technical > computers, technology and the internet

There's an app for that?

<< < (2/142) > >>

Paul B:

--- Quote from: Jim on January 10, 2011, 10:41:50 am ---Welcome to 2011  ;D

--- End quote ---

Shouldn't that be welcome to 2010, I'm sure by now I'm already well behind.

Do you just use the standard mail widget for your gmail and not the app?

Have you enabled that tracking thing in case its lost/stolen?

Zods Beard:
Myplayer is pretty good, basically iplayer for the mobile, watch your download limit tho. Advanced Task Killer free is good for saving battery life. And Google Sky Maps is a pretty good toy too.

slackline:

--- Quote from: Zods Beard on January 10, 2011, 02:04:51 pm ---Myplayer is pretty good, basically iplayer for the mobile, watch your download limit tho.

--- End quote ---

iPlayer support should be native under 2.2 (if thats whats on your Wildfire)

--- Quote from: Zods Beard on January 10, 2011, 02:04:51 pm ---Advanced Task Killer free is good for saving battery life.

--- End quote ---

Its a misconception that you need to kill tasks all the time (and one I had until I realised that actually under the hood Android is still Linux).

\begin{long boring geeky explanation}
The one time you need to do it is if a program has gone awry and is using all of the CPU, you do not have to worry about killing programs just to free up RAM in the hope of saving energy/extending battery life.

Android is running a Linux kernel and the way Linux handles memory is to allow a program to have its memory space whilst its running, when the program ends it still sits in memory using up the space it used, so it may appear that you have no memory left and you think you'll improve performance by killing some of those programs that are sitting in RAM using it up but not being used by you.  But Linux has been designed to do this on purpose, if you restart a program, e.g. a web-browser, its already in memory and starts up quicker.  But what about when a new program is started and there isn't enough free RAM I hear you ask, well thats not a problem, because at that point the kernel glances at whats in RAM, checks to see whats actually being used and kicks out that program which is sat there and not being used, freeing up enough RAM for the new program.

Thus you don't actually need to waste your time actively killing programs you've exited just to free up RAM, because it won't make any difference to performance as the kernel is very good at managing RAM.

My Linux systems (one with 6Gb and one with 8Gb RAM) regularly have close to 0% of RAM free, but I never experience any delay/lag in opening up new programs or with general usability.

And to get to the crux, stuff sat in memory doesn't use any power, stuff using the CPU will do.  If you've apps running that you don't want stop them from starting up in the first place, otherwise you'll be forever trying to kill them. (See under Settings somewhere, kind of depends on which app, some have settings within the app, I found ShopSavvy always started up on its own and sat there, never use it so deleted it).
\end{long boring geeky explanation}

You can read an article on this specifically about Android task managers here.

Stubbs:
Not sure how it works on the other handsets, but on the Desire you can just go settings>applications>manage applications and force close anything that's going wrong there, so you don't even need to install an ap to do it for you.

Paul B:
On a tip-off from Dobbin I looked into:

Swype - which is in closed beta although they seem to be still giving trial beta packages out? Anyway this seems to be beyond my phones res (hopefully QVGA won't be totally ignored for the next year or so!).

Instead I found:

SlideIT - identical apart from being a bit less slick to look at. Allows you to input text without taking your finger off and as Dobalob points out "the world text message record is from an android phone using swype!"
Where's my droid? - in case you lose it or its stolen, send a txt to turn it off silent and ring or alternatively to turn GPS on and send you back the location and a google maps link

"ain't technology brilliant?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version