UKBouldering.com

Vegetarian meal for 6.... (Read 16770 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 04:59:11 pm
Hello,
Off down to Exmoor for the weekend with MrsTT and two other couples (and a smattering of small sprogs)... and we're - sorry - I am cooking grub for Saturday PM. If all were non veggie, I'd just bung in a chicken to roast or something, but one pair is so I'm going to have to be a bit more creative. Problem is, I've cooked for them 3-4 times before and I've used up my vegetarian repertiore... (Lasagne, Chilli, Curry..). Ideally it'd be something I could pre-prepare and wang in the oven (like a Lasagne or Mossaka..)...
Any good tips/recipies out there?
TT

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:09:03 pm
is fish an option?

tomtom

• forum hero

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#3 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:22:36 pm
Plenty of Dahl recipes and the like out there which are veggie - depends on whether you want to do two or three different dishes really. Let me know if it is an option and I will get on the case later.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:25:04 pm
Plenty of Dahl recipes and the like out there which are veggie - depends on whether you want to do two or three different dishes really. Let me know if it is an option and I will get on the case later.

They got a dahl and a veg balti last time :( I dont want to appear the one trick pony that I am! :)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:26:06 pm
Veggie Shepherd's Pie - not exactly groundbreaking but easy to do in large quantities with Quorn mince.

Homemade / semi home made with the "just add hot water" packet dough pizza?

Tomato / red onion / mozzarella / rocket tart?

JohnM

• junky
#6 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:36:10 pm
My favourite veggie curry meals are pitod ka saag (chickpea flour dumplings in yoghurt sauce) and malai kofta (potato dumplings stuffed with spinach, paneer and cashews in a creamy sauce), which must surely be one of the best veggie dishes of any kind in the world!  These are a lot harder to prepare than your average veggie curry but they are definitely something different and would certainly impress.  It would be a case of making the dumplings and sauce in advance, keeping them separate and reheating both on the day.  There are plenty of recipes online for malai kofta but if you want the recipe for pitod ka saag let me know.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 06:38:39 pm
Veggie Shepherd's Pie - not exactly groundbreaking but easy to do in large quantities with Quorn mince.

Homemade / semi home made with the "just add hot water" packet dough pizza?

Tomato / red onion / mozzarella / rocket tart?

Hmm.. a big tart/quiche/frittattattatttaaaaatatttaattaaaa-aaaaaa-a might work... good arrows 3T
Shortcrust pastry, a quiche/pie tin load of eggs milk cheese and fillings etc...

edit:RE shep pie.. good idea, but I'm not a huge fan of the quorn option.. its OK, just doesnt float my boat.... & the pizza option's good, but the veggie couple have their own (home made from mud and straw) pizza oven in their garden which really rocks..

Stubbs

#8 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 07:06:07 pm
Mexican stuff?  Either a vege chilli or Vege fajitas?  You can make guac, salsa, grate cheese and chop veg etc before hand, then it's just a case of stir frying up the vege's with a pre prepared spice mix and a splash of beer.  If you wanna go a bit more classy you could cook up some frijoles negros to go with it too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 07:27:36 pm
Mexican stuff?  Either a vege chilli or Vege fajitas?  You can make guac, salsa, grate cheese and chop veg etc before hand, then it's just a case of stir frying up the vege's with a pre prepared spice mix and a splash of beer.  If you wanna go a bit more classy you could cook up some frijoles negros to go with it too.

Oh yeah - thats a great idea! Forgot about Mexicanananana :)

I can also make sweet potato fries..... heaven.

Stubbs

#10 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 07:44:53 pm
That'll be £13.72  ;D

andy popp

• forum hero
#11 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 07:52:49 pm
You mentioned roasting a chicken - just do a full roast dinner and cook a nut roast of some sort (and some non-meat gravy of course) as well the chicken. Everyone loves a roast dinner. I've been vegan for years and don't see why veggies and non-veggies can't both get what they enjoy.

Stubbs

#12 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 07:57:34 pm
I've been vegan for years and don't see why veggies and non-veggies can't both get what they enjoy.

+1  Are they some sort of weird veggies who don't like people eating meat near them?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 08:03:03 pm
You mentioned roasting a chicken - just do a full roast dinner and cook a nut roast of some sort (and some non-meat gravy of course) as well the chicken. Everyone loves a roast dinner. I've been vegan for years and don't see why veggies and non-veggies can't both get what they enjoy.

I'm not well versed with the nut roast I'm afraid - but your point of meat&veg is a good one (the veggies present are not precious about it). if I go for the tex-mex idea I can do a load of fajita's with a meat and non-meat fillings.. some re-fried beans, bit of guac, some sour cream.. cheeky bottle of tequila...... Mind you, I'm making a bit more cooking for myself there and moving away from the make it and bosh it in the oven idea....

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#14 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 08:59:30 pm
There are plenty of recipes online for malai kofta....

A quick search reveals many recipes - none of which seem to bear the slightest resemblance to one another. As an example I found this variation on the theme which requires 24 (yes that's twenty four) cloves of garlic whereas this one requires something like three! I appreciate that there are variations in any recipe but that is taking it to the extreme...

if you want the recipe for pitod ka saag let me know.

Go on then.

PS - I might still try the first variation of the Malai Kofta just out of of curiosity.

Dolly

• forum hero
#15 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 22, 2011, 11:04:09 pm
Porcini risotto ?
Lemon and rocket risotto ?
Both filling with lots of textures and flavours and essentially "one pot meals" that allow you to drink heavily whilst cooking

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#16 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 06:45:51 am
I am cooking grub for Saturday PM.

[cvnt]

See what's left from #pickonvegansfriday and serve that.

The vegetarians can pick the meat out if they have to.

[/cvnt]

nik at work

• forum hero
#17 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 07:38:23 am
I'm not well versed with the nut roast I'm afraid
You can get quorn roasts that you just bung in the oven for forty minutes or so, the in-laws are veggie and when I do a roast I do a chicken and a quorn roast. You end up with round discs of something a bit plastic looking which more or less doesn't taste of chicken, or anything much, but it seems to keep them happy (although, as is probably apparent, quorn very much doesn't float my boat).

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 07:44:52 am
Cheers Nik,
Thats useful to know - though I've always thought quorn/meat substitutes are a but incongruous, shirley if you choose not to eat meat (fair enough - not my bag, but fair enough) then why eat something that pretends to be meat! A greyer line is drawn for the quorn mince stuff as I guess it can be used to pad out lasagne/spag bol/chilli type dishes... As a side question - what do the vegetarians out there think of Quorn etc..?

The risotto's a good idea... keep em coming - theres some good ideas here.. thanks :)

nik at work

• forum hero
#19 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 07:48:31 am
I agree entirely about quorn products, but if it keeps the in-laws quiet then it's fine by me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 08:36:16 am
Chips.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 10:24:52 am
I've a couple of friends who are vegetarian for ethical reasons as oppossed to not liking the taste/flavour, and would still like to eat meat, but can't justify it to themselves.  They eat quorn as a substitute.

nik at work

• forum hero
#22 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 11:25:30 am
That argument would be more compelling if Quorn actually tasted vaguely like meat...

Davey_C

• regular
#23 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 11:34:06 am
If you want to get poncey with your cooking then checkout Masterchef from last week, the whole episode was centred around vegetarian cooking. One thing that looked quite nice was the spiced vegetarian haggis parcel.

Here's all the recipes from the episode and the episode itself via iPlayer.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#24 Re: Vegetarian meal for 6....
March 23, 2011, 11:36:52 am
Veggie Haggis is great, tastes better than the real thing.

(I realise making comment like this may result in my untimely death).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal