UKBouldering.com

Masters Edge gear? (Read 10305 times)

JacobJacob

• player
Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 07:32:16 pm
Thinkin of trying it next week. There seems to be lots of opinions about folded over tri-cams and hexes and no-longer for sale alien cams etc.

Does anyone know for sure what the gear is (preferably stuff that I can still get in the shops)?

The guy in Outside said the black metolius master cam (size 5) is good...?

Its probably best to go for a cam and something else like a tri-cam tho...

Thanks!

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#1 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 08:40:54 pm
the thing with a tri cam in the left(iirc) shot hole is that you can still stand in that shot hole with the gear in place whereas you cant if you use a cam.

JacobJacob

• player
#2 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 09:06:01 pm
ok, yeah I see what your on about  :great:

Do you know what size tri-cam it is?

al123

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 09:25:38 pm
pretty sure its a blue one. it says it on a website somewhere that the blue one is the perfect size for the peaks shot holes like on masters edge,

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#4 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 09:30:37 pm
seem to remember something about a number 3 tri cam but dont hold your life on that.im sure if you googled masters edge gear theres plenty written about it

north_country_boy

• junky
#5 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 09:46:06 pm
the thing with a tri cam in the left(iirc) shot hole is that you can still stand in that shot hole with the gear in place whereas you cant if you use a cam.

You can still stand in it with a cam in. Purple or Orange Alien.

Tommy

• junky
#6 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 17, 2011, 10:45:59 pm
Blue tricam..... purple alien...... green metolius.......backward rock 9

All fit and can be avoided with careful footwork.

Enjoy the route!

(PS. Leave the bottom right hole empty - will make subsequent attempts annoying if you happen to fluff the top bit first go).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 08:01:48 am
Take a full rack and suss out gear as you go. :shrug:  :P

grimer

• forum hero
#8 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 09:48:34 am
All the holes there are the same size so practice on one of the ones on the walls to the left then you'll be sure.

stevej

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 12:11:54 pm
Just to complicate things, in their infinite wisdom camp made size 2.5 and size 3 tri-cams blue. Think they both go in, not sure which is better.

JacobJacob

• player
#10 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 06:07:11 pm
Ok so I'm gonna get a black and green metolius cam and a 2.5 and 3 tri-cam, take them up to Millstone and try them out in the Jealous pensioner holes, try it ( :o ) then return the two I don't use... SIMPLES!  ;D

north_country_boy

• junky
#11 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 06:16:24 pm
Ok so I'm gonna get a black and green metolius cam and a 2.5 and 3 tri-cam, take them up to Millstone and try them out in the Jealous pensioner holes, try it ( :o ) then return the two I don't use... SIMPLES!  ;D

If you don't take the ride, you can probably return them all  ;)

SiWitcher

#12 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 06:29:28 pm
2x 2.5 tricams (blue sling) work fine, and they're cheaper than slcds, if you can't borrow some. Good luck!

SamT

• forum hero
#13 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 07:38:27 pm

Just checked the one in the garage and it was a 2.5 Tricam that I used. Took the lob on to it too, though I did have the alien. Cant remember what size that was, as it was borrowed.

I've pondered in the past, how close the holes are to the arete, and whether enough force could be transmitted from a cam, during a lob, to bust off the rock between.

Anyone else ever noticed the very small potential placement  halfway between the ground and the shot holes. I've never heard anyone else talk about it, but IIRC it looked like it may take a piece (any may actually have been manufactured). Then again, I might have dreamt that, as it was a good while ago.

JacobJacob

• player
#14 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 07:50:39 pm

Anyone else ever noticed the very small potential placement  halfway between the ground and the shot holes. I've never heard anyone else talk about it, but IIRC it looked like it may take a piece (any may actually have been manufactured). Then again, I might have dreamt that, as it was a good while ago.

Yes apparently there is some special german peice of kit that fits in there according to (above mentioned) outside employee, its kind of like one of those slider nut thingeys with the gold disc that you can pull back and forth (can't remember what they're called).

but really a couple of pads make the first half within bouldering height anyways I rekns...

Nigel

• forum hero
#15 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 18, 2011, 08:35:17 pm

Yes apparently there is some special german peice of kit that fits in there according to (above mentioned) outside employee, its kind of like one of those slider nut thingeys with the gold disc that you can pull back and forth (can't remember what they're called).
but really a couple of pads make the first half within bouldering height anyways I rekns...

Pretty sure Outside keep one of these devices behind the counter specifically for people to borrow for Master's Edge attempts. I suspect its more effort than its worth to place if you have a couple of pads though, there's very little time to waste once you get going. If you're going ground up it will probably help to place the gear quick then make one more move, so you're stood in the holes, its a much better breather.

JacobJacob

• player
#16 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 23, 2011, 11:46:11 pm
Cheers for the info! did it yesterday  ;D.

For the record the gear is a 2.5 blue tri-cam and a black metolius cam (size 5)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#17 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 24, 2011, 08:43:42 am
Good work tall dude

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: Masters Edge gear?
March 24, 2011, 08:46:00 am
Yeah, nice one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal