UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Those things you need to get a car radio out. (Read 9891 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
I'm sure there was a thread about this once but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Anyone got a set of these I can borrow in Leeds? Failing that, any way to get car radios out quickly and efficiently?

Cheers

Paul B

• forum hero
which car?

VW's etc. you usually remove a piece of trim then the star shaped torqs (sp?) screws. The other sets you can buy from halfrauds.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Got a set in the garage but not a lot of use to you as I am in Sheffield - think Screwfix do them as well which might be cheaper.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

tomtom

• forum hero
If its one with four round holes - one in each corner - then the correct tool is a U shaped bit of metal that goes in each side (one prong down each hole) and the prong pushes a couple of metal tabs inwards to to the stereo, which allows the radio to be pulled out. if you can find two small screwdrivers - or even bbq squewers (wooden ones have worked) that fit snugly down the holes then put them both in on ones side wiggle around a bit and you should be able to free up one side. Then work on the other etc.. that with a little gentle pursuasion (force) should get it out.
See below

If its different and requires flat tools - ferk knows!  :shrug:

andy_e

• forum hero
It's to remove a non-standard radio from a Peugeot, so I'll have a look tonight, thanks for the advice!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've done the U Shaped ones with a coathanger cut in half.

As someone said, there are many different types of tool, depends on the car and or make of stereo.

tomtom

• forum hero
I've done the U Shaped ones with a coathanger cut in half.

thats the ticket! done that before.. good advice Chris...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
depends on which type of radio. If your passing manchester I have quite a lot of different type in my tool box

account_inactive

• forum hero
If it was the same as my radio then hacksaw blades are your friend (for poking not sawing)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
If it's this type I've used small hacksaw blades in the past, remember for most types your just releasing a clip so anything that fits will work.

[/quote]

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Boom, Dylan and I think alike..and post at the same time.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Ive used jigsaw blades before

youngy

• player
Just wait till you go Northumberland sure one of the 10 scousers there will have it out an gone within 30 secs  ;)

hairich

• obsessive maniac
slacxkers beat me to it.a "ned" non educated deli oh fuck how do you spell that

andy_e

• forum hero
Got the radio out fairly easily, however there are a few new problems - the new radio uses battery when the ignition is off and won't turn off, and the new radio won't sit in properly. Any ideas?

For those wanting to know, two thin dinner knives were used.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Wire it up correctly sounds like a good starting point  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
and the new radio won't sit in properly. Any ideas?

Try "training radios - The Barbara Woodhouse Way"

I think the usual method is to say "sit radio sit" and pull firmly on a lead. If it does it properly reward it with a twiddle of its knob.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
the new radio uses battery when the ignition is off and won't turn off, and the new radio won't sit in properly. Any ideas?

Most radios have 2 input feeds - a permanent live, and a switched live.  The permanent live is where the main power goes in, and also stops the radio loosing your presets etc when its off.  The switched one tells it to be on/off with the ignition/key. 

If it won't turn off properly with the ignition then I'd guess that your switched live input to the back of the stereo is permanent too.  You can test this by unplugging the 'switched' live from the back of the stereo before mounting it ion the dash and while it is on.  If it goes off then that's you problem.  The stereo manual will have instructions of the wiring in it somewhere.  Carefull when unplugging single wires not to touch the cable against the metal of the car, since in cars then the metal chassis is wired to the -ve post of the battery and at best you'll blow a fuse if you do....

If thats the case you can solve it you can just find another switched live in the fuse box - use a multimeter to test for it.  If you wire up the switched side to the correct (output) side of the fuse then the switched live will also be fused properly as well.  Remember to tape up and make safe any cables you cut too.

As for making it sit properly in the dash then you may need some kind of fascia adapter - halfords do stuff by autoleads or much better your local car stereo place should be able to tell you what you need.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
andy you have to awap one of the wires round on peugeots to make it store settings etc when the ignition is switched off.cant remember which wire without removing my stereo but will try and find next week.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
what Chris said, the permanent live is usually red and the switched live is normally yellow (black is neutral of course) although this is always the case and some cars use a can bus system which is different altogether and you'll have to take a switched live from elsewhere.
If you don't understand any of this then get someone else to do it for you as you'll just blow a load of fuses and have no radio/lights etc...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Sounds like you've fallen foul of one of the most ridiculous anomalies in car design, although many manufacturers standardized on a ISO connector (left hand of image) they forgot to standardize the pins in them so when I moved a stereo from a Volvo to a SEAT I had to move the permanent live to a different pin.
 :wall:

Bloody annoying but not to tricky to sort if you google what it should be like for your car and have a multi-meter to check which is which.

andy_e

• forum hero
Cheers guys. Anybody got a multimeter? Beep.

Paul B

• forum hero
they're cheap as chips at your local Maplin electronics, otherwise surely being a student you know someone in a scientific dept. that can borrow one?

andy_e

• forum hero
The only multimeter I can probably get access to in my department gets stuck down boreholes so I doubt it'll work for a car radio. Apparently in Peugeots, the red and yellow wires need to be switched as they are the other way around to normal. How do i fiddle with one of these to do that? I.e. How do I get the pin out?
ISO connector (left hand of image)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal