UKBouldering.com

Climbing Hangar opens Sat 8th January 12:00 (Read 27366 times)

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
Climbing Hangar opens Sat 8th January 12:00
January 04, 2011, 11:56:04 am

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
 :bounce: :bow: :beer2: :thumbsup:

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
Looks very good wish you every success will check it out on my journey north on a friday night.  whats the entry fee  couldnt see it on the web site? ;D :bounce:

andy popp

• forum hero
Had the privilege of a sneaky test-run this evening: it seemed great, much bigger than it looks on the video on the other thread, loads of space, great shapes, interesting problems. Phase II will make it massive. Looking forward to Saturday.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
 ;D :thumbsup: :dance1: :great:

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
Report?

JohnM

• junky
Too many slopers.

andy popp

• forum hero
Did I meet you today John? I was the one climbing really badly.

Report: = great (and not too many slopers).

JohnM

• junky
Yeah I think so.  Were you climbing with Pete?  I just felt that a lot of the harder problems revolved around marginal slopers.  I like slopers but when there is too many indoors their friction deteriorates really quickly rendering alot of problems almost impossible.  Apart from that I thought the range of angles and features was brilliant and the quality of problems was generally very good.  The building is also light and airy and there was a really good atmosphere in there.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I only stuck to the easier cicruits but they were well set with tendon friendly holds and only a few rapey crimps! lots of wide pinches/slopey holds... was good fun!

It's also nice and cool in the building, so it didn't get too warm even with a lot of people in there.

ducko

• junky
looking forward too getting over here at some point this year, hope it takes off well  ;D

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
Looks good! I'll make it a point to look in and spend a few hours killing my fingers.

Good luck with it!

Soap

• regular
It was pretty good in there yesterday, a lot of small children running around so you had to keep an eye open with them running underneath you but otherwise awesome. Lots of pretty cool traverses and nice problems.

andy popp

• forum hero
I just felt that a lot of the harder problems revolved around marginal slopers.

Ahh, too many slopers on the harder problems - that'll be why I didn't notice. Yeah, that was me.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
I though overall it was fab. Lots of variety in the problems and angles. Yes, there were lots of slopers, but you very rarely get boney crimps indoors, so that didn't detract from the pleasure. There wasn't anything super steep, but that will come in the next phase I guess. The atmosphere was great, lots of people having fun. As for having lots of kids (well, one of them was mine), I think it's great that they could go along and enjoy themselves and climb in safety.

Soap

• regular
Yeh, wasn't so much a complaint about the kids, just had to keep your eyes open. You know what kids are like
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:31:27 pm by Soap »

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
IAs for having lots of kids (well, one of them was mine), I think it's great that they could go along and enjoy themselves and climb in safety.

Just remembered that I cratered onto my son's head from the top of the wall  :oops: :o Luckily the restorative powers of Lucozade healed him  :thumbsup:

JohnM

• junky
Ha ha you actually forgot about that!?  I thought your comment about kids climbing in safety was tongue in cheek.  I was going to say I distinctly remember one man falling from the top of the wall and totalling this kid!

BenF

• forum hero
That's hilarious Andy!  Top dad skills.

As for the wall, I went down there today and thought it was brilliant.  Yeah some more crimps would help, but the angles and the problems were fantastic on the whole I thought.  Some of the harder (ie yellow and white) problems were really, really well thought out.  I often find at bouldering walls that I can easily climb up to a certain level but get stopped dead by everything above that level, and that no matter how much work I put in, I just can't progress either in that session or further sessions.  Often just because of a stopper move.  However, today I found that I did progress on stuff and felt that more progress is likely in future visits.  Maybe I'm just a bit shit, but I don't know, I did think that the problems lent themselves towards gradual progress and unlocking (similar to real boulder problems).

boulderliverpool

Dear All,

It is most heartening to see such a tide of overwhelming postive comments about our new wall.  Granted there were hiccups here and there  :oops: and I will chat a little more about these tomorrow when I'm not semi-comatose  :alky: from overwork/undersleep/death syndrome.   

Our opening weekend was a great success with at least several people turning up of which some climbed.  All I can accurately say about the exact numbers is it took Mark 1hr5mins to hoover the mats.

That said we are all dead chuffed about the wall, psyched by the postive feedback and keen to get on and correct the teething problems that any new business is prone to make.

Huge thanks for those of you who came and thanks to everyone thinking of coming!

Soap

• regular
IAs for having lots of kids (well, one of them was mine), I think it's great that they could go along and enjoy themselves and climb in safety.

Just remembered that I cratered onto my son's head from the top of the wall  :oops: :o Luckily the restorative powers of Lucozade healed him  :thumbsup:

Ah was that you! Was he the one as you were leaving saying "Why" to everything you said? Haha. Also to be honest I thought there was a 50/50 balance of crimps and slopers and for once was pulling harder on the slopers which hasn't happened before, probably because of the new holds so no need to get hopes up haha. Could maybe do with a few more crimpy problems but not many more I think
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:03:54 am by Soap »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Ah was that you! Was he the one as you were leaving saying "Why" to everything you said?

No that will have been Senior talking to Junior ;)

Congratulations guys on what sounds to have been a great opening. Really looking forward to checking the wall out this week.

BenF

• forum hero
Monolith, you were a topic of conversation between me and Sean Hoppo.  There's a nasty crimpy problem that's got you written all over it. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I sincerely hope that was son the elder. Could have done some serious damage to the Younger. Especially feeding him Lucozade.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Yes it was the elder son who acted as a soft landing zone for his father and he does have an inquiring mind. I wouldn't feed the younger son Lucozade, he's happy with milk. Or land on him from the top of the wall. That would do him some damage. But not as much as Mrs F would do to me when she found out  :spank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal