UKBouldering.com

alpkit phud (Read 8055 times)

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
alpkit phud
February 22, 2011, 11:03:24 pm
bought one of these as a 3rd mat for my font trip and it arrived today and my thoughts?well the foam doesnt seem very good quality,the top layer is rock hard and im worried it isnt going to last very long.also i wouldn'y like to land on the join as theres too big a gap between both sides which is better for folding but not for landing on.hopefully my worries will be unfounded when i try it outside sometime this week otherwise im hoping they will take it back.
anyone have some feedback on this?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: alpkit phud
February 22, 2011, 11:08:58 pm
Will it fit in the back front of a Maranello?

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: alpkit phud
February 22, 2011, 11:50:20 pm
doubtful but i do believe theres some good roof bars for sale at halfrauds that are designed specifically to fit a bouldering mat to the roof of a 550/575 :P

stokesy

• regular
#3 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 12:27:13 am
Dunno about the foam quality, mines been fine but iv not used many expensive pads to compare it with and iv only had it since the autumn. I spose u get what u pay for, their cheaper than most pads but arent quite the same quality as say DMM or Moon.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#4 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 07:34:59 am
I've had mine for a three or so years now and it's lasted pretty well ..... Foam's absolutely fine , the fittings aren't as good as they could be , but for seventy quid delivered to my door I still think I got a bargain .....

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 07:46:11 am
You pays yer money.... I think they're great for the price. But they have a seam (so theres a natural weakness) and the foam went sogoid after about a year on mine... I'm now a team SNAP fan...

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 08:42:48 am
I've had one almost a year now and its done me well all this time. As far as quality for money goes I dont think you can really beat it.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 11:47:35 am
Mine also lasting ok, apart from one of the closure straps which I have bodged, I personally think the foam is one of the highlights of the mat, it does feel firm pushing with your hand, but when you actually land on it, it but stops you bottoming out as you can on some softer mats.  Starting firmer also lets it still be firm enough when it softens.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#8 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 06:46:25 pm
I had one previously, it was quite good but the foam softened earlier than it would on a better quality mat. I'd say that a phud is great if you only boulder occasionally, or you are really on a budget, otherwise it's worth going a bit more up market. I've got a dmm highball now - the foam is noticeably better, it's got better features/build quality, and it's already lasted longer than my phud did without going soft. The highball seems to me to be one of the best value good quality hinged mats out there (I don't really like taco mats).

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: alpkit phud
February 23, 2011, 09:26:46 pm
im comparing it to my other two mats,moon saturn and black diamond impact.fair enough i expected it to be less quality for £80 as opposed to £200 for a saturn its just first impressions dont seem very good.will find out tomorrow when im out

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: alpkit phud
February 24, 2011, 06:01:48 pm
didnt use mine today but a mate has one that he's had for 6 months and the top foam seems to have softened up ok but the gap inbetween the two sides is still a worry for me

ghisino

• forum abuser
#11 Re: alpkit phud
February 27, 2011, 04:45:27 pm
i have two phuds, one is 2 years old and just got new foam the second is new.

yest the hinge would be a major problem in some cases. If i was bouldering a lot in talus-like spots i'd stay away.

as far as the foam goes i'd say it would last 100 to 200 days out, based on my own experience (assuming its quality is consistent from one year to the other).
Not snap quality but you can get much worse stuff...

for my budget and size requirements (the two largest pads that fit in VW lupo and i am willing to carry for 20 mins - both of them) i still think it's a good pick.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal