UKBouldering.com

How many hits? (Read 5256 times)

Teaboy

• forum hero
How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 12:59:20 pm
Do any of you bloggers know how many visits your site gets each post? What is the recognised way of meansuring traffic to a blog, is it number if visits, number of followers or what?

I'm just asking out of curiosity as I'm a fan of many climbing blogs but wondered how popular they are with others. I suppose really I should add how many othe. People read climbing blogs and which ones? I read most of thoes that come up here (Dobbin's, Stu's and Doylo's being particular favourites) but I also enjoy Malcolm Kent's for it's shear lunacy

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 01:03:45 pm
I get about a 100 visits a day when blogging on a regular basis. This tails off during periods of quietness. I use google analytics to measure my hits.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 01:20:52 pm
Cheers Adam, now I feel bad I didn't mention yours as its one of only two I've been mentioned in (the other beingMark McGowans which I should also have mentioned because it is far and away the most inspiring of all training blogs) but you don't update it enough!

100 hits a day is quite a lot, I don't know what the circulation of climbing mags is but with some nurturing these blogs ought to be quite a powerful media in climbing

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
Second Google Analytics as the way to analyse hits on your own site.

Absolute hits is not a good indication as it doesn't take into account how long someone has spent viewing the page.  Its all very well having lots of hits, but if they're all ~1 second then its highly unlikely they'll be reading the blog/webpage and chances are they'll mostly be web-crawlers indexing the site for search engines or bots looking for security holes (unless self-hosting or your hosters have set up robots.txt to prevent your site from being indexed by web-crawlers/ban bots, but if the former, how would anyone find your site?).  Its like UKC using their "registered users" to indicate that their a popular si

@Teaboy, if you use Firefox have a look at Feedly for aggregating blog posts (& RSS & twitter & lots else), very good (hat tip to PaulB for that tip-off).

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 04:55:41 pm
I've been using statcounter.com for the last 6 or 7 years... seem to work OK for me.. (free)

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 05:59:53 pm
Isn't analytics built into blogger currently?

Anyway if you're desperate for more hits I'd suggested hurting yourself. The spikes on my blog traffic coincide perfectly with large injuries.

(Slackers - The new Feedly is a pain on netbooks because of the Feedly mini which is always near your scroll bar!)

Doylo

• forum hero
#6 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 06:04:34 pm
I use Site meter. Site Meter shows locations, referrals and other stuff which can be interesting. Quite cool to see hits from asia and oz.My average views a day varies from 80 to 170 depending on whether anything interesting is going down or not in North Wales. The blogpile on here must affect views as i guess a lot of people just look for updates on UKB rather than looking at the actual blog.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#7 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 06:07:43 pm
I rarely check the blogs themselves nowadays (save for photo's).

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 06:37:10 pm

BUSTED!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#9 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 10:41:24 pm
He's left handed.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: How many hits?
January 18, 2011, 10:51:08 pm

Ditto, feedly or Greader on my phone is often better and I don't have to put up with whatever whim the nutter on the other end had during their last LSD trip that led to luminous orange backgrounds and yellow text.

There's nothing more annoying than enforced click-throughs (27crags/Shark). I still wish I could turn off the blog pile.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: How many hits?
January 19, 2011, 12:20:37 am
I still wish I could turn off the blog pile.

:agree: Only click on them so they don't appear in my "Unread threads" view of the forum.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#12 Re: How many hits?
January 19, 2011, 09:28:49 am
As something of a Luddite\lazy git I find it very useful though I'm aware there are probably better options for aggregating all these.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: How many hits?
January 19, 2011, 09:33:35 am
As something of a Luddite\lazy git I find it very useful though I'm aware there are probably better options for aggregating all these.

Look at the Feedly link I posted further up (if you use Firefox).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal