UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 214963 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#150 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 03, 2013, 05:31:34 pm
My dad seems to like the beans from Beanshop.co.uk. Not tried them myself. Nice folks that run the place though so give it a shot but if it's crap I'm sorry...

(it's actually quite hard to strip the caffeine without stripping some flavour)

rich d

• forum hero
#151 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 03, 2013, 10:48:25 pm
Can anyone recommend a decent decaff coffee? I've been off caffeine for a couple of months now and am really struggling to find something I like. I tried the only decaff beans that http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ do and I wasn't too keen. Generally, when I have a decaff coffee 'out' it always seems pretty good.

Decaf? Nearly puntered you for that, but hopefully you're just clearing out your receptors before dong some huge alpine push where you need all the advantage that caffeine can give you a la mark twight.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#152 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2013, 08:51:14 am
Decaf? Nearly puntered you for that, but hopefully you're just clearing out your receptors before dong some huge alpine push where you need all the advantage that caffeine can give you a la mark twight.

Aha! So I'm not the only person who reads Extreme Alpinism in order to feel proper gnarly before going out to do some tame puntering. Steve House's training book is due out soon too. I will also be studying that carefully, because the alpine stuff I do is totally like climbing directissimas on Nanga Parbat.

At the risk of appearing On Topic: I notice you're in Nottingham. I had some Sumatra from St Martin's in Leicester the other week that was well excellent.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:24:10 am by Muenchener »

T_B

• forum hero
#153 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2013, 10:52:23 am
Can anyone recommend a decent decaff coffee? I've been off caffeine for a couple of months now and am really struggling to find something I like. I tried the only decaff beans that http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ do and I wasn't too keen. Generally, when I have a decaff coffee 'out' it always seems pretty good.

I thought I might get that reaction. It's just a brief hiatus until I get to the bottom of a health issue. I've actually been drinking tons of coffee cos I'm also off the booze, so when I do switch back to caffeinated I'm gonna be wired if I'm not careful :bounce:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#155 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 07, 2013, 01:57:59 pm
interesting read slackers.
In case no one clicks on the link to it in the coffee experiments blog this site is worth a browse, coffee machine pron for $11,000  :o
http://www.blossomcoffee.com/

petejh

• forum hero
#156 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 07, 2013, 02:05:02 pm
 :lol: :clap2: Brilliant. Thank you Slackers!

'Dr Bunsen's' conclusion:
I’ve examined other coffee variables using a similar experimental approach and found only a few factors that had any measurable effect on coffee flavor in isolation. For example, variables like bean freshness or bean purveyor has little effect on flavor. As a result of these experiments, my brewing setup is simple, quick, and inexpensive. I buy the cheapest whole-bean shade-grown coffee I can find in my preferred roast. To brew a cup of coffee, I grind the beans with a blade grinder and brew with the Aeropress. The Aeropress and blade grinder can be found on Amazon for around $25. The entire brewing process takes about 5 minutes and produces great coffee. Until I obtain convincing evidence that support investing additional money in brewing accouterments, I see little reason to deviate from this system. In the words of Carl Sagan, extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary evidence.

I love the tale of Steve Job's 'reality distortion field' in action, and this quote:
In 2007, Richard E Quandt, a Princeton economics professor, published a paper entitled "On Wine Bullshit: Some New Software?" The study sought to describe the "unholy union" of "bullshit and bullshit artists who are impelled to comment on it", in this case wine and wine critics. Quandt compiled a "vocabulary of wine descriptors" containing 123 terms from "angular" to "violets" via other nonsense descriptions such as "fireplace" and "tannins, fine-grained".

Then, with the help of colleagues, he built an algorithm that generated wine reviews of hypothetical wines using his "vocabulary of bullshit". For instance: "Château L'Ordure Pomerol, 2004. Fine minerality, dried apricots and cedar characterise this sage-laden wine bursting with black fruit and toasty oak." He concluded that whether his reviews were "any more bullshit" than real ones was a "judgment call". Sadly, he didn't explore how long it would take a monkey to type a wine review.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#157 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 07, 2013, 02:14:29 pm

I love the tale of Steve Job's 'reality distortion field' in action, and this quote:
In 2007, Richard E Quandt, a Princeton economics professor, published a paper entitled "On Wine Bullshit: Some New Software?" The study sought to describe the "unholy union" of "bullshit and bullshit artists who are impelled to comment on it", in this case wine and wine critics. Quandt compiled a "vocabulary of wine descriptors" containing 123 terms from "angular" to "violets" via other nonsense descriptions such as "fireplace" and "tannins, fine-grained".

Then, with the help of colleagues, he built an algorithm that generated wine reviews of hypothetical wines using his "vocabulary of bullshit". For instance: "Château L'Ordure Pomerol, 2004. Fine minerality, dried apricots and cedar characterise this sage-laden wine bursting with black fruit and toasty oak." He concluded that whether his reviews were "any more bullshit" than real ones was a "judgment call". Sadly, he didn't explore how long it would take a monkey to type a wine review.

There is the essay by Harry G Frankfurt On Bullshit (great little book, well worth reading if you've time to kill) and the vaguely related Postmodernism Generator.  There are also other automated paper generators online.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:32:20 pm by slackline »

petejh

• forum hero
#158 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 07, 2013, 02:16:01 pm
Yeah I owned that little book when I lived in Canada but lost it on moving back to UK. I really should hunt down another copy it's a great guide.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#159 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 12:28:42 pm
Yeah I owned that little book when I lived in Canada but lost it on moving back to UK. I really should hunt down another copy it's a great guide.

Roughly two fuck-alls (and not from Amazon)

In a similar vein this is an interesting blog post by Robin Ince on "being a free-thinker".

petejh

• forum hero
#160 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 03:01:06 pm
I'm a step ahead.. arrived yesterday :)

Also got 'On Truth'.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#161 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 03:01:55 pm
http://www.drbunsen.org/coffee-experiments/  :geek:

I want to:
A. partly agree with the above and
B. partly call Bullshit on it.

There are massive variables between people. About a quarter of people are supertasters for starters. So that totally fucks with things like bitterness, which is a very big deal with coffee.

Then you've got to think about sense of smell. Apart from very basics tastes (sweet/sour/salt/bitter/umami), it comes down to your nose. I love the smell of Diesel. Some people hate it. Some people quite clearly have a far more sensitive sense of smell than others. Preferred smells change and preferred tastes change to.

Part of the fun of coffee or other fine foods or drinks can be trying to detect very subtle changes in flavour, be those based on the tongue, mouthfeel or smells. It can be an enjoyable hunt for flavours, smells and associations. The subtlety can be part of what makes it such a worthwhile exploration. The subjectivity is all part of that.

So,
A:
Those 'studies' at best show what the average idea of a decent coffee might be to the average person. For most people, a 'good' coffee is probably one that wasn't made by Nestle'. Or perhaps it's one that tastes most like a Nestle' product. I've got no problem with that. Fine.
B:
But to run a trial and claim to come to conclusive, somehow objective, results about what constitutes a good coffee is bullshit. To do it by trialling with subjects who aren't in fact interested connoisseurs is even worse bullshit.

A classic example of a scientist using empirical evidence, misapplying it and then over-generalising as if they get paid to.

My stomach is fucked. I can't drink coffee, alcohol, tea, anything acidic, eat spicy food or have dark chocolate. For someone with my tastes this is majorly majorly shit.
So about all I can drink is herbal teas. Most of which are shit. I've got one at the moment that isn't. I love it. It's a mix, among other things, of cinnamon, licorice root and cocoa beans. It makes me happy. I love the smell. I love the taste.
I asked my two housemates to try it. One said it just tasted of cinnamon. The other said it tasted of water. I suppose that means it's shit then? I'll stop enjoying it shall I? It's a waste of money and I should go for the cheaper option? Bullshit.

p.s. I audio-booked Frankfurt's 'On Bullshit' on the way back from Font at easter. Great stuff, but then I am a philosopher.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:09:25 pm by psychomansam »

petejh

• forum hero
#162 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 03:25:12 pm
But to run a trial and claim to come to conclusive, somehow objective, results about what constitutes a good coffee is bullshit. To do it by trialling with subjects who aren't in fact interested connoisseurs is even worse bullshit.

One of his points (implied by the wine-tasting link) is that 'interested connoisseurs' can't tell the difference between supposed superior/inferior product and have kidded themselves and others that they can - the hilariously-labelled 'reality distortion field', whilst inventing a lexicon of bullshit to make their 'knowledge' sound legit.

He also says his guests/guinea pigs all own burr grinders - he had to borrow them for his experiment as he only owns a blade-grinder - implying the guinea-pigs are all pretty keen on their coffee (N.A. is still well ahead of the UK in terms of people being well into their coffee). Yet in the blind tests the guests didn't show any preference for burr-ground, instead showing a slight preference for blade-ground.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#163 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 03:48:37 pm

One of his points (implied by the wine-tasting link) is that 'interested connoisseurs' can't tell the difference between supposed superior/inferior product and have kidded themselves and others that they can - the hilariously-labelled 'reality distortion field', whilst inventing a lexicon of bullshit to make their 'knowledge' sound legit.

He also says his guests/guinea pigs all own burr grinders - he had to borrow them for his experiment as he only owns a blade-grinder - implying the guinea-pigs are all pretty keen on their coffee (N.A. is still well ahead of the UK in terms of people being well into their coffee). Yet in the blind tests the guests didn't show any preference for burr-ground, instead showing a slight preference for blade-ground.

I highlighted the solid science in bold there. To me, it could equally be that they're middle class sheeple.

There's certainly BS in tasting notes, especially if you expect them to be object or transferrable as opposed to subjective and individually associative.

I've blind tasted coffees, wines and teas happily, identifying different products, different preparations and personal preferences.

Of those, personal preferences are probably the most subject to alteration, but I don't think that's surprising either.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#164 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 04:11:24 pm
I think you've over interpreted the aim of the work Sam.....I read it as a bit of fun with some formal numerical analysis to reassure himself that there is no need to buy an expensive coffee machine.  The sample size is woefully inadequate to make any generalisations as you've noted.

But I bet you there are some people out there who will go out and spend $11000 and claim it makes the most amazing coffee in the world (because they have to justify their expenditure to themselves, and they are likely regurgitating the advertising blurb).

@Pete : You might also enjoy "Irrationality : Why we don't think straight" by Stuart Sutherland (not overly technical but then it is a popular science book, but has some great examples).

psychomansam

• forum hero
#165 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 04:17:22 pm
I think you've over interpreted the aim of the work Sam.....I read it as a bit of fun with some formal numerical analysis to reassure himself that there is no need to buy an expensive coffee machine.  The sample size is woefully inadequate to make any generalisations as you've noted.

But I bet you there are some people out there who will go out and spend $11000 and claim it makes the most amazing coffee in the world (because they have to justify their expenditure to themselves, and they are likely regurgitating the advertising blurb).
@Pete : You might also enjoy "Irrationality : Why we don't think straight" by Stuart Sutherland (not overly technical but then it is a popular science book, but has some great examples).

"My experiment was designed to test what variables in the coffee brewing process produce a perceptible improvement in coffee flavor. A frequent assertion is that numerous variables must be carefully considered to brew a good cup of coffee. I wanted to know if this premise was true ... My main motivation for this experiment was to determine how I could brew the best coffee with minimal time and monetary investment. ... My main motivation for this experiment was to determine how I could brew the best coffee with minimal time and monetary investment....

I use the term experiments loosely throughout this post. I didn’t have the resources to setup a more thorough experimental design. Ideally, I would have liked to use better control conditions, larger sample sizes, more thorough subject randomization, and a more consistent testing environment"

Yes, he's up front about what he wants to do with the research but he still makes massive generalisation and even goes so far as to suggest that upscaling the experiment could reinforce these findings.

Yet my objections scale up perfectly well too. It appears you have misunderstood me slackers. Increasing the sample size wouldn't solve the fundamental problems with overly-general implications he is drawing from the data.

petejh

• forum hero
#166 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 04:32:41 pm
I highlighted the solid science in bold there. To me, it could equally be that they're middle class sheeple.
Presumably meaning that you think people who go out to buy burr-grinders on the recommendation of some guy telling them that 'blade grinders scorch the beans' are 'middle class sheeple'...  :P

Again, I'm not sure how you can tell that his subjects aren't 'interested connoisseurs'. You can't.
And the point of his fun little experiment is not to be the 'conclusive' last word, but rather to help highlight how there's a lot of guff talked by 'connoisseurs' about what equipment and ingredients are required for great-tasting coffee (and wine). His advice - cheapest shade-grown beans, cheap blade grinder and an aeropress = excellent coffee which his guinea pigs found preferable to coffee made using more expensive grinders and beans.

Keep the good book pointers coming Slackers!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#167 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 05:12:44 pm
Increasing the sample size wouldn't solve the fundamental problems with overly-general implications he is drawing from the data.

Yes it does, with larger sample sizes you can then perform more robust and valid sub-group analysis of for example "What are the factors that influence coffee preference in hypersensitive tasters?" (the 'Psychomansam sub-group') and compare and contrast this with "What are the factors that influence coffee preference in hypo-sensitive tasters?" (the 'Psychomansam's heathen house-mates sub-group').

Chop the larger sample size up anyway you like as long as you pre-specify your intentions and don't dredge the data, as over-stating the claims of sub-group analysis can land you in serious trouble (at least in the US).

Thats all rather  :off: though, its only coffee and shouldn't be taken too seriously, regardless of the wording of the blog post.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#168 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 05:29:49 pm
Presumably meaning that you think people who go out to buy burr-grinders on the recommendation of some guy telling them that 'blade grinders scorch the beans' are 'middle class sheeple'...  :P

Again, I'm not sure how you can tell that his subjects aren't 'interested connoisseurs'. You can't.
And the point of his fun little experiment is not to be the 'conclusive' last word, but rather to help highlight how there's a lot of guff talked by 'connoisseurs' about what equipment and ingredients are required for great-tasting coffee (and wine). His advice - cheapest shade-grown beans, cheap blade grinder and an aeropress = excellent coffee which his guinea pigs found preferable to coffee made using more expensive grinders and beans.

Keep the good book pointers coming Slackers!

I wouldn't be all that surprised if there's not much difference between burr and blade when using an aeropress but there's not a chance in hell I can pull a decent espresso from my machine with blade chopped beans. No way. I just had to modify my grinder again as I was getting shit coffee. Now  it 's a little better. I've always got my eye out for a second hand shop machine in the local vides greniers but haven't spotted one yet.

Has anyone tried roasting their own? It's impossible to get good beans locally so I was thinking of trying. If I could get any good I'd think about trying to supply them here.

petejh

• forum hero
#169 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 05:38:18 pm
Chop the larger sample size up anyway you like as long as you pre-specify your intentions and don't dredge the data, as over-stating the claims of sub-group analysis can land you in serious trouble (at least in the US).

He should have pointed out his research findings were probably false anyway...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#170 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 05:49:34 pm

When they did look in the highlighted subset there was no effect.

Keeping things  :off: but on the subject of false findings...

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False by John Ionnadis in PLoS One (open source access).

Related articles...

When Should Potentially False Research Findings Be Considered Acceptable?

Most Published Research Findings Are False—But a Little Replication Goes a Long Way

And a serious attempt to Estimate the science-wise False Discovery Rate (Type I Error/False Positive)

One of the authors blogs about it here and indicates the paper should be open access, there is also some communication that was published in the journal in response to the article linked from it, including Ionnadis who wrote the first article linked above

petejh

• forum hero
#171 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 06:03:05 pm
Yeah that's what I was referring to (as a total know-nothing layman that is)...  I remember coming across it a few years ago when I was trawling medical studies on treatment for nerve-root impingement in the back and wondering if any of the research I'd read could be trusted!

:coffee:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#172 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 08:40:14 pm

When they did look in the highlighted subset there was no effect.

Keeping things  :off: but on the subject of false findings...

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False by John Ionnadis in PLoS One (open source access).

Related articles...

When Should Potentially False Research Findings Be Considered Acceptable?

Most Published Research Findings Are False—But a Little Replication Goes a Long Way

And a serious attempt to Estimate the science-wise False Discovery Rate (Type I Error/False Positive)

One of the authors blogs about it here and indicates the paper should be open access, there is also some communication that was published in the journal in response to the article linked from it, including Ionnadis who wrote the first article linked above

I might read that at some point, but having taken part in about a dozen clinical trials, I'm not sure I even need to. (I have read a bit about the issues before and heard them from Dr friends). Us healthy subjects, we all lied. Loads of the controls were shit too.
For instance, trialling a drug where one of the major side-effects is going to be low blood sugar, they had us all on a controlled diet (as for most studies). This means everyone gets the same amount of food and must eat it. Some people on the trial weigh almost double other people on the trial. So some people are struggling not to be sick. Others, like me, collapsed from low blood sugar - a negative side effect they have to report.
Then consider that a lot of trials involve 3 day breaks where you go home. You're not allowed to drink or exercise as it'll fuck with the study findings. Yet almost everyone does at least one of the two. I actually almost got kicked off a trial once because I'd spent 3 hours at the works the day before, but I got away with it.
Then there's the multiple phase studies, where you get to stay longer and get more money only if you don't have bad side effects. So you don't report the side effects....
Tip of the iceberg.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#173 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 09, 2013, 08:42:04 pm
Increasing the sample size wouldn't solve the fundamental problems with overly-general implications he is drawing from the data.

Yes it does, with larger sample sizes you can then perform more robust and valid sub-group analysis of for example "What are the factors that influence coffee preference in hypersensitive tasters?" (the 'Psychomansam sub-group') and compare and contrast this with "What are the factors that influence coffee preference in hypo-sensitive tasters?" (the 'Psychomansam's heathen house-mates sub-group').

Thats all rather  :off: though, its only coffee and shouldn't be taken too seriously, regardless of the wording of the blog post.

Indeed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#174 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 10, 2013, 08:31:33 am
I might read that at some point, but having taken part in about a dozen clinical trials, I'm not sure I even need to. (I have read a bit about the issues before and heard them from Dr friends). Us healthy subjects, we all lied. Loads of the controls were shit too.
For instance, trialling a drug where one of the major side-effects is going to be low blood sugar, they had us all on a controlled diet (as for most studies). This means everyone gets the same amount of food and must eat it. Some people on the trial weigh almost double other people on the trial. So some people are struggling not to be sick. Others, like me, collapsed from low blood sugar - a negative side effect they have to report.
Then consider that a lot of trials involve 3 day breaks where you go home. You're not allowed to drink or exercise as it'll fuck with the study findings. Yet almost everyone does at least one of the two. I actually almost got kicked off a trial once because I'd spent 3 hours at the works the day before, but I got away with it.
Then there's the multiple phase studies, where you get to stay longer and get more money only if you don't have bad side effects. So you don't report the side effects....
Tip of the iceberg.

The papers aren't about what you describe which is actually good science, its called a controlled experiment.

Yes Adverse Events (AE) and Serious Adverse Events (SAE) have to be reported, regardless of whether they are related or unrelated to the study.  We have people reporting having a cold in a study on bone mineral density!  Clinical trials in the UK have to adhere to the MHRA's Good Clinical Practice and if it involves a drug (as oppossed to a behavioural intervention) The International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use and a whole wealth of other regulatory factors.  I have protocols to follow should I be the first to pass the fax machine or if I receive a phone call reporting AE/SAEs in any of the studies run where I work.  Neither are likely though since the fax machine is in a different office and no one would call me to report such things, I produce the reports, summaries and analysis throughout and at the end of studies.

And there is no problem in having people of different weight in a study, you simply include their weight as a co-variate in the model that you apply to the data so that variation in blood-sugar that is attributable to differences in weight is accounted for when you analyse the data.  You'd probably include age and sex as co-variates too as well as other factors that are thought to be relevant based on prior knowledge of the biology of the system.  There will always be some uncontrolled or unmeasurable factors in any study though (human bodies are pretty complex after all).

If you have an adverse event it is perfectly reasonable for you to discontinue a study, so as to prevent the worsening of those side effects, not so that you don't report any more side effects!  To suggest, as you seem to be, that you should continue on the treatment so that you can stay at the clinic and get more cash for participating is ludicrous.  If you're prescribed a licensed medication for an ailment by your GP and after starting to take it develop one of the symptoms listed in the side-effects you go back to your doctor pronto who will seek alternative medication, you don't sit around and continue taking it ignoring the side effects!

Thats not to say there aren't bad practices by pharamaceutical companies in the reporting (or not) of their studies which is widely acknowledged to exist and covered by Goldacres "Bad Pharma".  This is the "tip of iceberg" you should be more concerned with rather than well conducted clinical trials.  And if you openly admit that you "lied about being healthy" or "didn't report side effects so you could stay longer" then you should look at and question your own motivations at that time as well as questioning the practices of pharmaceutical companies as they're probably not too far away from each other (i.e. money).

Anyway, I didn't think posting about someones fun coffee experiment would lead to such a derailment.  I'll let this tangent die.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal