UKBouldering.com

Recommend me some videos that feature amazing technique (Read 11814 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Will try to get round to posting up footage of Katy trying Angel’s Share (unfortunately I’d left the crag when she did it). Immaculate slab (and falling) technique (except the bit she falls off obviously).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It is a massive generalisation, bit I think there is a kernel of truth to it. Women tend to have lower power-to-weight ratios and centres of gravity compared to men. These things push you in a less powerful, more technical direction.

True. I suppose I just get tired of the cliche and can think of lots of examples of women with shocking technique (and vice versa). Just because their physicality pushes someone in a certain direction it doesn't necessarily follow that they will be any good at it.

Yes, watching / climbing with a woman with immaculate climbing technique could be beneficial for someone wants to improve but the same is true regardless of gender.

Anyway, I'm boring myself. Fat arse.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
try climbing with girls a lot and watch their style (not their asses) as girls generally tend to climb with much better technique

I think that's one of the biggest clichés in climbing - the idea that because women are generally weaker they have to use technique instead of strength to get up things. The reality is that because they're weaker they just don't climb as hard. I've not seen any trend of women exhibiting better technique, if any thing I'd say that in one respect they're slightly worse as they tend to be less dynamic.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
try climbing with girls a lot and watch their style (not their asses) as girls generally tend to climb with much better technique

Blah, blah, blah...

I hadn't read J&J's posts when I posted.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I’ve seen plenty of crimp obsessed front-wheeling female climbers dragging their feet behind them like abandoned parrots. I've seen plenty with great technique.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Yes, watching / climbing with a woman with immaculate climbing technique could be beneficial for someone wants to improve

I'm not sure watching immaculate technique is that useful other than for inspiration. However I can imagine that, at a given grade, guys who climb with guys might benefit from climbing with bords now and again. The whole power cult that tends to develop amongst wall-going lads does not breed good technique.

I think that's one of the biggest clichés in climbing... because they're weaker they just don't climb as hard

Well you could argue that is because 'hard climbing' is defined as what men are good at/ there are less of them/ wasn't Lynn's ascent of El Cap the best ever? Ned and Michele both climb harder than Katy, but they took a lot longer to get up Angel's Share.
QED: GIRLS ARE BETTER AT SLABS.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I’ve seen plenty of crimp obsessed front-wheeling female climbers dragging their feet behind them like abandoned parrots. I've seen plenty with great technique.

:agree:
I've seen plenty of female climbers who don't have fat arses too. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Yes, watching / climbing with a woman with immaculate climbing technique could be beneficial for someone wants to improve

I'm not sure watching immaculate technique is that useful other than for inspiration.

Yes that's why I qualified the statement with "/climbing with" as this definitely can be helpful.

However I can imagine that, at a given grade, guys who climb with guys might benefit from climbing with bords someone weaker but who is a better climber now and again. The whole power cult that tends to develop amongst wall-going lads does not breed good technique.

Yes I agree.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Well you could argue that is because 'hard climbing' is defined as what men are good at/ there are less of them/ wasn't Lynn's ascent of El Cap the best ever? Ned and Michele both climb harder than Katy, but they took a lot longer to get up Angel's Share.
QED: GIRLS ARE BETTER AT SLABS.

Pop down to the Quay in Exeter... (or Ansteys any fair morning)

And just watch Cherry for a couple of minutes.

Then go home, wipe the tear from your eye and just give up.

Doylo

• forum hero
Dense defo takes it, as graceful as two lard arses making love on a water bed

Eddies

• forum hero
The Buxton Stickman  :bow:

Patrick Edlinger:
Opera Vertical part 3

P-Witty:

dave

ferret

• forum abuser

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Flexibility, strength, and grit awareness combined into one:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Etc
Truly awesome technique.

Obsure enough reference for puntering, funny enough for wadding. Hmmmmmm

lmarenzi

• regular
  • Receptionist at Comici, Buhl, Dawes & Sharma, Ltd
  • Punter
Totally off topic  :sorry:

Seems to me that birds have better technique because they are, on average, smaller lighter and have more FLEXIBILITY and BODY AWARENESS than blokes, which is why they have naturally better technique, which you might like to define as how hard you can climb vs. how strong you are.

The reason why it is commonly assumed that blokes climb harder than birds is because blokes can climb higher grades. The problem here is that for whatever reason about 99.8 % of all hard routes seem to have been put up by blokes.

On routes put up by birds its a much more even playing field. Only two come to mind at all here, Hill's Nose and Rodden's Meltdown (in Yosemite but unrepeated?). Be interesting to hear of any other really cutting edge FAs over the years?

Funnily enough, neither one of these lines was actually conceived of by the bird in question, and are actually unfinished blokes projects.

Once BWGCRH start conceiving and putting up routes with holds for really small fingers and really small feet and requiring fine balance and circus performer flexibility and give them hight grades blokes will get burnt off really badly, regardless of how many one armers they can do.

:popcorn:

PS I don' think its so bad to look at their arses either ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal