UKBouldering.com

Entry Level Yorkshire V10s (Read 10756 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#25 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 01:55:56 pm
Here's a list of quality 7cs in Yorkshire:

http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/search.html?action=search&text=7c

One thing I just found - if you want to search for 7c+ you have to change the "+" in the url to "%2B" otherwise it doesn't recognise the +.

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
#26 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 04:04:06 pm
Yeah that was me beneath underhand. Thanks for reminding me of Jess's roof, Ive been putting it off because I've hardly ever had enough mats or spotters!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#27 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 05:18:16 pm
Yeah that was me beneath underhand. Thanks for reminding me of Jess's roof, Ive been putting it off because I've hardly ever had enough mats or spotters!

...and there's the ever-present smell of piss!  That said I'm eager to give it a go. 

I'd love to do Ben's Groove standing - I think if it as the biggest hole on my yorkshire grit ticklist.  But, I've never given it a good go, purely out of fear (I figured Secret 7th was a safer bet for success in both senses, even though it's reputedly harder).  Does everyone else boulder in big groups with tonnes of spotters? Because, in response to the OP,  BG-ss doesn't strike me as an easy-to-work target, ideal for someone breaking into the grade and who's likely to be taking falls.  Bad landing, high, frequently green and with a faintly baffling looking upper section that never seems to have any holds chalked.

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 07:28:13 pm

I've not done jess' roof but have spent several hours there spotting folk (and the odd go..). If you have three mats (one large two med) it's fine and I'd have no qualms about having a crack n my own with above mats.

It's also never smelt of piss the 5 or 6 times I've been up there in the last 18 months.. But if there is a westerly wind and it's a bit nippy, it's Fecking Baltic in the cave up there! Great problem from what I've done of it..

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#29 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 08:42:48 pm
once went there to do it and there was a human shit in the back of the roof!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#30 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 29, 2010, 09:16:29 pm
That's no way to speak about Dense!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#31 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 30, 2010, 09:30:31 am
strangely enough i was there, n saltbeef went missing for a few minutes beforehand...
see u down wall bout 1 or 2 again andy

Nemo

• addict
#32 Re: Entry Level Yorkshire V10s
December 30, 2010, 12:19:19 pm
Moose – appearances can be deceiving.  I remember feeling the same way before I did the stand to Ben’s but it’s way less gnarly than it looks (it probably helps to see someone do it though…)  Pretty sure you’ll change your mind if or when you do it.  The two moves to the pocket are by far the hardest physically.  The move up from there is awkward – it feels wrong / commiting / intimidating putting your LF up – but once you do rock up to the sidepull it eases off and the rest is a bit easier (although scary the first time up…)  Also the two holds above the pocket are fairly positive and you can’t really see into them from the ground – they are often clean enough when the wall around looks luminous.

Not sure teams of spotters will help.  Only really room for one I think? – just have someone stood on a pad on top of the ridge ready to grab you – it suddenly feels a lot less scary.  A few pads wouldn’t go amiss though.  But if you’re anyway near to doing Secret Seventh, Ben’s should be pretty steady – it’s light years easier (and no where near as conditions dependent).

And most folks doing the sit, tend to do the top out a bunch of times and have it dialled before going for the link – it really should be all over once you’ve latched the pocket unless you’re terminally pumped…  It’s a good one to have a play on as it’s easy to work all the hard section, but the moves in the lower groove are pretty full on and there’s quite a few of them, so I don’t think many people think it’s an easy one for 7C+.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal