UKBouldering.com

Carlo Traversi video; The Game (Read 18985 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#25 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 01:55:15 pm
It's distasteful and CT shouldn't be normalising this mentality by allowing this sort of rubbish to appear on his blog. He's put it out there, it's cool with him. Make of that what you will.

edit: end of rant
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:16:54 pm by mrjonathanr »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#26 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 02:15:55 pm

Flippin 'eck, that's a bit vindictive, non? Give the guy a break, he's only 22 and probably not completley aware of the responsibility that comes with being an uber-wad.

Ahem http://www.proclimbers.com/

Ooops!

Having never met him I can't comment on whether or not it's a correct assumption but from what I've seen of him on the internet he comes across as a choad. Seeing as the choadish behaviour has been in films made or promoted by him then he either needs some advice on self promotion or some advice on not being such a choad. Either way, it would seem that people need to stop making excuses for him. 22 is old enough to know better.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#27 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 02:36:10 pm
Give the chap a right of reply, he may just need time to reconsider??
comment page

T_B

• forum hero
#28 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:09:39 pm
If you watch it carefully, Carlos seems to be embarrassed by the questions from the cameraman (check out his body language and the way that he repeats the question back to the cameraman). I don't think it reflects badly on him at all - he's simply been ambushed by the cameraman and doesn't know how to respond to his idiotic questioning. I'm cringing at the cameraman and the first guy who is interviewed, not Carlos.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:23:37 pm
Agree totally. It's the bloke who filmed it and put it out there who is the dick.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#30 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:28:46 pm
Well I'd agree (I did view it carefully btw) but only if someone else had posted it on his blog without so much as a by-your-leave. Carlo's responsible for the contents of his blog. He's responsible for endorsing its contents by association. It's hardly a major scandal, just unpleasant, and a very poor example.

T_B: what's Trevor got to do with it? :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:42:12 pm by mrjonathanr »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:34:24 pm
Exactly. Presumably the "bloke who put it out there" is him (unless someone else writes his blog for him). I don't see it as that much of a big deal, just that this, along with that greatest flasher crap, doesn't exactly paint him in a great light.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:38:07 pm
Don't be hating on tha Geez!  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#33 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:43:17 pm
I was wondering how long it'd be........  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#34 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:45:41 pm
I felt a suitable amount of time had passed and things were starting to almost get sensible.  :tease:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#35 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 03:56:01 pm
Actually I've just noticed he's sponsored by Chris Griffith's company Verve so that'll seem pretty tame to them I expect.

Yoof

• menacing presence
#36 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 04:41:04 pm
Anyone going to say "Good effort"? Jeez go on UKC ;)

I will: Good effort Carlo. :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#37 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 04:51:13 pm
Try the significant repeats thread. This thread was started as a discussion about the video, not the ascent.

Nigel

• forum hero
#38 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 05:19:02 pm
This must be unbelievably tame to anyone who has ever climbed with Doylo/the Cattells/most people from Wales!

Doylo

• forum hero
#39 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 05:33:25 pm
Saysheemee

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#40 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 05:34:23 pm
Exactly. Presumably the "bloke who put it out there" is him (unless someone else writes his blog for him). I don't see it as that much of a big deal, just that this, along with that greatest flasher crap, doesn't exactly paint him in a great light.

Tend to agree with this. It's not a huge deal but it is a bit crass as far as crag banter in a very public video goes. Could have been more tastefully vulgar and funnier. Also could have had a lot less of it and a lot more filming from better angles.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#41 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 05:39:16 pm
tbh i can see why carlo has put the video on his blog,its got him climbing a font 8c/8c+ on it.fair enough he could have edited out all the game rape stuff but he probably though most people would find it funny or atleast not be bothered by it.personally if you had footage of me doing a font 8c i wouldnt care if you edited me to look like hitler and had me reading quotes from mein kampf if it still proved i had done on of the world hardest boulder problems :)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#42 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 07:28:46 pm
As the thread starter, my follow up two penneth is thus:

Agreed the camera man is the number one dickhead with the the random guy and then CT as knobheads equal 2nd, but never the less it could have been edited and posting it on your blog = condoning the contents.

I am not personally offended by the comments but I think them unpleasant and the world does not need any more mindless misogynism than it already has. Rape is real, it is mostly perpetrated by men against women and anything which normalises it or makes it less socially unacceptable is bad.

I don't really care how many beaver jokes you make at the Cave, or how climbing with the Catterals would turn me pale.
I just think that behavior such as on the video is crass and stupid and putting it on a high profile video that will probably be of interest to a huge number of people is short sighted.
I don't think their actions will directly effect the number of rapes, but I think highly profile people who may be sources of inspiration for others posting such material up helps to create an atmosphere that is less inclusive for all individuals, and that can only be bad.

I don't start crying when people post about a problem having rapey holds or what have you but I wish they wouldn't.
I sometimes wish people would consider how their actions might positively or negatively impact on the wider world outside their own personal experiences.

Here endeth my thoughts on lads joking about rape.

Baron

• obsessive maniac

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#44 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 08:33:37 pm
jesus,you go on a liquid natural gas terminal for 10 mins and there is a shit storm on the internet.good to see ya getting dragged back in huffy.did you get wed yet.and for my 2 penneth i have heard a lot worse at the tor

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#45 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 08:39:31 pm
I heard a lot worse from my own mouth but I don't put it on the internet and I am certainly not climbing at the cutting edge or sponsered.

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#46 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 08:46:54 pm
I heard a lot worse from my own mouth but I don't put it on the internet and I am certainly not climbing at the cutting edge or sponsered.

Should it make a difference? At the end of the day even if you're sponsered, you're still human. Bad / childish language behaviour is everywhere including at the crag, if you dont like it thats perfectly correct. But why why whinge about it on the internet, and how is a joke (poor taste or otherwise) news!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#47 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 09:14:46 pm
But why why whinge about it on the internet, and how is a joke (poor taste or otherwise) news!

Well, I wasn't really whinging.
After seeing the video in the news thread I mentioned that I thought they were idiots, Slackline hived it off to stop the news thread going off topic and then I thought I'd better add a few thoughts as my sentence had generated a pages worth of discussion with nothing more from the OP.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#48 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 09:28:32 pm
It's not a major scandal, but it doesn't have to be beyond criticism when something which is pretty offensive gets posted on the net as a joke by someone who is obviously going to be a massive role model to a lot of young guys - and girls. (Maybe a few less of them now, tho).
I think erm sam got it about right, and judging by other posts I think a few people would agree with that.

edit : I think blog comments have to be moderated before appearing so I guess I'm being over-critical.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:36:08 pm by mrjonathanr »

Carlo Traversi

#49 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 09:52:53 pm
Apologies guys.  I didn't make the video and in an effort to get content out as fast as possible, I posted without thinking about it.  Despite the fact that everyone was purely joking around, I do agree that it's distasteful for it to appear in a video.  I fixed the source file on vimeo.  It's just the send now.  I appreciate the feedback.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal