UKBouldering.com

DFBWGC..and look thin (Read 10238 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
DFBWGC..and look thin
March 02, 2011, 08:53:08 pm
No apology from me, if people are posting pictures that are so far from a healthy norm of human physique - in this thread, when there's already a thread for it elsewhere - then it's hardly surprising if they get a mixed response.

No complaint about being censored though, that is fair enough.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 06:14:34 pm
No apology from me, if people are posting pictures that are so far from a healthy norm of human physique - in this thread, when there's already a thread for it elsewhere - then it's hardly surprising if they get a mixed response.

No complaint about being censored though, that is fair enough.

That's nonsense

If she was a healthy norm of human physique she'd be a sub-elite boulderer. She's a healthy elite athlete. In men single figure body fat is perfectly normal for elite athletes, as is the female equivalent.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 07:05:39 pm
I beg to differ there.  There are plenty of women climbers with a "norm" body weight.

philo

• forum hero
#3 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 08:11:58 pm
who are we to judge anyways

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 08:15:56 pm
I beg to differ there.  There are plenty of women climbers with a "norm" body weight.

Meant to add the word 'elite' to that

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 08:18:30 pm
There are healthy people with lower than normal height/ weight ratios, too.

My BMI is well into what charts say is dangerous and I imagine it has been my whole life. I'm far from an elite athlete and for 13 years did very little exercise and have always eaten exactly what I wanted (although I've never been a heavy drinker and have been teetotal for 5 years). Until she had a kid, my sister was just as skinny and made as little effort (ie. none) to be that way as I do. Many people on my Dad's side of the family are like us: my Grandad was apparently a legend in the army as being the lightest 6-footer to ever be passed A1 fit for his division: this was back when the common perception of a 'normal' weight was a lot lower than it is now.

As a guy you just get called 'skinny fucker' etc. for girls it must be rough as many people think it's a positive anti-eating disorder move to express disdain and even physical repulsion at anyone that they judge to be unhealthy looking.

Obviously eating disorders are a real problem and not to be taken lightly or brushed under the carpet (and maybe this girl is unhealthy), but some people are just really skinny by nature.       

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 08:27:57 pm
My BMI is well into what charts say is dangerous and I imagine it has been my whole life. I'm far from an elite athlete and for 13 years did very little exercise and have always eaten exactly what I wanted

I'd say I'm about the same... except I'm usually referred to as a "fat fucker"!   :'(

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 10:03:53 pm

My BMI is well into what charts say is dangerous and I imagine it has been my whole life. I'm far from an elite athlete and for 13 years did very little exercise and have always eaten exactly what I wanted (although I've never been a heavy drinker and have been teetotal for 5 years). Until she had a kid, my sister was just as skinny and made as little effort (ie. none) to be that way as I do. Many people on my Dad's side of the family are like us: my Grandad was apparently a legend in the army as being the lightest 6-footer to ever be passed A1 fit for his division: this was back when the common perception of a 'normal' weight was a lot lower than it is now.

As a guy you just get called 'skinny fucker' etc. for girls it must be rough as many people think it's a positive anti-eating disorder move to express disdain and even physical repulsion at anyone that they judge to be unhealthy looking.

Obviously eating disorders are a real problem and not to be taken lightly or brushed under the carpet (and maybe this girl is unhealthy), but some people are just really skinny by nature.       

I'm not arguing with that.  Pyschomansam said that she wouldn't be elite if she was heavier.  That's bullshit

psychomansam

• forum hero
#8 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 03, 2011, 11:24:29 pm
I'm not arguing with that.  Pyschomansam said that she wouldn't be elite if she was heavier.  That's bullshit

:jab:

Now now, if we're going to be pedantic... I said she'd be sub-elite if she was a healthy norm of human physique.

Ideally as a climber you should have low body fat, but you should also have lots of abnormal muscles. If she had healthy normal forearms for instance we'd be in trouble....

Can someone please either put a photo up or delete this entire conversation. We're ruining this thread! 
 :slap:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 08:29:18 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 09:47:33 am

My BMI is well into what charts say is dangerous and I imagine it has been my whole life.

BMI is a poor indicator of body-fat for the simple reason that muscle is heavier than fat, waist-hip ratio is more reliable (but its hard to fight against years of entrenchment of using BMI).

Its not necessarily judging though, its expressing an opinion.  Fiend is saying he likes curvaceous arses and nice lady bumps (albeit in a slightly inconsiderate turn of phrase).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 09:55:13 am

Its not necessarily judging though, its expressing an opinion.  Fiend is saying he likes curvaceous arses and nice lady bumps (albeit in a slightly inconsiderate turn of phrase).

Or put more subtly:
NSFW  :

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#12 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 11:56:19 am

EXACTLY, commenting on people for being too skinny is no more acceptable than judging them because you deem them to be too fat.  Yes there are probably some really skinny girls with health or eating problems but there are also plenty who are just naturally very slim and can do very little about it.

The last thing women, especially young women, need is any more pressure and hassle to look a certain way, from anyone.  Unnecessary comments about girls being too thin are just as bad as all the shit that goes on in the media about people needing to be a certain size and how we should all lose weight / want to be a size 0.

BULLSHIT and quite rightly edited out of the DFBWGC thread, there is no more a place for comments against the slim than there is for comments about the more curvaceous.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 12:01:27 pm
AND, while I am on my soapbox.

Its not necessarily judging though, its expressing an opinion.
Last I checked the party line for DFBWGC thread was that expressing positive opinions was fine but the negative ones, and the overly smutty stuff could be left unsaid.  Unfair?   Maybe.   Not very like real life?  Probably not, but the pictures on there are of real people, some of whom have apparently been a bit uncomfortable about being featured, so it seems more sensible all round for us to just leave anything that could be taken as insulting in our heads. 

Thumper's mum was wise; if you can't say anything nice then shut the fuck up. [/Disney reference]

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 12:33:59 pm
commenting on people for being too skinny is no more acceptable than judging them because you deem them to be too fat. 

Oh come on. If you can't laugh and point at fat people then what's left of a civilised society.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:39:35 pm
So perhaps the fair and even- handed approach would be to discourage all comments rather than only permitting nice & pretty compliments.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#16 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:42:05 pm
Oh come on. If you can't laugh and point at fat people then what's left of a civilised society.

No offence, but fuck off you sunken eyed, hollow cheeked, bony freak

obviously, I aim this only at Jasper and would never say such a thing to anyone who might take it the wrong way or even write/say it anywhere where such people might read it and feel bad about themselves.. oh...  arse... a full refund will be made to your credit card - those who paid cash will have to pursue the matter through the small claims court

It is still OK to laugh at short people though, isn't it ?

nik at work

• forum hero
#17 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:43:13 pm
If by short you mean me then yes, that's absolutely fine.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#18 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:44:27 pm
in that case, you can laugh at my over-nourished waistline

nik at work

• forum hero
#19 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:47:23 pm
I always found your baldy slap head more amusing than your wobbley gut.

chummer

• forum abuser
#20 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:49:35 pm
Oh for fucks sake!

I really don't see anything wrong with expressing the opinion (or fact) that somebody is fat or skinny, or short or tall for that matter. It's generally a matter of fact.

Maybe the point is that the addition of 'too' makes it seem judgmental and therefore offensive.
I am pretty short and thin and accept this as my body shape as that's what it is! But if someone said I was too short and too thin I would cry.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#21 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:51:49 pm
I always found your baldy slap head more amusing than your wobbley gut.

you haven't seen the results of my post-Xmas 10 week binge

overall, people should not comment on other peoples appearance unless they are friends with someone who has the same features that are being commented on - make sure you say something like

Quote from: Jim Davidson
some of my best friends are bald/thin/blonde etc

before each otherwise offensive comment

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#22 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 01:56:42 pm
being a dick aside, I go with what Magpie said

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#23 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 02:13:07 pm
If she was a healthy norm of human physique she'd be a sub-elite boulderer. She's a healthy elite athlete. In men single figure body fat is perfectly normal for elite athletes, as is the female equivalent.

Googling brings up that typical values for elite athletes are 6% to 12% for men and 12% to 20% for women. Wilmore and Costill (1994).

Women need to have a higher % of body fat than men because they have a deeper biological craving for crisps and chocolates (Lee and Lagers 2011).

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: DFBWGC..and look thin
March 04, 2011, 02:42:14 pm
Ironically Summit life insurance (via the BMC) haven't yet processed our application as when asked my weight and height they've told me I'm too light for my height and need to confirm whether or not I have an eating disorder.

I feel a rant coming on!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal