UKBouldering.com

DFBWGC..and look thin (Read 10218 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 02:43:44 pm
If by short you mean me then yes, that's absolutely fine.

Don't take that shit stand up for yourself Nik! Oh you are standing up. Sorry, guess that's the short and the short of it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#26 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 02:52:14 pm
Ironically Summit life insurance (via the BMC) haven't yet processed our application as when asked my weight and height they've told me I'm too light for my height and need to confirm whether or not I have an eating disorder.

I feel a rant coming on!

Seems like a fair question actuarially

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 02:54:23 pm
maybe you're  :fishing:

BUT bollocks does it; its down to people relying on shitty BMI calculations for everything irrespective of body type etc.

Waist to Hip Ratio Chart
Male                    Female           Health Risk Based Solely on WHR
0.95 or below      0.80 or below   Low Risk
0.96 to 1.0      0.81 to 0.85   Moderate Risk
1.0+                    0.85+           High Risk

I fall in low risk. Unlike in BMI.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:11:07 pm by Paul B »

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#28 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 03:17:47 pm
So perhaps the fair and even- handed approach would be to discourage all comments rather than only permitting nice & pretty compliments.
You're probably right, yes, personally I see no harm in people making what are obviously complimentary comments but I see your point.

At one point I managed to fall into the obese category from BMI while still fitting in size 8 clothes, it's a load of shite.  The waist to hip thing is much more sensible.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#29 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 03:24:00 pm
Ironically Summit life insurance (via the BMC) haven't yet processed our application as when asked my weight and height they've told me I'm too light for my height and need to confirm whether or not I have an eating disorder.

I feel a rant coming on!

Finally a disadvantage to being light like P-Rob!  :P

account_inactive

• forum hero
#30 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 11:58:53 pm
I don't care if the girls are small or large in that thread.  We should celebrate all sizes.

I was arguing that being skinny is not exclusive to being an elite climber. 

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#31 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 05, 2011, 01:25:47 pm
I am pretty short and thin and accept this as my body shape as that's what it is! But if someone said I was too short and too thin I would cry.

What if they mentioned your hairy hobbit feet and stubby fingers? That a step too far and something I wouldn't like to see.

:tease:

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 05, 2011, 02:01:39 pm
I don't care if the girls are small or large in that thread.  We should celebrate all sizes.

I was arguing that being skinny is not exclusive to being an elite climber.

There's certainly one heavily featured (as in; pops up a lot, nothing perverse!) female climber from DFBWGC who is anything but 'skinny' (she has shoulders I'm envious of) and is an absolute beast.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#33 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 06, 2011, 12:07:35 am
If she was a healthy norm of human physique she'd be a sub-elite boulderer. She's a healthy elite athlete. In men single figure body fat is perfectly normal for elite athletes, as is the female equivalent.

Googling brings up that typical values for elite athletes are 6% to 12% for men and 12% to 20% for women. Wilmore and Costill (1994).

Women need to have a higher % of body fat than men because they have a deeper biological craving for crisps and chocolates (Lee and Lagers 2011).

indeed, sorry if i was unclear. that's what i meant by equivalent. single figure body fat except with added boobies

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 06, 2011, 10:17:09 am
[wading in]

I thought the original picture was not good - and I would not have posted it up.. I worked with a guy c.15 years ago who had Anorexia. We always guessed something was wrong on the eating disorder front, as he seemed to exist on black coffee and the odd digestive biscuit.. This was sadly confirmed when he collapsed one morning in his shower and died. post morten revealed.. and all that... Not good.

[/wading out]

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 08, 2011, 09:51:11 am
post morten

They didn't have the same sound as they did with Morten.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal