UKBouldering.com

Weird Finger problem (Read 1480 times)

Marky

• player
Weird Finger problem
March 16, 2011, 12:38:32 pm
Ok after a session on the woody last night noticed that the first joint of index finger is sore if I press on the underside of the joint and down one side only. Does not feel like a tendon problem as ok to crimp but pressure on the joint surface produces pain - feels like maybe nerve damage? Anybody else had this - any help much appreciated?

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#1 Re: Weird Finger problem
March 21, 2011, 11:15:13 am
Hi Mate

I have had similar issues with the lower joint on my LH ring finger, joint feels sore at sides but not top or bottom, not sure what caused it but it appeared after a session on tweaky plastic, odd sideways movement of the joint may be responsible as have had similar before when crimping hard on a low start and moving sideways/reaching  :-\ Oddly I can crimp OK and Open hand/slopers etc, just certain pinch positions are painful!

I have found using Ibuprofen for a couple of days alleviated most of the soreness/inflamation and I use icing now if I suspect tendon or similar tweaks, this has helped considerably as has reverting to gentle open hand training and easy trad for a couple of weeks - in my case age (48) may not be helping the joint's general health  :'(

If you consult anyone I would be very interested to hear what they have to say

Good luck, H

Marky

• player
#2 Re: Weird Finger problem
March 23, 2011, 04:25:03 pm
Thanks for the advice. I did a few sessions of hot/cold therapy as recommended by Dave Mac and took it easy for a week trying to open hand everything and it appears to have largely disappeared. Had a session on the woody last night and almost back to normal.  :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal