UKBouldering.com

Carlo Traversi video; The Game (Read 19034 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 09:21:56 am

What a total tosspot. Good climber he may be but what a fucking idiot. Game rape, positions filled, cock rings. Honestly do they have no fucking clue?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:08:33 pm by shark, Reason: Embedded the video so thread makes sensei »

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 01:25:46 pm
What a total tosspot. Good climber he may be but what a fucking idiot. Game rape, positions filled, cock rings. Honestly do they have no fucking clue?
Agree  it's childish and sad, but none of that was said by carlo - he didn't make the video.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#2 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 01:48:37 pm
carlo is the one talking about game rape and filling positions, clearly a  :wank:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#3 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 02:27:41 pm
No, Carlo was the one sounding bemused by the "game rape" comments. It was some guy called Conner trying, and failing, to be funny. Carlo just wants to talk about the climbing.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#4 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 03:06:43 pm
carlo wasnt the one with the game rape tags it was the camera man,carlo looked as though he was trying to just be cool and get on with talking about the climb.jeez some of the people on here seem to be quite square,you shopuld here me and my mate rikko at parisellas talking about beavers! :???:

Stubbs

#5 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 04:15:53 pm
Wow I bet you sound really cool.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 05:09:43 pm
carlo wasnt the one with the game rape tags it was the camera man,carlo looked as though he was trying to just be cool and get on with talking about the climb.jeez some of the people on here seem to be quite square,you shopuld here me and my mate rikko at parisellas talking about beavers! :???:

I'm glad you guys stick to the wings so as not to get in my way

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 05:55:58 pm
Wow I bet you sound really cool.

Yeah like you wouldn't believe ::)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 06:18:51 pm

The difference is that you're not trying to be a professional climber, you're not promoting a sponsor, and there isn't a video of you posted on most climbing news sites. Whether this is Carlo's fault or not, it is crass behaviour at best and offensive at worst, and he doesn't distance himself from it. It does nothing to promote the sport and makes boulderers look like idiots. After Carlo's last few videos, if I were a sponsor I'd be seriously thinking of dropping him - this is hardly "brand ambassador" behaviour. If bouldering was a mainstream sport he'd be vilified for this.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 06:56:03 pm
well put Ru.
There is a massive difference between taking the piss with your mates and taking the piss on a vid that is all over the internet

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 07:12:20 pm
yes exactly. well put Ru.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#11 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 07:37:16 pm
Jesus, the bitches are out today!

So this guys a tosspott for going along with a shitty joke on a vid that he did not put online?

Before we all start moaning about how offensive and unprofessional the vid is take a quick look at the sponsor heavy, mainstream sport of skateboarding - watch any video from the last few years and i guarantee theres at least one fully sponsored guy getting in trouble with the police, fighting, breaking public propery, and generally getting absolutely fucked on drugs or alcohol (I always love THAT guy). I cant imagine skate forums with this sort of witch hunt going on. They keep on behaving like this whilst promoting the sport, getting paid by sponsors and selling product.

In some ways bouldering IS the skatebording of the climbing world. Its a young persons sport...and if i was a betting man i'd risk money that majority of people here with a problem with the behavior on that video being over 30:sorry:...(those of you >30 have an excuse...cos it wasnt like this in OUR day was it?)...if not then you're too young to be whinging ...get on with it

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 08:05:15 pm
So this guys a tosspott for going along with a shitty joke on a vid that he did not put online?

It's on his blog.

Before we all start moaning about how offensive and unprofessional the vid is take a quick look at the sponsor heavy, mainstream sport of skateboarding - watch any video from the last few years and i guarantee theres at least one fully sponsored guy getting in trouble with the police, fighting, breaking public propery, and generally getting absolutely fucked on drugs or alcohol (I always love THAT guy). I cant imagine skate forums with this sort of witch hunt going on. They keep on behaving like this whilst promoting the sport, getting paid by sponsors and selling product.

In some ways bouldering IS the skatebording of the climbing world. Its a young persons sport...and if i was a betting man i'd risk money that majority of people here with a problem with the behavior on that video being over 30:sorry:...(those of you >30 have an excuse...cos it wasnt like this in OUR day was it?)...if not then you're too young to be whinging ...get on with it

Personally I'm not offended by it, I just think it's crass. Bouldering isn't skating. Most of the places we climb are owned by people who, if they thought that if we were the sort of people that fought, broke public property or got "absolutely fucked on drugs or alcohol" would ban us from going there.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 08:10:37 pm
i agree in a way that you do have to conduct yourself in a way that portrays your sponsors,therefore your living in a good light but he cant exactly be villified for what his friends do can he?if thats the case im glad im not a sponsored climber,it sounds like no fun at all and thats the reason i climb,to have fun and have a laugh with mates

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 08:46:42 pm
Personally I'm not offended by it, I just think it's crass. Bouldering isn't skating. Most of the places we climb are owned by people who, if they thought that if we were the sort of people that fought, broke public property or got "absolutely fucked on drugs or alcohol" would ban us from going there.

Fair enough Ru but your issue has nothing to do with access to a piece of land, it has to do with conduct and the impact this has on sponsorship. There are people in all sorts of sports acting crassly and whether you like it or not they'll continue to excel in their field and sell product regardless.

If an american president can get his dick sucked and still be allowed to represent the worlds most powerful country i think we can let Carlo off here. ;)

chummer

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 08:53:42 pm
Huffy I see what you're trying saying and but lets not do the skating-climbing comparisons please, too many significant differences and generalisations for my liking bud.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 09:22:46 pm
Skaters are just one example of a similar demographic to Carlo whos actions dont affect their sponsorship...if you dont like this one then why not look at footballers... :worms:

And i'm out like Gadaffi (thanks Rob)

chummer

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 11:30:23 pm
Skaters are just one example of a similar demographic to Carlo whos actions dont affect their sponsorship...

well now you've put it like that Huff I completely understand the comparison and agree with your point!  :kiss2:

Although skating (street skating to be specific) inevitably has a bit of an anarchic and anti social edge to it in way it uses the urban environment which I don't think bouldering does at all. Anyways, going a little  :offtopic: sorry

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#18 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 13, 2011, 11:32:33 pm
Carlo is clearly not perpetuating the lame banter, but he's not turning away from it either. If it's on his blog, he's responsible for it, he's tacitly endorsing it. Just because you can find a skating subculture which is more crass doesn't make this bullshit acceptable.

Rape?? :lol: :lol:

Get a life: there are plenty of kids who'll look up to their climbing heroes as role models in other ways, that's how it works with kids growing up. I don't remember Jerry endorsing misogny. I can think of the odd one who did however - and I despise them for it.

gme

• forum hero
#19 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 02:56:18 am
I am not offended by it at all but don't find it funny, however i guess some kids will think its properly funny and like the image it portrays. I know that at 15-20 i would have found it funny.

Climbing has always had an anarchic side to it as well as the gentlemanly tweeds and pipes image. All sports have different sides to it and its usually to the sports benefits. I think that its been to the detriment of climbing development that its missed out on the "too the Max" extreme sports image that attracts the younger generation but can see bouldering changing that.

The climbers image of being quite geeky has never been able to attract the likes of Nike into our sport and therefore there is a lack of money to pay the top climbers, which is a shame as they put just as much effort into what they do as a top skater/surfer. This then holds back the progression of our sport as many people drop out as it is just not possible to scrape a living off sponsorship.

Its possible to have many images in a sport and therefore attract all people. Surfing as an example has quicksilver as its biggest sponsor, all of there athletes are squeaky clean ideal role models who rarely get caught pissed up or doing something that may effect there sponsors image.Or they have the arty different muse types such as Dane Reynolds that again play to the image they want to portray.
At the other end you have Volcom who are also a very successful company who only sponsor the opposite type of person, drunk, fighting, womanising tattooed wild boys who your mum would be shit scared off but it works and lots of people like it.

So if Carlo and other young Americans want to go down this route rather than the boring perfect image that Sharma has then good luck to them, it make the whole thing more interesting and gives everyone a choice of what to follow.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#20 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 04:47:28 am
Rape??

For some reason this has now become a slang term for being successful or winning at something and seems to be used most often by Yanks. I hear it most when playing online video games where its very common to hear 'get raped!' when someone gets blasted.

Its all a bit distasteful and very, very lame...... 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 06:38:17 am
The difference is that you're not trying to be a professional climber, you're not promoting a sponsor, and there isn't a video of you posted on most climbing news sites. Whether this is Carlo's fault or not, it is crass behaviour at best and offensive at worst, and he doesn't distance himself from it. It does nothing to promote the sport and makes boulderers look like idiots. After Carlo's last few videos, if I were a sponsor I'd be seriously thinking of dropping him - this is hardly "brand ambassador" behaviour. If bouldering was a mainstream sport he'd be vilified for this.

Fortunately none of this is a problem because if his sponsors don't like the video they'll drop him and his prominence will diminish due to less time being available to exclusively climb.

In fact if anyone is really put out by the crassness of the video then why not write to his sponsors and let them know how you feel?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:55:35 am by slack---line »

blacky

• addict
#22 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 12:50:16 pm
why not write to his sponsors and let them know how you feel?

Flippin 'eck, that's a bit vindictive, non? Give the guy a break, he's only 22 and probably not completley aware of the responsibility that comes with being an uber-wad. I know I was certainly not very sensible at that age. On the video he does, to be fair, seem to condone the comments but he was probably just trying to be polite to one of his mates by giving him a response to some obviously dumb banter, perhaps not thinking the said mate would be stupid enough to put that stuff on the internet.

Certainly an error of judgement by Traversi, for not either checking the video before it was posted or not making his buddy remove the pointless banter before the (crap) footage was posted, but not a flagrant abuse of his position. If i was his sponser i'd be having a quiet word in his ear about vetting videos more closely rather than dropping him.

As I understand it "Raping" is a term used widely in computer gaming, which is a lot bigger in the states than here, and is probably therefore more acceptable to American ears than our sensitive little British shell-likes...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 01:03:23 pm
why not write to his sponsors and let them know how you feel?

Flippin 'eck, that's a bit vindictive, non? Give the guy a break, he's only 22 and probably not completley aware of the responsibility that comes with being an uber-wad.

Would be more effective than moaning about it here though.

If i was his sponser i'd be having a quiet word in his ear about vetting videos more closely rather than dropping him.

Perhaps any sponsors are blissfully unaware, and without it being bought to their attention it will remain that way.

As I understand it "Raping" is a term used widely in computer gaming, which is a lot bigger in the states than here, and is probably therefore more acceptable to American ears than our sensitive little British shell-likes...

See comment from Carnage above.

Stubbs

#24 Re: Carlo Traversi video; The Game
March 14, 2011, 01:11:42 pm

Flippin 'eck, that's a bit vindictive, non? Give the guy a break, he's only 22 and probably not completley aware of the responsibility that comes with being an uber-wad.

Ahem http://www.proclimbers.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal