UKBouldering.com

longevity of shoes on grit? (Read 2157 times)

al123

• menacing presence
longevity of shoes on grit?
January 31, 2011, 09:03:20 pm
how long do most people shoes last when they are on the grit? im worried about my footwork as my shoes seem to round off around the big toe quite quickly but then again i climb on grit 2 or 3 times a week. cheers. sorry for the noob style question  :thumbsdown:

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: longevity of shoes on grit?
January 31, 2011, 09:08:52 pm
Depends on the type of boot. Different rubber types and thicknesses. I get about a year out of my Anasazi Velcro's.. Which I think is pretty good compared to others I've had before.

al123

• menacing presence
#2 Re: longevity of shoes on grit?
January 31, 2011, 09:11:15 pm
ohh yeah, 5 10 mocs slippers and scarpa instincts.
had the slippers for about 4/5 months and the big toe bit is seeming abit thin, poor footwork at a guess?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: longevity of shoes on grit?
January 31, 2011, 09:30:10 pm
time spent doing what you love... £ss per minute value for money.... find a cheaper pastime outdoors... i dare you.

seriously... this has got to be good value for money for the experiences you have had. We can always improve our footwork, but perhaps accept the costs for the memories and try to improve along the way?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: longevity of shoes on grit?
January 31, 2011, 09:44:42 pm
Fatdocs right.. I'll spend far more on diesel getting to the crag. I also have a £30 pair of madrocks for the wall.. Saves binning the decent ones..

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#5 Re: longevity of shoes on grit?
February 01, 2011, 09:52:39 am
Some moves/problems seem to take a particularly high toll on shoes. For example, I tore a chunk from the sole of my solutions using the high right pebble on deliverance necessitating a £35 resole. But given that i did the problem that was a cost i was happy to incur! Given i spent £50 on petrol just getting there the cost of shoes is small fraction of my outlay!

At the end of the day one of the nicest things about climbing on grit, the friction, is inherently bad for shoes but as fatdoc said i think you'd struggle to find a better value outdoor sport (even with shoe prices rocketing!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal