UKBouldering.com

Calories, Bodyfat and Training (Read 7668 times)

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 09:50:26 am
Folks

Does anyone know roughly how many calories you need to burn to remove 1lb of bodyfat??  Also does anyone know if there are any established/estimated figures for the amount of calories burnt per hour on an average wall bouldering session - I know the term average is generic as f*ck but since everyone is different I figure it always will be a ball-park figure. Am tracking my energy in vs energy out via exercise and want to see if I tally up to the established/average stats  :-\ or of if I need to monitor the food intake even more closely due to a slow metabolism etc.

All feedback appreciated  :)

Cheers All, H

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 10:03:33 am

Pebblespanker

• stalker
#2 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 10:15:31 am
Cheers much appreciated

psychomansam

• forum hero
#3 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 11:50:00 am
. Am tracking my energy in vs energy out via exercise and want to see if I tally up to the established/average stats  :-\ or of if I need to monitor the food intake even more closely due to a slow metabolism etc.

All feedback appreciated  :)

Cheers All, H

Well your slow metabolism can't make you take on more calories from food, so calories in will be the same, but like you say the averages for energy expenditure are rough centrepoints for a fairly wide range. On the other hand if you get these weight-adjusted they do become reasonably accurate. You'll learn pretty quick though what food you need if you have a regular lifestyle - it just becomes much more difficult to balance calories if you're constantly changing the amount of exercise you're doing

Think about what form your calories are taking as well as just quantity. Try and keep fat in your diet to below 10%. If you eat the right stuff your body can use it for recovery. If you eat the wrong stuff it hinders recovery and gets stored as yummy fat.

Also, think long term. Change your habits, change your tastes, educate yourself, change what you want. It's the only thing that'll work. Short term solutions have short term effects.

p.s. Fat/diet/calorie percentages get confusing since fat per gram provides more than twice the calories, so... if your diet is 10% fat, and the rest is protein and carbs you'll be gaining 22.5% of calories from fat. Of course that only works in food that are pure solid energy, which is rarely the case - it starts to make your head hurt after a while. Common sense seems to work though
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:56:17 am by psychomansam »

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 12:33:07 pm
I equate a bouldering session to about 500-600 calories. Based on some rubbish I read on the web. Ie little SCIENCE ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 01:00:24 pm
slow metabolism is usually only present as a result of a diagnosed metabolic disoder or so i read.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
#6 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 01:42:16 pm
I have been called disorderly before but I don't have a diagnosed problem that I am aware of  :shrug: , just always had a a little too much spare and had to work very hard to remove it. I have assumed my metabolic rate is slower than some as I have relatively skinny mates who seem to able to eat all sorts and not pile on the blubber, barstards, how it compares to the average metabolism christ knows  :shrug:

My diet contains as little saturated fat as possible in an attempt to mitigate its effect e.g. sarnies made with no butter or marg, olive oil in moderation for any frying in conjunction with non-stick pans etc. It is fairly carb and fibre heavy but I'm comfy with that and the consumption of sweets cakes etc is low as diabetes runs through the family plus I've seen once healthy (non-climbing mates) become diabetic through poor diet and a love for all things sweet. Now that I am training regularly again the lifestyle is in check and food intake is pretty controlled and varies little. Am hoping I can shift another 10lbs by May ... to help this I am honestly tracking what I eat each day to get a better picture of what I am actually consuming in terms of carbs, fats and protein and perhaps stop bullshitting myself how healthy my diet actually is lol!

I'll use the figures below to see how I go,  a ball-park figure is much better than none! cheers guys

psychomansam

• forum hero
#7 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 01:48:29 pm
I hate people who eat shitloads and put no weight on too. But take heart, they'll probably die of a coronary at 50

Re: slower metabolism

To solve this:

The hippies say drink green tea
The anorexics say eat little and often
The chefs say eat spicy food
The health freaks say drink water
The doctor says do some cv exercise

I wouldn't ask for too much science though; but i do the lot  (caveat: i drink green tea because i like it and don't actually have much spicy food)

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 02:25:21 pm
what you often hear is thin people who eat loads and fat people who eat nothing.however when you actually get people to keep a food diary the reality is usually the fatties eat loads of stuff and the thin ones don't eat that much.

as a colleague of mine was told by her G.P. when she complained to him"I always eat healthily lots of whole foods,no sugary things and low fat foods but I don't lose any weight" "Try putting less in your mouth"

psychomansam

• forum hero
#9 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 04:24:55 pm
yeah, definitions of eating 'lots' vary massively. I know people who'd consider a sausage roll, mars bar and coke as a snack not worth mentioning and others who think a bowl of fat free vegetable soup is a wholesome meal and tell you they've 'been a fatty' afterwards.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#10 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 06:10:58 pm
Brown fat vs white fat. The brown stuff is mostly distributed over back and is somehow involved in regulating metabolism, not as an energy store like the yellowy-white stuff. Mice with greater quantities of brown fat respond to increased calorie intake with an increase in metabolic rate ie burn more off than those with lower amounts of brown fat. Humans are similar. Apparently.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#11 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 21, 2011, 06:48:09 pm
that there is some crazy shit, the yakult of the fat world - except apparently supported by science rather than japanese schoolgirls

:whistle:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#12 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 11:50:32 am
Things which are genetically determined aren't worth stressing over though. Another thought: whilst saturated fats aren't a great foodstuff, fat being the base of hormones, cell walls etc you do need some in your diet. Cutting it out altogether does not result in an efficient body.

I was climbing at Volx one winter and really cut out the fat for a few weeks, living on pasta etc. I was also trying a couple of routes, a grade or two under my limit but still hard for me, and going backwards. So I cracked, quit for the day, went to the bakery and ate: 2 massive chausson aux pommes and an entire packet of those Prince chocolate sandwich biscuits. Once back at the campsite we had a monster meal of pasta, cheese, beans etc. Both routes were despatched easily the next day. There's a moral in there somewhere I think: eat more chaussons aux pommes. :whistle:

edit: it may not have been an ENTIRE packet of Prince biscuits: I strongly suspect Fatdoc may have stolen some while I was distracted by the 2nd chausson aux pommes.

iain

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 02:20:25 pm
an entire packet of those Prince chocolate sandwich biscuits

A kindred spirit !  :beer2:

They are so, so good.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 02:30:21 pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight-Matt-Fitzgerald/dp/1934030511/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298384868&sr=1-1

Got lots of good SCIENCE in it. Aimed at endurance athletes but lots that can be adapted. has a chaper on basal metabolic rates and how to figure yours out.

Recommended by Dave Mac which is how i came across it. Diet quality scoring chapter was worth it alone for me.

chris05

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 02:31:37 pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight-Matt-Fitzgerald/dp/1934030511/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298384868&sr=1-1

Got lots of good SCIENCE in it. Aimed at endurance athletes but lots that can be adapted. has a chaper on basal metabolic rates and how to figure yours out.

Recommended by Dave Mac which is how i came across it. Diet quality scoring chapter was worth it alone for me.
:agree:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#16 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 02:49:25 pm
I'm tempted, and i do have a good stone or so of fat I could do with losing (i'm about 15 stone 4, so it's not proportionately as much as it sounds), but i'm currently managing to improve things slowly anyway, so not entirely convinced i need to read it. How good is the science, does it have cauldrons and things?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#17 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 02:52:10 pm
Recommends half a kilo of frogs legs per cauldron. French have been at it for years. Apparently.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#18 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 03:04:23 pm
I'm tempted, and i do have a good stone or so of fat I could do with losing (i'm about 15 stone 4, so it's not proportionately as much as it sounds), but i'm currently managing to improve things slowly anyway, so not entirely convinced i need to read it. How good is the science, does it have cauldrons and things?

he seems to have the qualifications, experience and reputation in his own field ( triathlon ) and is well respected in sport in general. Dave Mac reckons his science is good.

He speaks a lot of common sense and has loads of tips on how to get on top of your diet properly and looks into t alot of the misinformation about slow metabolism, taking supplements etc.

I thought my diet was pretty healthy until i read this. Now i know it is - since dropping the crap it highlighted.

As to whether it's worth it i guess that's down to you. It's an easy read not a technical manual and i can't see it doing any harm for less than a ten pound note.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
February 22, 2011, 03:18:41 pm
Its only four fuck-alls anyway, not going to break the bank even if you don't read it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#20 Re: Calories, Bodyfat and Training
April 24, 2011, 08:38:19 pm
Honestly, I went from 86kg eight months ago; to 75kg now. Most of the weight poured off in the last 4 months. Just started to be sensible about what I eat and started training properly (three times a week, climb at weekend (or extra training session if wet)). Since I've built up some serious strength on the wall and Muscle weighs more than fat, I must have lost more than 11kg of fat (I think theres some logic there....). I'm in my forties so, in theory, it should be harder for me; it wasn't. Eating sensibly means smaller portions mainly. If I really need a burger, then I just order a smaller one than before and try not to do it more than once a month. Bulk up on fruit when desperate and don't keep snack crap round the house. My grades have gone right back up to where they were in my 20's. Train hard, keep the Lasagne small, simples.... Oh yeah, I laid off the beer :sick:. :wavecry:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal