UKBouldering.com

Training to Close a CoC1 (Read 2125 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Training to Close a CoC1
January 28, 2011, 10:30:47 am
Hi,
   ok so im relatively rubbish at pinching. Wonna train to close a CoC1 which i am currently pathetically not able to. and figure although it may or maynot be 100% applicable to similar rock pinch strength, its a measureable goal for training.

Specifically using those tools below does anyone know of a simple training plan which has worked for the CoC grippers? 

Got a Captains of crush No1 and a adjustable gripper which adjusts up to about two-thirds of the poundage of the CoC1.

Cheers
Tim

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 04, 2011, 02:59:37 pm
bump?

:please:

anyone?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 04, 2011, 03:03:10 pm
Squeeze.....really hard.  :P

chris05

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 04, 2011, 03:05:15 pm
I am no expert but I'm not sure how transferable gains from this type of device are to climbing.

Not much help but I guess using the CoC regularly will help?

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 04, 2011, 04:03:47 pm
I'd suggest being born like Huffy, failing that try and be like Huffy.

rodma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 04, 2011, 04:52:19 pm
There is a technique, that is not that dissimilar to climbing. You have to learn how to grip it so that when your hand closes it is in the strongest position. Try using the other hand to assist with the close, slowly release and see what position your hand ends up in.

I have tiny hands, so barely have my back two on at the start. If i turn the CoC slightly in my hand, I can get my back two on, but this leaves my hand in a weak position for actually closing it.

Just experiment a bit, but don't explode your hand

[edit]

have just put my CoC in my hand and have remembered exactly how it likes being held.

Turn your hand so that the edge of it is facing you with your thumb and index finger forming a V.

Slide one handle of the CoC tightly down into the bottom of the V (using your other hand) and then reach your fingers around the other handle. The most important part is to use the other hand to keep the first handle down in the bottom of the V whilst you are reaching around with your fingers and starting to squeeze. This will prevent the CoC from rotating into a position where you are trying to close it between your fingers and thumb, rather than fingers and palm.

[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:00:01 pm by rodma »

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: Training to Close a CoC1
February 05, 2011, 10:01:25 am
close it using other hand too, squeeze like crazy take off other hand, keep squeezing trying to hold it closed for few secs and release slowly. repeat. i enjoy doing a few hand pumps first before fully tryin to squeeze the shaft

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal