UKBouldering.com

How many calories in booze?? (Read 9669 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: How many calories in booze??
January 25, 2011, 02:46:04 pm
Lager, Low Alcohol 57
Beer, Bitter, Low Alcohol 74
Cider, Low Alcohol 97
Lager  163
Guinness, Stout 170
Beer, Bitter 182
Cider, Dry  202
Lager 230
Cider, Sweet 240

Just shows how much they dilute low alcohol drinks.

And I never knew LA Bitter even existed. Must be well rank.

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: How many calories in booze??
January 25, 2011, 02:53:46 pm
Saturday nights excess makes for shocking reading. If it was correct however I should have doubled in size, unfortunately I haven't.

fried

• forum hero
#27 Re: How many calories in booze??
January 25, 2011, 03:10:48 pm
Quite frankly the recommended alcohol limit makes everyone in the U.K over the age of 12 an alcoholic and I'm starting to believe that their aren't really any calories in it either, and it's all just a nasty smear campaign.

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
#28 Re: How many calories in booze??
January 25, 2011, 04:09:03 pm
As a few have said the link between weight gain and calories in alcohol is a little bit of a red herring (and therefore the newsbeat calculator is pretty much bollocks all use!).

This is because alcohol doesn't convert to anything that the body can store so you aren't 'laying it down as fat' like some people might have you believe.

The problem lies with eating in combination with drinking. For starters alcohol stimulates your appetite which causes you to eat more and secondly it strongly inhibits the metabolism of fat and carbohydrate.

I understand that studies have shown drinkers can actually lose weight if they replace carbs with alcohol and can avoid eating (particularly fatty foods) around the time of drinking.

Actually, thinking about all the above, the newsbeat calculator is worse than bollocks because it makes a direct connection between food that is terrible for you and alcohol - I could see people thinking if they cut down on their drink this calculator will tell them what they could eat as a reward!  :wall:

Apologies in advance for repeating any info already posted or not proven by SCIENCE!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal