UKBouldering.com

My Protein Supplements (Read 8118 times)

joeb

• addict
My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 04:30:29 pm
Posted on here a while back about protein supplements and got slated about using anyone other than my protein. Have started training hard (for me) again and was wondering if people had good experiences with other supplements ? I use glucosamine and often take vitamin c but before i ordered my normal protein was wondering if people have thrown other stuff in ? Creatine I have used in the past to good effect but am I missing anything ?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 04:52:43 pm
its hard to answer that as you're being a bit vague. There's no magic sauce thats for sure.

You'll find other ingredients in recovery shakes (L-glutamine etc.) so as always "it depends".

joeb

• addict
#2 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 05:03:19 pm
Cheers Paul, i'm really just looking for recovery as i'm trying to keep up with quite a physical job and training 5 sessions a week. I struggle to get enough protein in my diet and have always had good effects in terms of recovery from shakes, but looking at all the L- Glutamine, MMA, different types of creatine and slow release proteins makes my head hurt and just buy the same old stuff. I know a little but sometimes a little knowledge is more dangerous than none. Its also hard to get to grips with genuine research in the supplement area as so many claims are made.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 05:09:40 pm
I don't think you can go far wrong with their Hurricane XS or Recovery XS (or any later versions of the same). A mate goes to great lengths with all of the individual compounds to make his own shake; it tastes like utter shite.

joeb

• addict
#4 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 05:28:09 pm
The only thing that scares me a little with hurricane and recovery xs is the carb count is it an issue ?

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 05:37:58 pm
Again, thats a bit vague and its dependant on specifically what you're trying to achieve.

If you've done less exercise than the equivalent calorific content of the drink then yes its going to be an issue.

On the other hand not replacing depleted glycogen (with PWO carbs) will lead to muscle catabolism which is going to be counter productive in power/strength phases.

I'm a little rusty on this as I've lost interest as my own diet/training has become less of a focus.

joeb

• addict
#6 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 25, 2011, 05:51:47 pm
Its all about strength and power with minimum 3 minute rests between problems/exercises, average session is 1hour 30 but sometimes 2 hours comes up. Its all for bouldering so not sure if i need that much carb think the hurricane looks like the stuff though and will stop me endlessly weighing up the different additions to plain old whey, thanks.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 26, 2011, 09:45:52 am
Consuming high GI carbs with the shake is necessary to help your body absorb and metabolise the protein. The insulin shot and higher ion concentration gradient generated by this both help. The sugar's not just there to make it taste sweet! Like Paul B says it will also restore depleted glycogen, making you feel better in the morning. Twice the weight of sugar to protein is generally recommended.

Have a look at glutamine, leucine and HMB as additional supplements. I tried some glutamine a while ago and didn't really notice anything special. The others I don't know.

Milford Cubicle

• player
#8 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 26, 2011, 07:00:38 pm
I've just started using the hurracaine xs, its my first protein shake of any kind and has been helping my recovery, feels like you've had a lot less of a beating the day after which is helping as im trying to train 6 days a week, choc smooth tastes pretty nice to :) I've only been having between 80 to 100 mg of it which is like a heaped scoop, whereas they say to have two scoops twice a day but that feels fine for me and saves me a LOT of money on having there suggestion. Hope something of thats helpfull :)

Also my mate brought choc nut and he says it tastes ruff compared to choc smooth  :thumbsup:

x

mark s

• junky
#9 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 26, 2011, 10:12:10 pm
I have used them when I went off climbing and started to do weights.can honestly I don't think they made any differance.I still ached next day.I am sure you get enough protien from a normal diet.the only thin I've ever taken that I noticed to work was 19norand something or other.it was a few years ago now and don't know if its still legal.ioc banned it.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#10 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 26, 2011, 10:15:15 pm
the only thin I've ever taken that I noticed to work was 19norand something or other.it was a few years ago now and don't know if its still legal.ioc banned it.

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/supplements/ingredients/19nor.asp

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 26, 2011, 10:52:10 pm
I am sure you get enough protien from a normal diet.

Clearly too much Protein and you're literally going to piss it away (frothy wee anyone?) but I'm yet to be convinced that a 'Normal Diet' (whatever that may be) is truly enough when training hard. I'm not saying that its impossible to get the required amount of Protein/Carbs etc. without shakes (including the previous sentence) I just believe that shakes make it a lot easier to do so. By the time I've driven home and cooked a decent meal usually an hour has elapsed, with a shake its there and ready to go.
However I'm pretty convinced ditching alcohol and getting enough sleep should probably be a priority before supplementing like mad. Protein shakes aren't magic bullets.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#12 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 27, 2011, 12:42:43 am
I am sure you get enough protien from a normal diet.

Clearly too much Protein and you're literally going to piss it away (frothy wee anyone?) but I'm yet to be convinced that a 'Normal Diet' (whatever that may be) is truly enough when training hard. I'm not saying that its impossible to get the required amount of Protein/Carbs etc. without shakes (including the previous sentence) I just believe that shakes make it a lot easier to do so. By the time I've driven home and cooked a decent meal usually an hour has elapsed, with a shake its there and ready to go.
However I'm pretty convinced ditching alcohol and getting enough sleep should probably be a priority before supplementing like mad. Protein shakes aren't magic bullets.

Some wise words there.
1.Sort out sleep and alcohol before you go too crazy with the diet.
2.Then get a healthy diet, with plenty of protein. This is challenging and expensive unless you're great at planning.
3.Then make sure you're taking on the right shit(carbs/protein) almost immediately before and after exercise/training

Then realise how hard that is to do without shakes unless you're very very organised. Currently i go for egg whites whisked into milk. Not as much protein as processed shakes, but it's a halfway house trying to work with a more 'natural' diet. Considering taking the plunge into shakes yet again though...

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 27, 2011, 08:46:03 am
I'm sure I read in cycling weekly a test where they compared recovery drinks to milk and they found milk to work just as well.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#14 Re: My Protein Supplements
January 27, 2011, 10:52:37 am
skimmed chocolate milk actually.
fat = bad for recovery
the extra sugar = good

has the 4:1 carb:protein ratio.
Obv doesn't have creatine or other fancy stuff you might like, but if you want that type of shit you could always add it.

Interesting, though i can't stand choc milk drinks - so bloody sweet.

p.s.
cocoa's actually supposed to be fairly useful but i don't think that's the point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal