UKBouldering.com

Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering. (Read 13062 times)

ferret

• forum abuser
#25 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 02:14:27 am
why is this even a thread?

chris i dont know you but im pretty sure it would take me little effort to get your phone number and give u a call. Seems to me u could have done the same to Mike.
sick of these bullshit posts, they are the worst thing to happen to climbing in along time, ffs cant we just use the web for positive stuff people.

pls lock this thread ( at the very least until mike decides to reply )

BenF

• forum hero
#26 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 07:59:16 am
Fatneck has already said some of what I wanted to say about Mick, but I'd like to reiterate his attitude towards always making sure he follows rules and specific starts/sequences etc.  I've spent many an hour waiting for Mick to be happy that he's started a problem in the correct place or done it the approved way to ensure he gets the tick.  However, Chris's points are still valid re: start positions of PMMH and ToD, maybe they should just have been directed via a pm or blog response. 

Since Mick and the person who made the film are away this week, I will just add a little context without intending to speak for either of them.  Mick can respond when he returns if he can remember his login details...  As Fatneck has said, Mick has done ToD and PMMH previously, quite a few times over the past ten years in fact.  Although I was on the beach that day, I was at the other end when Mick did ToD and PMMH but if I remember rightly, on the day in question it wasn't a case of Mick repeating these problems for a film, more a case of the camera was on and Mick happened to do these problems and then the film was put together later.  Mick was doing these problems on the day in question as part of his "warm up" so probably won't have been that bothered about repeating them from lowest start positions, although the film maker may not have realised this when he put the film together later and added the titles and grades.  As for Dolly Rocker, I can't really comment on the start position having not looked at it other than to stand on the top and look down at Mick when he was trying it, but on the day in question Mick had returned to Porth Ysgo to climb it again having previously climbed it incorrectly (wrong side or something I think, but you'd better ask Mick really).

Bit of a storm in a teacup perhaps and I'm sure Mick will explain more accurately when he returns.  Just thought I could add this and maybe close the subject until he returns.  One point of Chris's that really does stand is that we all need to be careful to start problems correctly/follow all rules etc when posting videos on line.  If only to avoid threads like this.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:09:54 am by BenF »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#27 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 08:29:54 am
Fatneck has already said some of what I wanted to say about Mick, but I'd like to reiterate his attitude towards always making sure he follows rules and specific starts/sequences etc.  I've spent many an hour waiting for Mick to be happy that he's started a problem in the correct place or done it the approved way to ensure he gets the tick.  However, Chris's points are still valid re: start positions of PMMH and ToD, maybe they should just have been directed via a pm or blog response. 

I'd echo this. In my experience Mick is very fastidious about correct start positions and very reluctant to throw around downgrades, far more so than most boulderers. I think your fire is misdirected on this one CJD.

BenF

• forum hero
#28 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 09:32:34 am
I think your fire is misdirected on this one CJD.

Although it is fair to pass comment if a video that is openly published shows problems being claimed at a grade that does not match the start position/rule etc.  In this instance though, it is a genuine error in the way the video portrays the climbs and there has been no intent to cheat or misrepresent. 

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 10:08:19 am
I dont think this was supposed to be a nasty thread about mike, I dont know the guy but he has always seemed totally sound when I saw him in the cave.  Plus he has an awesome dog, so cant be an evil genuis (they have white cats.)  Somewhere up there there is a comment saying how negative this is for bouldering, it is because thats what everyone interpritated it as.  The fact is that I saw the video and went hey but hang on a second so showed cjd who is a lot more forthright with his opinions then me.  Anyway here  go the points...

1.  Its a hot topic at present, how to define starting holds and what is best.  Sure I will have pulled on higher than I should have done somewhere some time I am sure most of us will have done.  Bit about adding moves to his project to make it as clear as possible - http://martinkeller.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html  Maybe I should have started matched on the low crimp to make it extra clear.

2.  Some one said are you sure the information is clear about the starting holds, well how can it be without discussions like this?  There is no attempt to discredit anyones climbing or credentials.  If I see a video of someone starting x problem on y holds then thats where I start.  Thats one of the reasons why I care about highlighting this in thcase of dolly rocker, Its already got  a shit (sorry chris) problem on the wall to the right and it doesnt need another vatiation to water down a great line.

I am really sorry if my showing the video to cjd and his ranting had caused anyone to feel that their mate is being held up as a example unfairly, this was far from the original intention. 

Someone else said it should have been sorted out by p.m  personally I think Mr Adams is a wad, I think that most people who know anything about bouldering in UK would know that, I don't think that everything in the world is a personal attack, and I don't see any reason why it should be taken as such.

BenF

• forum hero
#30 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 10:17:20 am
I am really sorry if my showing the video to cjd and his ranting had caused anyone to feel that their mate is being held up as a example unfairly, this was far from the original intention. 

Yeah, its a shame that this case involves an unfair example, and Mick is an unfair example to take.  But I think it's a fair point to raise this if the video shows stuff being started wrongly, and Mick does start quite high in the video.  As you say, maybe we need to a) ensure more specific information about start positions is available and b) all make sure we go out of our way to do things the right way if we want the ticks.   

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 10:28:30 am
Why not comment on the video hosting/blog or contact the person who put the video together and say "Hanging on your caption is inappropriate, it should be starting further back/lower down, in the interests of preventing dis-information is there any chance you could re-edit and clear this up with for example "Problem X from crouching" so that this doesn't become the accepted method of doing the problem" :shrug:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#32 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 11:15:51 am

Yeah, its a shame that this case involves an unfair example, and Mick is an unfair example to take.  But I think it's a fair point to raise this if the video shows stuff being started wrongly, and Mick does start quite high in the video.  As you say, maybe we need to a) ensure more specific information about start positions is available and b) all make sure we go out of our way to do things the right way if we want the ticks.
:agree:
The OP had a fair point but it was badly made.

Dolph

• player
#33 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 11:17:01 am
As has been mentioned i am currently in Switzerland and don't want to get involved as I have got better things to worry about. I really don't like threads like this the poster always ends up looking like there just being a bit bitter and over protective and the climber in question ends up with a slur on their reputation. I have always had a deep respect for Chris Davies as he's in North Wales doing his thing and always seems to be able to produce hard problems for the rest of us to go try, i was disappointed to read his comments. I didn't really want to post on this thread as i don't like to pander to it but it seems people really want me to and I'd like to take the pressure off friends who might feel they need to speak up for me.

As far as I'm concerned pr0n Makes Me Horney is a brilliant problem and I have always started it there and every one I have seen has started it like that as it is a comfortable start. The slap up surly is the hardest move anyway?

I can't remember if I started Tide of Dreams a move lower down I think I did. I remember at the time giving Si Panton a detailed account of the sequence i used which he asked for. Not long after Mark Katz repeated the line with this same method I presume. Nowadays I climb it from where I did in the video with a stretched morph start as part of the circuit I do down there every time I visit.

It seems to me the real problem is with Dolly Rocker. On the day in question I went down to try this line I was unsure where it started. I had climbed What it is to Burn which is the right side of the arete. With the sitting move up being the hardest. I assumed notbreally knowing that Dolly rocker went up the left Side of the arete. So this is what I worked. On the day I was aware that I hadn't started the problem properly as I'd done it from a streched start (i could actually pull on from there but bit seems I got lazy as attempts wore on) I was pretty sure that dave would have started lower down as he would not be able to reach. That is why I NEVER claimed to have done the second accent!! The conditions where terrible that day as it was greasy so i was happy with that as a goal for the day. On getting home and checking it out as I expected I needed to start lower and fully intend next time I go that I will climb the problem from the start. In terms of grades then I can we see it feeling 8a+ from the start? Although I did try those moves and I didn't think they would be the crux all and i think i would link in better conditions. This is a great problem and full respect to Dave for climbing the line!!! I think it is a valid point to state this so people watching the vid know that this is not the start but surly a comment on the blog or the vid would have been better? Actually I'm sat next to Owen who has just said that he will happily change the credits at the end.

The third point is that Owen had a bunch of footage and decide to make a little film for the blog. All the grades he quoted were the lowest cited grades to be found in guide books and on the Internet. Interestingly at no point does it say on the web site or on the video that i make the second accent of Dolly rocker or does it say that I particularly had an amazing day at the crag. It is a blog post about getting sick of bad weather and finding climbing at Porth Ysgo. I think it is quite well written by Owen I think and sums up well the feeling at the time. It is a shame though inevitable that people have focused on the video.

One last point I would make is that from a personal perspective I have never really dwelled on grades. They go up and more often they go down, people seem to use them in a political way and others get really upset about them. Personally I climb for the joy of climbing and focus on that. I don't let myself dwell on if someone starts a climb differently or doesn't top out etc. I use grades as a reference point only. After all it's a very personal journey as everyone is built differently and has different climbing styles best just to relax and enjoy the climbing.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#34 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 11:42:18 am
there really is a smilie for everything!

You're not wrong.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#35 Re: Porth Ysgo Gossip Mongering.
April 12, 2011, 11:59:51 am
And there we go - thanks Mick.  As pointed out by a couple on here:  it may have seemed slightly retarded to have gone for the 'no name' approach.  This is because the point of this was not to put down a singular person, and I hope that I did manage to reflect this in my initial post.

Unfortunately [for Mick], the footage/scenario I was using to pin point what is actually a current talking point (quick ticks and false starts, gross/unjustified down grading, did he/she do it etc) was actually him climbing a collection of lines down at Ysgo in succession without actually ticking them properly.  It could have been Santa, but unfortunately, it wasn't - no personal offense meant (and I don't back pedal - ever, as I'm sure you are all aware).

I did actually mention that there is no doubt that Mick is a very strong and talented boulderer.  What I was hoping to achieve is a bit more honesty in the sport.  I'm sure if this had been a certain 'Sam' in the video, you would all have dived in, pitch forks and hangman's noose in arms (Sam, for the record, is currently one of my few hero's, so no miss-quoting please).

Anyhow, thanks for the interest - maybe it'll force a few 'ascents' back into the shadows.  As for just calling Mick - good idea for a nice chat to find out what the score was and to get info on a couple of inspirational ascents (Serendipity etc), but again - this was not my intention here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal