UKBouldering.com

Hamstring Problems (Read 4974 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 05:03:11 pm
In April, i tore, or maybe partially tore my hamstring. It was a day or two before going to Spain, so didn't get it treated. Anyway, it slowly got better(ish), but now, 8 months down the line its still giving me a bit of pain. Mainly when sat down at my desk or driving it can be uncomfortable. After some climbing sessions it hurts too. Also not as flexible in that leg any more either.

Now, what would be the best thing to do with it. I never really stretch it or have given it any physio. If i focussed on stretching it for a few weeks/month, what are the chances of it getting better on its own?

T_B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 05:32:11 pm
I tore mine 10 months ago. Saw a physio, it got better, but has now plateaued and still gives me discomfort sitting/driving and it's not as strong as it was. I suspect I need more treatment on it. You'll just be protecting it doing nothing and the scar tissue will be building up nicely  :'(

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 05:35:58 pm
Saw a physio, it got better

Any stretches you would recommend Tom?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#3 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 05:59:20 pm
I badly tore mine in 2003.  I went to a physio.  You should do this too;they have magical hands, although I wouldn't say it was a massage; more of a pummeling.  After it i could get my bad leg behind my head (I couldn't do this with my good leg).

It's likened to spaghetti.  Cooked cold spaghetti won't slide past other bits.  You need to warm it up to get it to slide easily.

A physio will tell you all the stretches.  I don't think i could do them justice in written format.  One easy one is sitting on a plastic bag on a carpeted floor, then drag yourself around using your heels.

No pain, no gain i'm afraid

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 06:25:25 pm
Saw a physio, it got better

Any stretches you would recommend Tom?

I can't remember to be honest  :-[ That's why I think I need to go again! They always talking about "stressing" the injury, so I've made sure I've heelhooked on it, but am very careful. But now is doesn't seem to be getting any better. To my wife's chagrin I have also bought some Skins shorts  :-[  :-[

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#5 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 06:32:17 pm
To my wife's chagrin I have also bought some Skins shorts  :-[  :-[

Lovely image Tom

:-[

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#6 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 06:40:06 pm

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#7 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 16, 2010, 06:41:10 pm
You know the score.

Suppose she would have time to give my back a good workout too, as the sessions are long enough.

rodma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 17, 2010, 12:57:26 pm
One easy one is sitting on a plastic bag on a carpeted floor, then drag yourself around using your heels.

Like a dog with worms, you should film that  :P

In April, i tore, or maybe partially tore my hamstring. It was a day or two before going to Spain, so didn't get it treated. Anyway, it slowly got better(ish), but now, 8 months down the line its still giving me a bit of pain. Mainly when sat down at my desk or driving it can be uncomfortable. After some climbing sessions it hurts too. Also not as flexible in that leg any more either.

Now, what would be the best thing to do with it. I never really stretch it or have given it any physio. If i focussed on stretching it for a few weeks/month, what are the chances of it getting better on its own?

I tore my right hammy a few years back and got a load of physio and massage etc. and ended up getting accupuncture from the physio as a last resort. She stuck one needle into the top of the nerve just under my buttock and the other into the back of my knee and then twizzled them around for a while  :'( . It was F***ing agony at the time, but def got rid of the pain/tension once and for all. I'm sure it's not for everyone though.

Physio all the way for sure. Cold stretching damaged areas is definately not good.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#9 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 17, 2010, 02:15:56 pm
As far as not stretching cold muscles Roddy, i generally will only stretch after a bath/shower/sauna.

rodma

• forum hero
#10 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 18, 2010, 12:05:52 pm
That's good. I had to stretch really really gently to avoid aggrevating it.

rich d

• forum hero
#11 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 18, 2010, 12:13:25 pm
As far as not stretching cold muscles Roddy, i generally will only stretch after a bath/shower/sauna/sunbed.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#12 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 18, 2010, 12:35:17 pm
As far as not stretching cold muscles Roddy, i generally will only stretch after a bath/shower/sauna/sunbed.

:lol:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#13 Re: Hamstring Problems
December 18, 2010, 07:14:44 pm
My hamstrings are super tight so touching my toes is a challenge. Whenever my missus gets a complimentary pass to the gym I always finish in the sauna, stretching for about 15 mins. ie sat down, legs out straight, toes back and slight lean forwards. Not sure if it helps much but at least I don't get some sweaty bloke sat directly in front of me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal