UKBouldering.com

.MOD files (Read 3780 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
.MOD files
January 24, 2011, 12:37:24 pm
Alright, know there are a few folk on here who edit video so though I'd run this past y'all.

I'm trying to make some simple non-quality videos using Movie Maker (I know, but it's basic, free and fine for my needs) with a few clips from a mate's camcorder, but not having much luck.

I'm not sure, but the issue seems to be that the camcorder (JVC if I remember rightly) appears to only generate .MOD files, which is a new one on me.

As far as I can tell, Movie Maker doesn't like .MODs at all, can't import them, and when I googled around a bit the main advice seemed to be "change the file extension to .mpg or .avi", which I tried but now MM imports them, but thinks they're audio files so I get sound but no pictures. Bizarrely Media Player does recognise them if I do this, and I get full video playback with sound!

:wall: Arrrghhh!

Anyone got any beta on how to get through this - I think my options seem to be:

a) Get new editing software - not keen as it'll only be only odd Font trip or whatever I'll need it for
b) Get hold of a file conversion app - not sure whether this will solve the problem, won't it be the same as renaming them .avi?
c) Get a camcorder that uses a more commonly recognised file type

On a), is it worth forking out for Vegas / whatever the Adobe equivalent is? Any preferences amongst the UKB Vimeo crew?

On c), out of interest is there a "standard" out there? I'd be annoyed if I forked out a couple of hundred on a new camcorder only to find it can only make videos in V-grades or some other similarly ridiculous standard...

Cheers in advance all,

TTT

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 01:07:19 pm
Sounds similar to my probs.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16694.0.html

FWIW I finally managed to get WMM 11 installed and it won't play MP4s still, says something about a codec.

so I downloaded Pinnacle Spin, which seems to work fine so far, you use it in pretty much the same way as WMM.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 01:16:15 pm
There's an ffdshow codec pack that should remove your codec worries!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 02:07:09 pm
It's been a few months since I recommended the every useful K-lite codec pack...
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Get the full version, most codecs included as well can Media Player Classic, you may find that WMM starts liking your .MODs once this is installed.

If still no joy, Pinnacle Studio or Premiere Elements are worth a look if you want an editor that is easy to use and you want to avoid having to do a Phd in editing before creating a 60second clip.

This might be useful also if you haven't seen it
http://www.salciampa.com/ms-windows/using-mod-files-with-windows-movie-maker/

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#4 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 02:54:31 pm
Cheers all, looked on Chris' other thread and noticed the mention of Avid, which in the blurb at least appears to support the .MODfathers.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=222237

As I'm a complete punter on the techno-front I think I'll give that a spin before I start mucking about with CODECs, I seem to remember I Benneted the ability to play DVDs last time I tried to "fix" something in that area!

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 03:06:09 pm
actually re-reading your post if it'll play in WMP but won't in MM then I don't think its a codec issue. Vegas 11 can edit native h.264 files and preview them successfully so I doubt it'd struggle in your case.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#6 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 04:01:16 pm
Aye, playback in Media Player works fine but I may have done something CODEC related in the past (in fact it could well have been the CODEC pack that Obi recommends...).

Did check out Vegas thinking I wouldn't mind spending out if it does the job, but even that doesn't seem to cater for .MODs either! Hey ho - might be an excuse to hook myself up with a shiny new camcorder before Font in March if none of this works!

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 04:22:28 pm
It looks like .MOD is just mpg2 anyway.

Some people have reported programs taking issue with the file extension and are advocating simply renaming it to *.mpg (maybe try with one?). If WMP can access the codecs then I'm pretty sure MM should be able to as well.

My last suggestion would be to use a converter. Prism is free and pretty simple to use.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#8 Re: .MOD files
January 24, 2011, 09:31:23 pm
Nice one Paul, went with your Prism recommendation in the end and just converted them to .avi format which MM swallowed a lot more happily.

Results not really worth posting (me flailing about on a slab) but at least I know it can be done now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal