Learning.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
I still can't help thinking that regardless what weights you are pulling, you can't put on weight unless you are eating more than you need.

I don't see how you could just convert spare body fat into muscle and get heavier.

Rob F

• menacing presence
Get yourself up to Leeds- train with the stongest man on the planet...

http://www.andyboltonstrength.net/

His training vid is very good / inspirational.

Rob F

• menacing presence
Sorry- 2nd strongest man on the planet.

Until the Bodypower Expo in May...

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".

Are sure it's the running that does that?

Milford Cubicle

• player
What about the benefits of gymnastic training? Wouldn't they be more beneficial to climbing strength? I'm referring to front lever and planche holds....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Nah, they did nothing for John Gill.  :tease:

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
I use 'Euro-training'... :weakbench:+ :dance1:= 8)

Serpico

• forum hero
That's OK, I'll go and take my heavy toys and play with some other friends  :wavecry:

"You tried and you failed miserably, the lesson is, never try."
H.Simpson

Serpico

• forum hero
What about the benefits of gymnastic training? Wouldn't they be more beneficial to climbing strength? I'm referring to front lever and planche holds....

Go back and read the first post carefully, this isn't UKC.

Milford Cubicle

• player
I know that the thread is about lifting, I just wondered what people thought about planche etc..

Serpico

• forum hero
exrx is a good for exercises descriptions and form videos.
Gubes has some good articles, particularly for ladies who lift.

Running !!! - didnt your grandmother tell you how to suck eggs and that climbing isnt a cardio sport
When you look at the CDC recommendations for aerobic and strength training for adults (not athletes), it's because climbing isn't a cardio sport that I feel I should do some.
As for lifting I think it's important as you get older to offset muscle loss through sarcopenia and to keep loading the skeletal system to keep bone density up, looking at your decreasing stats and increasing weight you appear to have gotten a bit too dense...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
it's because climbing isn't a cardio sport that I feel I should do some.
As for lifting I think it's important as you get older to offset muscle loss through sarcopenia and to keep loading the skeletal system to keep bone density up

Exactly. I had climbing as my main form of activity for years, then practiced yoga for some other years and learned a great deal about how unbalanced and f*cked up years of climbing - even at a quite modest level - had made many parts of my body.

Now I'm climbing again, but also older, and very much aware of climbing's rather severe limitations from the perspective of maintaining general health. Consequently I do a fair amount of mobility/stretching/bodyweight exercises, and would try to fit in a few weight sessions too if I had access to a good gym.

In the winter I also make lame attempts to maintain enough of a cardio level to not die on Alpine approach marches in the summer - although I suppose that *is* aimed at making me "better at climbing", for some value of "climbing".

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
My view on this is:

Weights for redressing injuries and correcting/preventing muscular imbalances = good
Bodyweight exercises = unlikely to harm
Olympic lifting = good for developing practical strength, injury risk
Power lifting = injury risk, not as much practical benefit as Olympic lifts
Bodybuilding weights = injury risk, waste of effort

At Uni I did quite a lot of bodybuilding and power lifting weights with a view to increasing strength for MMA - ended up getting quite strong but buggering my lower back and seeing far less practical benefit, in my opinion, than I would have done by spending that weight-lifting time doing cardio and drilling technique (i.e. getting your strength to work for you effectively). 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal